“If you are afraid...”

Hartwood
Ranked #43 of 389 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Central American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local farm-to-chef ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Cash only.
Brooklyn, New York
“If you are afraid...”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

If you visit MX but want to stay within the comfort-American-zone, this is the right place. It is a nice bar with a nice ambiance, ok food and very expensive dishes/drinks (even for NY standards). So if your intention is to have a drink, prepare yourself to pay no less than $10 plus tip for a margarita or a simple glass of wine. cheapest dishes are arpund $18. some get close to $32
On the safe side, Hardwood doesn't have anything to do with MX or Mexican cuisine, therefore it will save you from fears of being attacked either by intruding bacteria or by unsavory Spanish speaking characters.
One thing you should know is that it is not on the beach so the mosquitoes are furious here. Try to get in after 9pm when the smoke and smell of citronella torches would have taken care of most bugs.
The great thing is that it is a copy of some hip bars of NYC. Still, it doesn't have the cool of Franklin ave/Wburg bars and restaurants in Bklyn but it will pass as a decent place in which gringos mingle without noticing they are in MX.

• Visited May 2013

• Hungarian first
Seattle, Washington
“Great food, nice ambiance”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We had a pretty good experience with Hartwood. First off we had not read any of the reviews on TA about it. We saw it listed in the booklet our hotel provided as one of the restaurants they recommended so we thought, on a whim, that we'd give it a try one night. Boy did we get lucky!
We just "happened" to get there early - probably just after they opened. The place was full except for one empty table which we were seated at.
Then the crowds came. OMG....sooooooo many people waiting to be seated and the service here is fairly relaxed, which is understandable. It's a nice place and you want to take your time and not feel rushed. But for those waiting it was probably fairly painful.

Food was excellent. My husband and I shared the Indian Tomato Salad which was delightful. Wish we had ordered one each, it was smaller than the waiter led on. I had the sea bass which I think was a catch of the day or something so it may not be a regular on the menu. My husband had the Pulpo (octopuss) and LOVED it. He is still talking about it! Haha! Unfortunately I am not an octopuss or calamari fan so I didn't even try it but he said it was the best he ever had and that it wasn't squishy or rubbery. I guess they bake it in an oven all day and the finish it off on a grill.

For drinks we chose a bottle of sparkling wine. It was "meh". I wish we had chosen cocktails instead. They looked fun and inventive. Oh well. Next time.

The only downside (aside from the wait time for most people) was that at dusk, the mosquitoes come out. This restaurant is 100% outdoors but because it's located on the Jungle side of the street there is very little breeze, if any. The kind folks at Hartwood do bring out a metal bucket filled with coals, a touch of water and probably some cintronella and they walk around the tables every 10 minutes or so, smoking the place out. It's not very pleasant but the alternative of getting eaten alive by mosquitoes (I happen to be their favorite flavor!) is much much worse. So we welocmed the smoke bucket. I wore a long dress and slathered on the insect repellant and I escaped unscathed - so lucky me.
Also another cool thing was all the bats! They came out in force as the sun went down to eat the mosquitoes and they were literally dive bombing the tables (well not quite that close but almost!) and it was really neat to see! I didn't mind them at all, in fact, just like the smoke bucket if it helped keep mosquitoes away I was all for it! Go Bats!!!!

Service was a tad slow. We were well finished with our meal and had to wait some time before they brought us our check. Then we had to wait some more for the guy to come back and get it and then again some more for them to bring the CC back. To me, with alllllll those people patiently waiting to be seated (well over an hour by this time) you'd think the staff would be a little more "on it" to get the diners who were truly finished, checked out and their table cleared for the next guest. If I had been waiting I would have been chomping at the bit and probably a little bit annoyed to see people ready to go but still just sitting there waiting for their check.

Getting a cab to and from this place was no problem. In fact cabs were super easy to get all over Tulum.

cambridge
“Expensive but worth every penny (closed Monday/Tuesday)”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Before I say anything else...... GET THERE EARLY

It frustrates me when people leave negative reviews about getting seated here. There are many, many reviews stating this, if you are prepared to leave negative feedback at least have the courtesy to read the previous reviews before you go and complain!

The food here was excellent! I have eaten in a number of top restaurants over the years and this holds its own with any of them.

Location is amazing and the ambiance is cool, trendy and laid back. If staying on the beach the walk along the road can be a bit scary, so may be a cheap taxi would be worth it (not sure how safe walking on the beach at night is although saw nothing to suggest any danger)! And being in the trees does mean mozies as others have said so make sure you apply repellant before going.

The price is Similar to what you would pay in the UK.

We tried to go just before we left only to find it was closed Monday/Tuesday!! Needless to say we were very disappointed but makes for a good excuse to return to Tulum.

Carmel, IN
“Truly Special”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The new Hartwood restaurant lived up to the "buzz" around the region. Be there when the gates open at 6 for the initial seating, or you could be waiting a very long time for a table. Nestled in the edge of the jungle, this dining experience is special and the food is fabulous.

Spokane, Washington
“Wonderful and Delicious...but get there early”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We dined at Hartwood this evening.
The food was delicious and fresh. I had the fish fillet. A generous portion of fresh fish fillet served over a bed of sauce that was delicious. Their menu varies from day to day depending what is fresh and in season so there's no fixed menu. That means you are only eating what the chef selects that day.
They are open for dinner only and there's always a line to get in so if you don't want to wait, come later in the evening around 9 pm and you may be lucky to get a table.