“Unbelievable experience!”
Review of Dolphinaris Tulum

Dolphinaris Tulum
Ranked #23 of 89 things to do in Tulum
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphinaris Tulum at Bahia Principe Resort combines the best features of our dolphins, with beautiful tropical surroundings.The facilities feature the innovative concept of traditional platforms that provide shallow, beach-style access to conduct interaction programs safely for any visitor.For the convenience of swimmers and observers, we have located various service areas within our facilities. These service areas include: check-in and customer service, induction hut, a new room where classes for the Trainer for a Day program are conducted and our photo & video store.
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was the one thing my husband absolutely wanted to do on our honeymoon. It was one of the greatest things we did! How often will you ride on the stomach of a dolphin at 30+ miles per hour? The dolphins are well training and the trainers are very good. They are funny and give clear directions to guests to give the dolphins commands. This was a highlight of our trip!

4  Thank Lauren P
WebMasterIT, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear visitor, it’s nice to know that you chose Dolphinaris to have one of the most beautiful memories celebrating your honeymoon. Doing rides with the dolphins is spectacular! We have beautiful dolphins due to the great love and care given by our trainers.

Dolphinaris really care that your visit is something marvelous.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Me and my gf chose the trainer for a day package because it doesn't cost that much more and you get to do more stuff with the dolphins. Eventhough the dolphins live in a pool that is big enough by international standards, its still kinda small, they should just spend that extra bit of money and expand. The dolphins are treated well, get plenty of attention, good food etc, nothing wrong with that there, its just the size of the pool, its no Ocean..

The trainer for a day option was fun. You get some information, spent a lot of time in the water with the dolphins. What they do a lot, is get you in the water in a line and have you extend your arms, the dolphin swims past and you get to pet it. Even though the water is cold, its a lot of fun, up till the 10th time, after that it just gets bored and annoying and you get the feeling they are stalling. The footpush and belly ride are awesome (especially the footpush) but they don't do that often. They should look into that because all the people that were in my group got annoyed at the constant petting.

The part which I think is ridiculous, is the price of the pictures.
Let me start off saying you get two free pictures when you're a trainer for a day (2 free pics included in the package) You don't get to pick these your self and you end up with two pretty lame ones, one posed and one group, and not digitally (in 2013..)
Second off, the constant posing gets annoying, pictures with animals are best when you just take them when the people are mesmerized by the beatiful creatures them selves, not when they have to focus and smile right into the camera.
Clearly the people taking the pictures didn't get any training so most pictures are rubbish, which is also a bother.
The biggest point is critique is the price, its just so over the top people should never ever get the pictures.. we found a few nice pictures but when we saw the price we were starteled. 69 dollars for 3 digital pictures, all the pictures (about 100 i think) for 350 dollars, which is a lot more than the cost of swimming with the dolphins. I tried to talk to the manager (Christiaan I believe) but he said he can't do anything about the price. Of course this is nonesense. Now from what I saw they didn't sell any pictures in my batch, if they make the pictures cheaper, they would sell a lot, even if its still 10 dollars a picture. So do everyone a favor, if you become trainer for a day, don't buy the extra pictures and lets hope they finally understand not everyone has a ton of money and wants to spent it on a few extra pictures.

my 2 cents.

2  Thank Bart N

Dear visitor, the trainer for a day program is awesome since people can have a great time with the dolphins. In regards to the pools, the sizes of the dolphinarium are completely approved by Mexican NOM-135-SEMARNAT- 2004 (ECOL 135 7.4), which also matches with de American and European ones, and the dolphinariums have good dimensions for dolphins’ life.

Our dolphins receive the best attention and love by our professional trainers who really care for them, also our dolphins have the best food, and all these attention makes them feel happy and live even more years than in the ocean. Dolphinaris is a place that keeps dolphins in the best way.

Trainer for a Day has different activities and we see that our visitors love the foot push very much! We have to say that each one of the activities is unique and beautiful. Many visitors have told us how amazing is to be so close to a dolphin and share time with them.

The photos are available for purchase for the visitors who would like to get them but this is not obligatory. People can see the different options the photo and video department offers if you would like to get a package.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was the highlight of a recent 7 day stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal. My son was a trainer for a day, I sat in the outside and observed. For the price, it's well worth paying the extra money for them to be a trainer for a day. He had a full day in the pool with the trainers and dolphins, had 5 foot pushes, 3 belly-belly and 2 dorsal rides. They learned all about dolphins in the am, learned the commands, in the pm they got the dolphins to do tricks and demonstrated the different dolphin rides to the other participants. The pictures are quite expensive but if you hold out, they will negotiate, and actually reduce quite a bit. The package I bought for my son was initially over $350, I left the Dolphinarium with 118 pictures, a 14 minute video and it cost me $139.

1  Thank Mike B
WebMasterIT, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear visitor, each one of the activities in the Trainer for a Day makes people feel alive: dolphins are great and our visitors have an entire day with the dolphins and great learning about them. Learning commands is something unique for our visitors; you are able to have communication with the dolphins in an amazing way. Everybody likes doing this program.

Pictures packages have different prices and it’s optional to purchase them. The photo and video department offers different options for our visitors.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great value compared to other dolphin tours, especially cruise excursions. Very interactive and trainers are very informative.

WebMasterIT, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear visitor, we do our best to give the most beautiful experience with excellent programs full of activities and amazing dolphins. Dolphinaris have very professional trainers who care about every detail in the programs and give their life to the dolphins.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I felt like a kid... Though likely with reason. I was the only adult in my group without a kid. Thankfully, I had seen another woman on her own in the previous group without a kid, too. Regardless, I had a blast.

First off, I was extremely impressed with our instructor/trainer... He spoke 4 different languages while I was there. We did have one family that was Russian in our group, and his Russian was limited, but he was still able to communicate with them relatively well, particularly as it related to positioning yourself and handling the dolphins.

In the "swim and ride" package, you had several opportunities to get acquainted with the dolphins, by first touching their frontal and dorsal sides as they swam by. We learned a few commands to have them "wave" or "clap". Then, we had an opportunity to either have a dorsal pull or a foot push. I opted for the latter. They are powerful mammals! I felt like I was flying.

We then had an opportunity to go in the water and gets kiss from the dolphin, and return the favour. Really cool having such a powerful creature right in your face. Literally!

While I initially thought the price point was a little steep, I was really glad I did it and thought it was worth the money.

1  Thank BuzzGnat
WebMasterIT, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Dolphinaris Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear visitor, our programs and the experience of swimming with the dolphins are for kids and adults, we have designed very attractive activities for you so that you can interact and swim with the dolphins. The rides you can do with the dolphins area amazing.

We have very professional and knowledgeable staff to give you the best assistance. Dolphinaris make your dreams come true.

Thank you for visiting Dolphinaris and you are always very welcome