“Excellent Experience”
Review of El Jardin de Frida

El Jardin de Frida
Ranked #4 of 146 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I love this place. It's by beautiful, with colorful murals all over the walls and a luscious courtyard full of tropical vegetation and fun little statues. The dorm was comfortable and quiet, which is a welcome break from the noisy hostel atmosphere in Cancun. The shower was the best I've ever had at a hostel, with great water pressure. There is no AC but the fans are super powerful and we lucked out with rainy cool weather for our stay so I was quite comfortable. The location is great, just a 5-10 minute walk from dozens of restaurants and shops, and a 15 minute bike ride to the beach and ruins. Highly recommended for anyone passing through Tulum!

Room Tip: I stayed in the dorm by the kitchen and was very comfortable. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe this i...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I really enjoyed staying a few days in the lovely hostel El Jardin de Frida in Tulum. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hostel and restaurant are wonderfully decorated in the Mexican folk art style. The dorm I stayed in had a jungle theme and was spacious. And then the garden itself... great to spend some time in!
I highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

El Jardin the Frida is a special place in Tulum pueblo. The whole place has been decorated very creatively in the Mexican folk art style. Our room was very big as well as the bed. The rooms have nice balconies. There is a fan, but doesn't really cool the room at night. The hotel is a 15 min walk from the center. Breakfast is just cereals and bananas but you can use the kitchen to make your own meals.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The highlight of staying at El Jardin was experiencing the community that Rafa is working to create (which is still in process). I enjoyed the Saturday market that he hosts, and took advantage of both the restaurant on the property and the healers working on site. My singular best experience in Tulum altogether was the healing that I received from Maria Lucia (who works on Tuesdays, if you are there on a Tuesday, I highly recommend it and, book in advance as she fills up well in ahead of time) - she is a truly gifted healer. I might even find myself returning to study with her in the future . . .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jenn_G_13330
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I already had a biased opinion of the hostel being that my name is Frida. I loved it here! The staff was amazing, the groceries available for breakfast were delicious(best avocados EVER!), and all of the other guests where wonderful and friendly. Frida the dog was a sweetheart and there was a kitten (I'm sure full grown by now) that became our friend and hung out with us in our room. Having the bikes available was also great, pretty much anywhere you wanna go is a short bike ride away, so there is no need to spend money on taxies. I loved this place and plan on coming back!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've travelled a lot around the world, and by far this is one of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed in!! The staff was excellent, and the garden surroundings are beautiful!! A very Zen feeling all around the grounds with hammocks , and art work all over the place. You get a very welcoming feeling as soon as you step into the main office and common area, as well as they have a nicely decorated bar at night if you don't feel like going out but would still like to chat and have a couple of drinks in the evening. It's not far from the ADO bus terminal and has one of the best seafood restaurants in Tulum right across the street. Although you do have to take a taxi to the beach it's a small price to pay to stay in a clean and very comfortable
and inviting hostel. I will definately stay there again!! Julie (Canada)

Room Tip: We had a private room upstairs, very quiet, with a great view out the back door!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julie m
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in a private room and became so comfortable that we didn't want to leave. The room was spacious, clean and had one of the best showers in Mexico. The garden itself is beautiful and peaceful and gorgeous Frida was always quick to make friends with her guests. It is located close to an amazing fresh fruit and veg grocer and supermarket for any supplies. If, on the other hand, you don't feel like cooking, then luckily you have two of Tulum's best restaurants at your doorstep. El Camello right across the road serves outstanding and fresh seafood while the seasonal selection of food from Frida's own restaurant and bar was delicious as well. If I'm ever in Tulum again, I know where I'll stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple