“Better than expected”

Hartwood
Ranked #41 of 386 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Central American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local farm-to-chef ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Cash only.
Montana
“Better than expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I must say that I was skeptical going in when we went here for dinner. I am not a fan of overpriced pretentious food but this place was simply outstanding. The wait for a table can be quite long and there is a reason for it...it is damn good. We put our name on the list and were told it would be a 45 min wait so we wandered accross the street and enjoyed some beverages seaside at Le Zebra. Our timing was perfect and when we returned our table was ready promptly. The service was very good. The place reeked of the wood fired grill and citronella and it was good for keeping the bugs away, you are dining in the jungle after all. The food was really really good. Don't miss the ribs. They say the menu changes daily but I don't believe it to be true. Don't worry though as these dishes are all good I am sure. Simple put...this place is good...go there!

• Hungarian first
syndey
“Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

My friend and i ate here after a recommendation from a friend and it lived up to their review. It opens at 6 and doesn't take reservations so i'd get there before 6.30 unless you're ok with waiting in the bar. it's done out really nicely and love the open kitchen. I had a delicious steak there and the margarita's were delicious but lethal.

Stockholm, Sweden
“Overpriced and average!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

This place is not living up to the hype! Overpriced and not very friendly. You're sitting on benches which is not so nice after a while and the menu is so complicated that they have to have a waiter explaining it to you...
No, there are much better places than this in Tulum!

Visited November 2013
Amsterdam
“Best place for dinner in Tulum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had a great night at Hartwood in Tulum, Mexico. The food was great, ambiance really nice with the open kitchen. Hartwood doesn't take reservations, just show up, have a drink, relax and wait for a table. Waiting can be long, but for us it was worth it.

Tulum
“Wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I loved everything about Hartwood, except the mosquitoes.

The friendly staff loaned me some insect repellent for that, and after a few house cocktails I wouldn't have noticed if they had kept feasting.

But before I got to that point I had some of the most amazing food. Salads I never thought could exist in this part of Mexico were presented, perfectly dressed. Whole fresh fish sizzled in front of me. And the ribs, oh my god, the ribs.

Don't miss it.