“Delicious and fresh food”
Review of Hartwood

Hartwood
Ranked #37 of 437 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local sea-to-table ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Pesos only.
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The candlelit atmosphere combined with excellent service and fresh produce made this an enjoyable night out. I had a fish dish with two cocktails, service charge included in the bill totalled $55usd - well worth it.

I got there at 20 mins to 6, and joined a small queue, be careful, some latecomers try to push in front of you once the hostess opens the gates :).

I ate at the bar as I was travelling solo, which was a lot of fun and a great way to meet other solo travellers.

Probably the best food I had in Mexico, Casa Jaguar also well worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,491)

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

It's surprising that this restaurant doesn't have a higher rating. No it's not a real Mexican experience, you don't come here for tacos or guacamole, but when you feel like trying something more upscale, it's a must. We are foodies, we go to NYC mainly to eat twice a year. Montreal where we're from has great chefs. Hartwood was overall a great dinning experience.
First, it was pouring rain so the number of tables available (covered by a rooftop) were cut in half. We had to wait under an improvised corner of a bar. The wait was going to be a little while so we had cocktails in the meantime which were delicious. We waited maybe 30-45 minutes
When we got a table, the menu was well explained in English.
Since we wanted to try the Mexican wine but weren't too sure about it, the waiter had us taste the three reds by the glass! We were happy to be surprised and picked one.
The salad was tasty and my octopus grilled to perfection, so were my boyfriend's BBQ style ribs. It'd by far the best octopus I've had in my life. I couldn't believe it!

I find it a little funny reading the "terrible" comments about this restaurant. To some of them I just want to respond: You will be dining in the jungle, be smart and put on some repellent yourself! I was NOT eaten alive. And the owner is from New York so the ambiance feels like it. It shows that it is someone with a lot of taste and experience in dining that thought of the setting and candlelights. And Don't forget that you're in tulum!!!! if you want to keep the Beauty of the surroundings, then restaurants have to use solar power or generators, they don't have fridges so everything is fresh from the day.

We had a great service, a great meal, we will remember our night at hardwood for a long time!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This place should have a much higher rating that number 34 in Tulum. It is the most incredible atmosphere with the most incredible food. Coming from New York, my dinig expectations were high and Hartwood did not dissapoint. I would have eaten here every night if my boyfriend would have let me. You will undoubtedly be surrounded by some of the coolest/nicest visitors and locals in Tulum. The food is off the charts and for the price it is a lot more food than you would expect. The staff was cool and laid back but mindful and attentive. I have reccomended it to everyone I know that is going to Tulum and will continue to.

2  Thank Erin D
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Ok ,so you have to wait a bit for a table you can't book.but you get to have a really cool cocktail made by Robert in the best vibe spot in town.then the food is so worth waiting for and if that's not enough Comic hero Valentine is on hand to make sure you are looked after and provide you with any extras you might want! You won't be disappointed but wait until you are chilled before going here!

Reviewed December 7, 2013

This is the kind of restaurant that loves itself more than it loves you, but still manages to deliver good food and that crazy boho atmosphere that is Tulum.