“Photos wrecked the whole day!!”
Review of Dolphinaris Tulum

Dolphinaris Tulum
Ranked #21 of 87 things to do in Tulum
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphinaris Tulum at Bahia Principe Resort combines the best features of our dolphins, with beautiful tropical surroundings.The facilities feature the innovative concept of traditional platforms that provide shallow, beach-style access to conduct interaction programs safely for any visitor.For the convenience of swimmers and observers, we have located various service areas within our facilities. These service areas include: check-in and customer service, induction hut, a new room where classes for the Trainer for a Day program are conducted and our photo & video store.
Barrie, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Photos wrecked the whole day!!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We just got back from the Gran Bahia and swimming with the dolphins was something our daughter wanted to try. She had a fine time but when we went to look a the pictures that were taken we were shocked a the price. And then when I came back I checked the reviews for this place and I see that people have been complaining about this for over a year and everytime they do someone from the attraction writes that there are many packages available and that they are looking into the complaints. After a year you would think things would change but they haven't at all so why bother saying you are looking into it. It was a total ripoff and I am so mad that I don't have any photos of my daughter doing the attraction. I realize we don't HAVE to buy the photos but who wouldn't want to have some of this experience? It's not like we can afford to do this every year. I just find it hard to understand why the attraction goes through the bother of taking so many pictures and then makes it pretty much impossible for normal not rich people to afford to buy them. Even if it the price was $40 for the cd of pictures I would have paid. But the prices they ask are horrible.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank liz123010
DOLPHINARIS, Community Team at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear visitor,

We appreciate your feedback about your visit. Dolphinaris is happy to hear you and your family had a wonderful time with the dolphins.

In regards to the photos, our pictures are based on the current marketing prices.

Thank you for choosing Dolphinaris.

• Polish first
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is one of those things that you seem to need to do on holiday. It is a tourist trap 100% of the way but you go in there knowing that. You are there for one thing and it is pretty awesome. I do wish they set the prices for there photos a lot lower ($29usd for one) they would sell a stack more of them. If you go make sure you listen to the dolphins underwater, awesome. Good times

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Scott M
DOLPHINARIS, Community Team at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear visitor,

We appreciate your feedback about your visit at our facilities and we are delighted to hear you had a wonderful time with these beautiful mammals.

In regards to the photos, we are working on improving our photo package in order to give our guests more selection to choose from. They make a great souvenir to take home.

Dolphinaris invites you to visit us in the future at one of our other locations.

Thank you for choosing Dolphinaris.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific experience!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was a fabulous time for me and my family! The trainers are very gentle with the dophins, and really do strive to keep both your safety and the safety of the animals in mind. I am not a swimmer, but was able to participate in all activities, except for a few at the beginning. That was fine with me. The water is cold at first, but you warm up quickly. I also have to say that the trainers did a great job at managing what I call overly entitled parents who were just making ridiculous demands that were unsafe for the child and the dolphin. For instance, they demanded that a girl who did not meet hieght requirements be allowed to do the belly swim on her own, without an adult. When the trainer instructed the parent to accompany the daughter, the parents threw a fit! I felt bad for the trainer, and it made our sesssion a bit stressful. It was like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

I wish we could have gotten more info about the dolphins themselves, and more education about the facilty. that's why I didn't give it a 5.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank genie b
Dear visitor,

We are delighted to hear you and your family had a wonderful time during your visit here at our facilities. Our goal is for our guests to leave with unforgettable memories and big smiles on their faces. Our trainers strive to give you the best time swimming with the dolphins.

Dolphinaris apologizes if others in your group made the session stressful. We want all of our guests to have the upmost experience that is why we invite all of our visitors to visit our live chat on our website for all the requirements, activities and promotions for all your future visits.

Thank you for your preference in Dolphinaris.
north east
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The trainers have so much dedication to these animals”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I did the trainer for the day and to say I'm a bit sceptical of seeing animals in captivity but once I seen how cared for these animals are I started to really enjoy my day I was on my own so had really good one to one my trainer was Luis I hope that's correct spelling he was amazing he showed me food prep room which all fish are hand picked the place is cleaner and more hygienic than most food kitchens.. He told me that try are all on call 24hrs Aday and that they receive a medical check daily and any dolphin that is not 100% is taken out the programms until its better.. I was able to do the show and had my own dolphin amazing experience in each group I was treated like a proper trainer demostrating to others about what I had learnt that day I also went scuba diving and Luis was fantastic he made sure i was safe and felt comfortable unbelievabley awesome .. I received 2 free photos that were nice and a certificate to say that I had done the trainer program we also haggled the price and we got an amazing deal ... At the end of the day people can complain but I see it as is it fair to those who have a rabbit in a small hutch thats in a room or garden or a hamster in a plastic cage that only has a wheel in it or going to see a tiger that is out in all weathers in a fenced area or parrots that are kept in small cages in homes the lists go on so before people complain learn a little more about how spoilt and cared for these animals are x

Visited November 2013
1 Thank laura1988rpr
DOLPHINARIS, Community Team at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear visitor,

We appreciate your comments. Our visitors experience during their visit is very important to us! The Dolphinaris Team is delighted to hear you had an amazing day with the dolphins and Luis! The Trainer for a Day Program is our most complete program, it’s the perfect program for true dolphin lovers. Our professional trainers and veterinary staff have a beautiful relationship with the dolphins, they love them like they are their children. As well as making sure they are healthy by doing daily medical checks!

We invited to you to visit one of our other locations next time!

Thank you for your visit and you are always welcome.
Plymouth, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not Worth The Amount Of Time Spent”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Sure - getting a chance to swim with dolphins for 30 minutes is cool, but we ended-up spending about 5 hours for the privilege.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Kit M
WebMasterIT, Public Relations Manager at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear visitor,

We apologize for the inconvenience during your visit. All of our programs have scheduled times and activities daily. We suggest you to make your reservation for your swim in advance to avoid long waiting time. Dolphinaris invites you to visit via chat to book in advance and receive discounts.