“oops”
Review of My Tulum Cabanas

My Tulum Cabanas
Ranked #78 of 130 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed August 20, 2013

we probably meant to book some other cabanas in tulum... these were our most expensive nights in Mexico yet the most uncomfortable. the cabin itself was mouldy, smelt of damp and didn't seem to ventilate with all the windows open - the tiny fan without a front plate didn't do much to stir the moist air in such a large space. mosquito net didn't fit the bed, but was needed. 'beachfront' meant walking down a narrow alley between the hotels either side to a small area of beach with 5 dilapidated loungers. the whole beach hotel area is packed with expensive eco resorts with pricey menus and there's nowhere to even buy a bottle of water. if you want to eat somewhere with a normal price, and buy water and other necessities then you have to pay around 100 pesos for a taxi 7km into town. we had paid for three nights in advance so stuck it out, but spent as little time there as possible and hopefully won't get sick from the excessive damp! best avoided!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
EcocabanasMYTULUM, Propietario at My Tulum Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW.

Sorry for all the inconvenience during your stay, we always recomended for our visitior, check the destiny, the restaurant, the price, and the facilicities, if you book direct with us Im sure we dont promise beach front, because we dont have cabanas beach front, but we are in the beach site, but we guaranty the best price ON THE BEACH, for fresh water in your shower, electricity on the day and on the night, internet free in recepcion, your own bathroom, and our love for help you if you want to know the best way to visit around Tulum, or if you need help for sometime else, our friendly actitud, and maybe you dont looking for that, Im so sorry for that if we make you feel mad. Thanks very much for your stay with us. Sorry again.

There are newer reviews for My Tulum Cabanas

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Really dislike giving a bad review but we were miserable here and left after the first night (we'd booked and paid for 3 nights) - first problem was the toilet, it backed up and clogged after EVERY flush. There were mosquito's EVERYWHERE. No breeze through our cabana we only had one floor fan in between the two double beds, so you'd feel warm air every 5 seconds. Lastly, I brought a small, travel size hair dryer and that did not work there - if I turned it on, all the power would go out. After, no sleep and full of bites (after putting on layer and layer of bug spray) we had to check out early.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
EcocabanasMYTULUM, Propietario at My Tulum Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks very much for take your time and writte about us, Im sorry for your bad experience, not all the place is for everyone, around the beach is manglar so is mosquitos everywhere, for the toilet, in the rules we specific about not throw paper in, because maybe is obstruct for a few minutes, and this can be happend in the expensive place to, for the fan if you come tu as and ask, and if we have extra, for sure we gave to you, for your hair dryer on the beach is just few place accept that, we generate our own electricity but not for thats things, if you ask me before you make your reservation and was honest with you and say the true about it.
Again sorry for this, Im recomened to you ask all the details importand for you before the reservation.
Peace, love.....YELI

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and i stayed in the my tulum for a week and we loved it! Its calm, its clean, the staff is very friendly and its at the beautiful beach of tulum!

Everything you need for beautiful relaxing holydays at the lovely beach of tulum

• Stayed: June 2013
EcocabanasMYTULUM, Propietario at My Tulum Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I just want to say thanks so much for your review, we love the simple people ready for enjoy the natural things, made with love.

All the best with love, peace in your life.

Yeli

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Spent two great nights at My Tulum Cabanas. The staff and owner are super nice, great breakfast with coffee for 7 dollars which is a steal by the beach in Tulum. The beach is amazing, very quiet. Not like the all inclusive at all. A definite must.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were originally booked at Eco Cabanas My Tulum to stay for 5 days in early May. My wife and I had attended a friends wedding at a huge all inclusive monster hotel in Cancun. We were looking forward to recovering from our "holiday" at the very chilled Eco Cabanas. Much to our dismay we were told that we were double booked. Yeli, the owner, told us that she was very sorry for the mix up and had scouted out alternate accommodations at the neighboring Parayso Hotel. She went as far as viewing the room to make sure it was acceptable and booking us into the more expensive hotel at her own cost. She also told us we were free to visit anytime we wanted (which was a big plus as we were missing our dogs and cats after staying a week in Cancun).

Yeli was very helpful with organizing rental car for us, telling us the good local restaurants to eat at and letting us maul her dogs.

Make sure you talk to an awesome couple who are staying/living at the Cabanas, Ariel & Emmanuel. They are some the nicest, most genuine people I have ever met. Ariel is a great guy who is well known in Tulum for his kind, open, honest nature. He also is very connected with natural healing, power stones and different energy auras. Emmanuel is a very outgoing personality who has travelled around the world to find a place of balance and beauty like Tulum. They made our stay in Tulum a time we will both remember forever.

We had breakfast at the Cabanas every morning, it was a great meal at a great price, we only had 1 night in the room before moving next door to Parayso but the room was clean, the bed was a king and very comfortable and we had a great sleep.

I would come back to Eco Cabanas My Tulum in a heartbeat. The location is on one of the most amazing beaches in the world, Yeli is so nice, Ariel & Emmanuel are angels that we will never forget.

Room Tip: I would get a 2nd story room to get a little ocean breeze. The lower rooms didn't seem to get a...
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It should be noted that the name is now "Eco Cabanas My Tulum." The location 7.5 km down the road from Tulum proper was excellent minus the evening crowds for Hartwood across the street that take up the available parking.
The beach is beautiful but hot and there is no shade to be had on the property so bring strong sunscreen. There is a constant breeze coming off the ocean, but be forewarned - the breeze does not reach the cabana rooms themselves so generally you will depend on your in-room fan for any air movement. Mosquitos are a constant presence in the area so don't be tempted to leave your door open for extra fresh air - you'll be devoured during the night.
Breakfast is readily offered every morning, and the hours are reasonable unlike American hotels. There are also options for meals within walking distance of the cabanas - notably Il Barino for breakfast just a short jaunt up the road. Try the huevos rancheros.

The Cabanas do offer dinner but at no point did I see the chef. In any case there are excellent restaurants all down the length of the beach road.

The power goes out intermittently for varying periods of time so do not have anything plugged in that demands constant power supply, and charge devices when you can. Over a five night stay we probably had ours go out six or seven times just while we were in the room. Also to be noted is the effect of lack of power on the hot water situation. We took cool showers, but they felt great after coming in off the beach drenched in saltwater and sand.

The rooms are cleaned daily. You receive one bath towel and one beach towel - no washcloth, etc so bring your own if you prefer. Soap and shampoo are provided. Toilet paper goes in the wastebasket, not the toilet, it may take getting used to at first.

Shoes are not necessary on the property as the ground is almost all sand :)

2  Thank groundzero55
Reviewed May 16, 2013

IT WAS our first visit to Mexico, and what a great trip it was.

We spent two weeks on the beach at fabulous Tulum, on the Caribbean side, at “eco cabana” My Tulum.
Convivial new mum Yeli showed us to our thatched cabin, we dumped down the bags and the fortnight of serious splodging began.
The first time we saw the vast expanse of golden beach, baking in the 40C heat, it took our breath away.
Our first glimpse of the powerful breakers, crashing to the shore, excited our senses.

The daily agenda was simple.
Yeli or one of her friendly helpers would serve up a breakfast of our choice (fruit and coffee with omelette, scrambled egg or sandwiches).
We then heaped on the sunblock, grabbed the water, towels and novels, strolled bare-foot through the narrow sand alley to the beach and a day of sun-baking and reading on Yeli’s sun loungers.
The only view was the brilliant blue, relentless surging of the sea.
A yoga school next door provided a stream of super-fit American yoga girls to say “Hi” to, and that was it. All day. Bliss.
There was the occasional swim in the Caribbean to cool off a bit, though when the wind excited the soothing waters the crashing waves seem hell bent on bowling you over like a rag doll in a washing machine.
Fight through them and you can wallow in the swell beyond the breakers, looking up at the cloudless sky.
Beach dogs came up and gave a “hello sniff” before plonking down next to us on the sand.
Occasionally the mango seller, honey seller, or complete family of necklace sellers would gently offer their wares. That was about it.

We were lazy, yes, but we did break off this Robinson Crusoe adventure to soak up a spot of Mayan culture.
The ancient people were here at the dawn of our time, and the settlement at Tulum is perched on cliffs with a commanding ocean view.
It was well worth a visit but, unsurprisingly, was a popular tourist spot and plenty of visitors clicked their cameras at the ancient stone structures and the many giant, basking iguana lizards.
One of the highlights of our trip, for me, was a bus trip to another Mayan site at Coba.
This in-land settlement has a pyramid which can be climbed and when you reach the top you have a 360-degree view of nothing but jungle in all directions, as far as the horizon. Outstanding.

We combined that trip with a visit to a cenote, a large, water-filled subterranean cavern complete with a high dive platform.
I queued with several, excited Mexican teenagers at the five metre board and hurled myself off the edge and down, down, down into the dark depths.
When I sploshed into the water I almost ripped my right arm off; memo to self – you are aged 50, so learn how to jump properly or suffer the consequences.

In a separate trip we also swam at a surface cenote lake which was quite magical.
A wooden pathway had been constructed through swamp to get to the cool, black water, which we had entirely to ourselves.

That was, pretty much, the extent of our travels away from the beach.

Tulum is a great place to stay, a lot more relaxed than party town Cancun.
In Tulum, yoga and relaxation is cool, couples get married and sandal-clad tourists enjoy fine food and wine at a brace of candle-lit, open air reasonably-priced restaurants.

Yes, you will be burned if you can’t be bothered to smear the sun lotion into (in my case) your hairy legs.
Yes, sometimes the lights go out when the electricity can’t be bothered to keep going.
Yes, the jungle means bugs and you will get bitten.
But think of that fantastic beach, and that warm welcome you will receive from the people who live there.
It was said the Mayans thought the world would end by now.
I am very happy to report their Mexico is still alive and kicking, and it opened up a whole new world to me which I will for ever cherish.

2  Thank jeniben