“Meets High Expectations”

Hartwood
Ranked #36 of 413 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local sea-to-table ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Pesos only.
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is THE hot spot in Tulum. Believe it or not, getting a table there is challenging on most nights. No reservations are accepted unless you have a part of 8 or more so it is key that you arrive by 6:30 or 7:00pm. The overall feel is similar to other restaurants other than the open fire grill and wood burning oven in the back. The quality and uniqueness of the food was great. The menu changes every night depending on the fresh catches but there are some staples. The short ribs are apparently their most popular and were sold out by the time of our 8pm seating. The ceviche was very good and the arranchera steak we had was smokey and tender delivered on top of lobster with smashed yucca (potatoes). I don't know that I would wait in line to get seated here again but if they had a table open we would go. You should probably try it once if you are in Tulum for a week or longer.

1  Thank Jim R

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Hartwood gave us one of the best meals we've ever had! Marlin Ceviche was incredible. Pulpo was amazing. We wanted to go again the next night so badly!! Thanks so much!!

1  Thank JenniT T
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I heard a lot of amazing things about this restaurant but I was not really impressed. This place was a bit snobby and overpriced for Mexico. It is a beautiful setting and the food was good. It was about $100 per person which to me, in Tulum, is outrageous. It definitely has that big city attitude. The drinks were tasty but so weak I wonder if there was even any alcohol in them. The wine list was OK and the portions were so huge! It was weird to me that they would serve that much food to one person. They pride themselves on not using electricity but, come to find out, lots of places on the beach road, or in Tulum in general, use limited electricity. I just wasn't impressed. The flavors were lacking a bit while most of the meat was cooked well. The octopus, however, was charred way too much and all you could taste was gristle. I just expected it to be better. If you want to go spend a bunch of money on food that wouldn't make it in a larger city, this place is for you. The jicama salad that we had as an appetizer was incredible though and by far the best thing we had that night.

1  Thank Jenna S
Reviewed August 7, 2014

athmosphere really nice, cute the place you want to spend a candle light dinner ( they all have candles here by the way, they barely have electricity)... until you get to the front door... if u lucky to get a table ( no possible to reserve) then it's ok.. nice drinks... and here comes the food, overpriced for what they want to sell and at the end, not high quality food , or at least I had bad luck to pick - I didn't say anything, but since they asked me, I ask the manager if he really wanted to hear it.... he said yes, so then I told him all I have to say. If you are selling a piece of meat ( sort of a steak) at $35 in mexico, I think it better be damm good... and it was not. not tender at all and way ovecooked (i asked medium rare)... but this is all behind, the waitreses attitude again, it seems like they just came out of a fashion show , and like I said, they all have an attitude that doesn't belong to them.. this is my opinion. If they drop some attitude and get better quality of food, then they can keep their prices...and the "cool fashion VIP" feeling they want to have...

1  Thank mnyork
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Went to Hartwood with wife and two children in mid-July. For some reason I thought it was actually on the beach - it's not! It's on the beach road, but there's no indication of the beach in the restaurant. My bad.
We got there about 5.30, worried we might have to wait - which wouldn't have been fun with the two kids (8 and 5). There were only two couples ahead of us in the queue, though, so as soon as it opened at 6, we could go straight in. The welcome by all staff was pretty much flawless, in a laid-back-beachy kind of way. Great with the kids. But then the food - wow. The food. Absolutely stunning. I *think* we ate as follows: kids shared a starter (calamari - they didn't like, I loved), I had cactus ("nopal") salad, wife had ceviche (gorgeous and fresh!). Kids share octopus main course (we *all* loved), I had their stunning "signature" dish (I was told) of short ribs, while wife had the steak.

Downsides:
* it was pricey - definitely tourist prices, not Mexican prices, both for drinks and food - but you can't really complain about that I don't think? Maybe you can - can't find the receipt, but I think it was around US$180 in total.
* on the other hand, I find cash only a little strange, particularly at these prices.
* More annoying were the flies - lather yourself in fly spray! We had "fly bracelets" on, which didn't work on us, nor on our food. The staff kept walking round with a "smoking bucket", to keep them at bay; presumably without the buckets we'd have been inhaling flies - with the bucket they were just reduced.

All in all, EXCELLENT food, but it comes at a (cash) price and with flies!

1  Thank Tim S