“Wow!”

Hartwood
Ranked #42 of 389 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Central American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local farm-to-chef ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Cash only.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had been trying to go here for a while and finally managed it last month.
I had steak which was amazing and they had a really good choice of interesting side dishes - some of which were new to me. They allow you to try these if you wish.
The open kitchen is set at the back and you can see everything being cooked which is good.
The completely outdoor (like most places in Tulum) restaurant has a buzzy and romantic vibe but still welcomed our 3 year old son.
They have a good choice of wines and some fab cocktails as well as really yummy ice cream.
If you love steak, don't miss this one...

Visited December 2012

• Hungarian first
New York City, New York
“Best food I have ever had on vacation, ever.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

So. Insanely. Good. Go there. now. do not waste any time. Get any octopus dishes, and the agave ribs. I am crying now because I miss it so much. The octopus I had was cooked for 4 hours, yet was the most tender, delicately charred bit of deliciousness that I could possibly want. Please take me back to hardwood!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Lisa C
Brooklyn, New York
“good but too pricey”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I went on a recommendation and was shocked at how crowded it was when I arrived. There was a long wait - none of the other restaurants I'd gone to already had a wait at 7pm for dinner - even tho it was high season. The hostess was very helpful in getting me a seat at the bar since I was solo so I stayed. The staff were mostly very courteous. Living in NYC I'm used to long waits and pricey food but wasn't expecting or desiring that atmosphere on my relaxing holiday so it was a bit of a turnoff. The food was delicious - had a lentils salad and a whole fish - but with one cocktail the meal came to nearly $60 USD which for Tulum, is really too pricey. Sorry but Tulum isn't NYC - don't charge like it is.

Visited December 2012
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Best Meal in Recent Memory”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Forget the crowd and focus on the food. And the preparation in the open floor wood fired kitchen. Phenomenal!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Foxfire11
Los Angeles
“Comforting Thanksgiving meal”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Spent our Thanksgiving night here and they served a family-style American Thanksgiving menu, complete with turkey, pork and lamb, and several sides. My fave was the mashed roasted sweet potatoes since they use wood-fired ovens/stoves for everything.

Visited November 2012