“A little bit overrated”

Hartwood
Ranked #36 of 413 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local sea-to-table ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Pesos only.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This restaurant was supposed to be the best in town, but as you see on Tripadvisor is not well rated and I agree with this.

Do not be misleaded by the local people because me and my girlfriend were, I can mention at least 5 restaurants better than this one. It took awhile before we could get a table so keep that in mind before you decide to go.

On the other hand, the food was really good but the portions were less than what we were being served in all the other restaurants. We were sharing a table with another couple and they were served two dishes before they brought ours first and we ordered at the same.

Broadly it was an ok experience, the concept is awsome as you can see how your food is being cooked, at the wood stoves and oven.

1  Thank Rodrigo A

998 - 1,002 of 1,407 reviews

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My food (Octopus platter and baracuda) was really good and really fresh. The mood was nice, the people were nice (made intense eye contact) but the bill was a bit on the high side. Coming from somewhere (Philadelphia) where I can get really good, fresh food at a decent price the bill was a bit higher than I expected.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Dear Travelers: across a beautiful place call Coqui Coqui in Tulum Mexico, there is a beautiful place call Hardwood, Ambiance, Food, Drinks, Service, Perfect you will love the experience, by the way it is a place where you can be having dinner next to a top Model..

Reviewed July 18, 2013

If you like grilled octopus, this place is for you. And if you like grilled grouper and cactus salad, Hartwood is for you. The atmosphere here was casual and cool all at once. And the food was very, very delicious. We'll be coming back.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My friend had a 3-pound lobster, another had octopus and I had fillet of sole. The spinach was spectacular! All of us thoroughly enjoyed our food and the experience. We had great wine (and cocktails) and the servers make you feel very welcome. It's pricey, but worth it.