“Lovely find with excellent service”
Review of El Asadero

El Asadero
Ranked #12 of 434 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We found this place on trip advisor and loved it. In tulum town, with a lovely atmosphere and very gracious and thoughtful service-- we found the food to be excellent. The manager went out of his way to ensure that my vegetarian husband was catered for, and even thoughtfully was able to provide smaller dish sizes for me as I have an appetite bigger than my belly! The salsas were the best we had in our 2 week stay and the side dishes excellent. During our stay in tulum we heard a lot of complaints about the quality of the meat in tulum. This may be a fair point-- but these complaints were mainly from American tourists looking to recreate the quality of the beef they are used to at home. However I found the beef on the grill to be excellent ( I ate it rare) and my personal opinion is that the star attraction of Mexican cuisine is the quality of the salsas and moles rather than an emphasis on the meat itself-- and el asadero was excellent in this respect. They do serve alcohol there's although its not licensed to do so-- they therefore serve it in coffee mugs etc. Cost per value was much better than some of the places we went to.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,096)

Reviewed January 26, 2013

What a find! We were recommended this place by our host and as we were walking off the main road we felt like we were getting into a local area, streetlights were more spaced out and there were no tourists or people trying to sell things.  Once we arrived the restaurant was buzzing! We were seated at the last empty table out on the street.  Throughout our meal there was a steady stream of customers both locals and tourists coming to eat in and take away.

Totopos and 4 sauces were brought to the table after ordering.  These were some of the best we had in our whole trip to Mexico.  We shared the mixed grill, guacamole and jacket potato with chorizo.  This was plenty between two even after a day diving.  The flavours coming through all the food was amazing,  well worth venturing away from the main road.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Found this place on my last trip down in Dec and took my wife on this trip to celebrate her birthday. She had grilled lobster and I had the arrachera special. You can watch them being cooked on the grill but it is mich more fun to sit back and enjoy the laidback atmosphere. Singles, couples and families all present. Free chips and salsa to begin the special coffee(vino tinto in a cup) and grilled potato and onion were special.
This is must go place for us in tulum.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

These are great eats for a great price. We happened upon it one night when we wanted to go to Ginger and it was closed. We had the most reasonably priced supper ever and it was delicious. The taco plates are fantastic. Simple good food. Bring your own wine if you want (they don't serve alcohol) and enjoy watching life go by on the street while filling yourself with great tacos and salsas.

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We got there just after 7pm and had to wait 15 minutes for a table as it is so popular. Worth the wait though, amazingly flavored steaks and nice tacos. The free tortilla chips and four different condiments are a fantastic bonus! Excellent restaurant.