“Come early and Dont forget to bring lots of cash”
Review of Hartwood

Hartwood
Ranked #42 of 389 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Central American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local farm-to-chef ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Cash only.
US
“Come early and Dont forget to bring lots of cash”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I feel I have to give different ratings for different parts of the experience here. We came from Playa to see the ruins and we stayed specifically to eat here given all the great reviews. We went on the first day they opened after a three week closing and showed up at 5:55. People are not kidding when they say show up early. by 6:05 the 40 seat place was full and by 6:15 people were already waiting for the second seating and by 7 they were already turning people away , and this was on a Wednesday. So you cant just waltz in there at 6:30 thinking you will wait get seated (unless you are lucky) they only have two tables for large groups so I do not recommend for large groups unless you show up at opening time. So the drinks were so so, I tried a rum with passion fruit and I couldnt taste the rum or the passion fruit. Their house margarita with grapefruit was also kinda tasteless although I do give them some points for using fresh juices. The wine selection was short and so so. the mexican chardonnay we had was mediocre ( We had some good mexican wines at our hotel and other restaurants) So we were a bit disappointed with this especially given the quality of the food. We started with the fish empanadas and the calamari which was delicious and the pulpo and ribs which were fantastic even for us who dont like sweet ribs. The texture and flavor of the ribs are amazing. the service was easy going and very casual but still they managed to be somewhat efficient.

The ambiance I would say was not the ideal since it is across the beach, the beach of Tulum is gorgeous and a spot on the beach would be ideal. The restaurant is in a small lot, no views other than the trees and bushes surrounding it and beware if you dont like mosquitoes because it wasnt mosquito season and they had citronella candles all over the place and I wore a long dress and had to wear repellent and still got bitten. Tulum has a lot of moquitoes.The weather was also nice but I imagine it can get really hot in the warmer months with the open kitchen right there. I came out smelling like a mixture of ribs and citronella oil.

So in essence if you are staying in Tulum this place is worth a try. To travel from farther might not be, for us it was because we put a premium on the actual food which was the best we had during our trip but the rest of the issues.... And the prices might be high for some , (prices in Tulum are high) the food was worth it but the rest... Don't forget to take cash , we were lucky they took US dollars for two people , 2 apps ,entrees, two cocktails, a bottle of not expensive wine, the bill was @ $200) The taxi ride back to Playa was $75.

2 Thank Petiza R

• Hungarian first
Somerville, MA
“Still talking about our meals...7 months later!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Tulum. We just happpened upon Hartwood one night and decided to give it a try. We went back several times after!

To this day, the hanger steak I had at Hartwood was the BEST STEAK I'VE EVER HAVE. I seriously compare all steak to that. My husband had the pulpo one night and, yes, he still talks about the awesomeness of that, too. The jicama salad stands out too. Everything we had there was awesome- the atmosphere is perfect (who can beat eating outside in the jungle??) and the saff were super fun.

We've joked about moving to Tulum (we loved it) and trying to get jobs at Hartwood because we dug it so much!!

• Visited August 2012
Naples, Florida
“Leaves no one disappointed!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Tulum has so much to offer and greatest beach in the world. To fine a NYC transplanted chef cooking in an outdoor setting with fresh local fare is a treat!

New York City, New York
“the secrets out!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

since the secrets out, I'll tell you to go! Food is amazing, drinks are amazing and its a very sweet, romantic, fun, soulful place. It is crowded so try to make a reservation or go at an off hour if you don't like to wait. The staff is accommodating and sincere...so it won't be painful waiting at the bar.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“A MUST try when visiting Tulum!!!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I recently had a getaway weekend in Tulum and were finally able to try the gem in the jungle; Hartwood. To say it was fabulous would be an understatement! We got seated right in front of the open kitchen so we could watch the hustle and bustle of the line, and see Chef Eric’s team work like a well-oiled machine. The wait staff immediately took our drink order and delivered two perfectly mixed cocktails out of thin air. We then decided on the Mero (snapper) dip which was mixed perfectly with capers and a hint of dill and served with fire grilled pita topped with a drizzle of chipotle oil. Then it was on to a roasted prawn salad served on a bed of arugula, cucumber, and sunflower sprouts. A spicy vinaigrette made this an outstanding choice. For our main plates we ordered the ribs, which were a monster size portion and fall off the bone perfect, and an 18 oz rib eye served over grilled peppers and topped with chipotle butter. We both agreed that the atmosphere (the entire dining area was lit up by gas lamps and candles), the staff and service, the quality of food and drinks, and the fact that we got to dine and nosh for nearly 3 hours without a hint of being rushed, made this dining experience one of the best we have ever had, Thank you to Eric and his crew! We recommend anyone, visiting or local, to go straight to Hartwood; do not pass go, do not collect 200.

• Visited March 2013