“Another Great Day”

Conciencia Tours & Travel
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This was my second tour with Viajes Conciencia with Adrian as guide. As last year, he custom designed the day for me. Our day began at the small Mayan ruins at Xel-Ha. Not visited by tour buses, Xel-Ha boasts several buildings dating to the 600’s AD which are accessible and explorable. Two or three have protected areas where I saw paintings done by the Maya People 1400 years ago—hands, geometric patterns, and designs. The grounds are shady and lush with tropical plants and animals all of which Adrian can name. Majestic Iguanas protect their domains with a bob of the head, and I saw a felled tree that rebirthed itself by growing new roots! Near the cenote, a field of limestone displays varied fossil patterns, themselves worth the visit.
After a delicious lunch in a small restaurant in a modern Mayan community, we drove a long, bumpy road—inaccessible to tour buses—to an underground cenote. As Adrian explained, cenotes are connected by tunnels or long caves that eventually empty their water into the Caribbean. Into the Heart of the Earth we descended and enjoyed more than an hour walking, or floating, in warm water with only our flashlights to illuminate the way. We wound through large and small spaces in awe of the stalactites and stalagmites, stopping to admire the configurations and the tiny tips where new deposits were forming. For me, this was an opportunity to experience yet another aspect of our Mother Earth, inside her very heart.
Adrian is knowledgeable, wise, insightful, organized, accommodating, and very personable. He is fluent in English, Spanish, and French. I’m looking forward to my next trip with him and Viajes Conciencia next year. I highly recommend Viajes Conciencia.

All reviews
"amazing cenote"
in 4 reviews
"booked this tour"

Reviewed February 5, 2014

My boyfriend & I booked a tour that included snorkeling with sea turtles, exploring a cenote, & exploring the Mayan ruins of Tulum. Our tour was just the two of us, Adrian & our driver. It was wonderful because we could go at our own pace & ask Adrian lots of questions. He was very knowledgeable about the history of the region & Mayan culture & belief systems. The beach where we swam with turtles was beautiful; not crowded at all and we saw turtles as soon as we got into the water. From there it was onto a cenote. Adrian chose this one because it is quite large & the people that live in the area around it limit tour group access. Once down there we did not see any other people inside, other than the three of us. It was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. I wasn't sure if it would be physically demanding or intimidating but it required only a small amount of swimming and at no point did it feel claustrophobic. It will be a very difficult experience to top! I would strongly recommend anyone spending time in the Yucatan peninsula explore a cenote; it was the best part of the entire trip. Afterwards we enjoyed a delicious grilled lunch at an inn overlooking the beaches of Tulum, (also incredibly beautiful), then we ended our day exploring the ruins of Tulum. These were the only ruins I came across that overlooked the water & there are some really spectacular views, (great for pictures!) Adrian was very informative when it came to the ruins, the carvings that remained, etc. Overall a wonderful excursion and I highly recommend!!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I had a great trip with our leader Adrian who was very knowledgeable about Mayan belief systems, history, and natural ecology. I especially loved our time at the organic farm where we had our lunch including camote (sweet potato) that we had harvested for the dessert. As well as time exploring the temples and ruins at Coba.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

My girlfriend and I had an amazing day with Adrian. The tour was just the two of us, Adrian and his driver. We chose the extended tour which included swimming with the sea turtles, swimming in the cenote and visiting the ruins at Tulum. Adrian was very knowledgable and enthusiastic about the local ecosystems and the Mayan people and offered up alot of interesting information throughout the tour. The sea turtles were very cool but the highlight for us was the cenote. Although there are many cenotes in the area, the one Adrian has access to is considered "the best" and access to it is seemingly limited by the owners (when our car pulled in he was surprised there was one small tour group ahead of us). The cave was amazing and beautiful and required you to crawl, swim, walk through very interesting environments. The cenote is a very interesting, peaceful environment where you wouldn't want to go with a large group. After the cenote we had a tastey lunch at small, cute inn on the ocean in Tulum (included in the price). From there we went on to the ruins of Tulum which Adrian lead us through and explained a great deal of the history of the area. Great tour, highly recommended. All in all the trip took about 8 hours.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We recently went to Playa del Carmen for a week long vacation and booked our tour of Tulum and cenotes with Viages Conciencia Tours and Travel. Our tour guide, Adrian, was extremely insightful of the geography and history of the area and surrounding areas. He has spent much of his life in the area and it shows. With such a small group, we were really able to ask questions and learn as much as possible. The cenote we went to was amazing! We had never seen anything like that before. We also swam within feet of numerous turtles in the ocean. We ate an authentic Mexican lunch and then finally had a very informative tour of Tulum. We really recommend Adrian and Viajes Conciencia for all their tours.

1  Thank 657Brian_C