“Whale Shark Excursion”
Review of Riviera Adventours

Riviera Adventours
More attraction details
Owner description: Rejuvenate your body, clear your mind and lift your spirit when you reconnect with your senses while you join us as we explore the waters and jungle of the Riviera Maya. In which ever expedition you choose, you will have the opportunity to de-stress, reconnect with your senses and get into your element - it will be an experience of a lifetime that you will never forget! With over (31) years experience exploring the Yucatan Peninsula, our expeditions will give you the opportunity to get to know the wonderful Riviera Maya on a personal basis. We are a local small family business. We offer you private and or small group Expeditions. Our tours are a more rewarding and personal experience, including Small and/or Personal tours which include Swimming with the Turtles; swimming in a beautiful Natural Aquarium amongst a large variety of Tropical fish; a trip into the mysterious Mineral filled depths of one of the World's Largest Underground River and Cave Systems, Snorkeling in the Mesoamerican Coral Reef; visiting the ancient mystical and awe inspiring Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza and Ek Balam Mayan ruins; or snorkel amongst the Whale Sharks for a surreal, once in a lifetime experience; immerse yourself within the peaceful and tranquil serenity of the Sian Ka'an Biosphere or visit the Flamingos at Rio Lagartos. All of our Expeditions include a minimum of four locations each (Most others are two locations for the same price), Fruit, Coffee and a Pastry in the morning, Snacks, Cold Beer, Water, Juice, Soft Drinks throughout the day, Lunch and Round-trip Air-conditioned Transportation and top notch dive quality snorkel equipment. Most of our tours include a (4) course meal at the World Famous “Oscar & Lalo Restaurant, Bar & Grill”. We can also provide you with a private or custom expedition for any of our tours and activities. We look forward to sharing this beautiful paradise with you and having an other Amazing day! Relax and let us be your guide!
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband has always wanted to swim with the whale sharks and we finally got our chance at our recent trip to Villa Arghy (www.villaarghy.com) in Tulum. We booked the trip through Riviera Adventours at the recommendation of the booking agent for the house and our previous experience at Oscar y Lalo's restaurant, where the tours run out of.

We were not disappointed! This was an experience from start to finish. The night before our departure the company experienced some problems with the vans and we were unable to depart as planned. However, despite the delay, there was EXCELLENT communication about the problem, with Virginia, the owner, even offering to take us in her personal vehicle if we were unable to change our plans!

The morning of our adventure we were picked up at the rental house in a clean, comfortable vehicle and offered coffee and pastries. Virginia is an excellent host both on the road and at her restaurant Oscar y Lalo's.

Our guide was Fransisco and he was excellent. He looked after us as special guests—advising when to take Dramamine to reduce sea sickness, scoping out the best place to sit on the boat for an easier ride and helping to keep track of our stuff, which is harder than it sounds!

After about an hour boat ride out into the ocean, it was time to jump in with the whale sharks! Francisco came with a very nice underwater digital camera and took some spectacular pictures—well worth the $30 to purchase them. We were able to swim right up next to the whale sharks and also saw some enormous manta rays.

On the way back from our swim we stopped and snorkeled at a reef and then threw our anchor in a bay off the coast of Isla Mujeres and had ceviche for lunch on the beach!

We ended the trip at Oscar and Lalo’s for happy hour where we got to play with Virginia’s spider monkey, Lala.

It was an incredible, memorable day thanks to the thoughtful planning of Virginia and Francisco.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

After traveling to Cancun for several years, I finally wanted to make sure I saw some ruins! My husband has been to Cancun several times and seen Chichen Itza already and I didn't want to make him do something he already did, so I thought Tulum might be nice for both of us. Well... our first year in Cancun we were doing site visits for our wedding, the next year we were getting married, and the following year we were not getting married (so we took advantage of not planning that year!) lol! So this year I did a lot of research and after reading reviews, I decided to work with this company! I am so glad I did. My husband really wanted to try Xplor, but I have heard it is really manufactured, so when I saw that we could not only see Tulum, but also have an eco adventure, AND a four course lunch at a restaurant!!, I decided this was the place to book! Normally, this company works with people staying in Tulum and the Riviera Maya, but they had no problem working out the details to pick us up at our Cancun/Hotel zone location. Of course it was extra, but way cheaper than trying to get a cab, and we didn't want to drive! Francisco met us at our hotel on time the day after our original plan (there was storms in the forecast on our original day, and Virginia really cares about your safety, so she helped us to reschedule for the following day). He was a great guide! We opted for the Turtle Snorkel, so we started our day swimming with these fantastic creatures at Akumal beach. Then we had breakfast (warning, when they tell you that you can have coffee or orange juice, they mean it... only one or the other, water is extra... not the tour company's fault, it's the restaurant at the beach they work with. Our guide was even baffled at the lack of hospitality. However, we were fed, so we can't complain! We had pastries and fruit! Yum!). After our snorkel, we went to a lagoon/cenote to snorkel some more! I'm so mad my underwater camera didn't charge and died during the turtle snorkel because the fish at this cenote were so beautiful and I never saw them at any of the scuba dives we've done previously!! I just may have to book this tour again next year! After this part of our tour we were fed again with a very generous snack box on the van ride to our next leg of the tour (nuts, oreos, water, cervezas, soda, crackers...) Then we went to an eco-adventure park where we zip-lined, river canoed, cliff jumped, and visited a Mayan village! Afterwards, we were take to the famous Oscar and Lalos Restaurant for a wonderful 4 course meal! This was a much better experience than breakfast, and the tour company (Virginia and Oscar) own this restaurant. My husband and I have allergies and intolerances and they accommodated us in every way possible! Following lunch we got to visit Lala, the monkey! This was my only CON about the trip. BE CAREFUL!! She is very cute, but remember she is a wild animal. She bit me and stuck her foot in my mouth as she climbed on my head (remember she walks around where she does her business, so that was in my mouth, so I excused myself and washed out my mouth with soap and bottled water which was provided). She did not bite hard, but I could imagine a small child being very scared. And there were kids on our tour. So please be mindful! I opted to stay out of her monkey house after the incident. After lunch, we headed to Tulum! So gorgeous! I personally think this was perfect, as I can not see how you would want to spend a whole day here. We were actually given an hour to go through (our guide could not come with so you need to guide yourself. I think some tour companies let you purchase a guide for $50 dollars or so, but I really don't think you need to) but my husband and I and the rest of our group decided to do a speed tour, take a couple pics (where my other camera died!!!) and were done in half an hour! Maybe it was because we had a full day behind us already, but I really don't think there is much to Tulum except the breathtaking views of the Carribean and the Mayan structures.. which doesn't take too long to take in! We finished the rest of our beverages (in a cooler) on our ride home and took a nap for the rest of the drive. It was a long day, but if you stay in the Tulum area, you will save an hour on each end of the trip (our trip was from about 5:15am-6pm, from pickup to drop off). And it truly was an awesome experience. Virginia and Oscar are very informative and friendly in their emails and our guide was extremely helpful and friendly. Thank you Francisco!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

What an amazing experience in Mexico! After much research on tours in Riveria Maya I settled on this one and boy did we hit the jackpot! I could type for hours how good the tour was but the other reviewers have covered all the details. I rarely write reviews but felt this one was necessary, if you are looking for a fun, memorable tour to add to any Riveria Maya vacation this is the one. It is very active and you will be exhausted but you will talk about the memories for years to come. Bring regular and waterproof cameras, prepare to get up early(our pick up time was 5:45 am) and enjoy this small group tour. Thanks Francisco for being an awesome tour guide!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our family took the above tours on 7/3/13. Overall it was a terrific experience. Our guide was Francisco, who was friendly, knowledgeable and just all around helpful. The weather was questionable the day of our tour, and we got a call in our hotel room the night before from Riviera Adventours moving up our departure time from 7:30 AM to 6:30 AM. They felt that leaving earlier would give us smoother waters for both ocean parts of the tours (sea turtles & coral reef). It was a great call on their part, because as we were finishing up there, the beach had been closed to new arrivals. We would have been turned away if Francisco had not had the foresight to change the time of our trip. We were treated to a continental breakfast which was very tasty before heading to the next location.

We went to a lagoon where the fresh water mixes with the salt water as the fresh water pours into the ocean and got to see some great fish there as well. Then we headed to the cenote and explored the bat cave there. Be aware, it’s a good 5-10 minutes from when you get out of the van here until you actually get in the water (a short walk, followed by the group getting geared up, etc.). At this time of year, this area has LOTS of mosquitoes, and since you are going into a cenote, you can only bring biodegradable insect repellant, which is questionable at best. We were feasted on pretty handily, but that was about the only downer.

We broke for lunch at Oscar & Lalo’s then were taken to the Tulum ruins which was amazing. All the equipment was provided for us, including wet suits if you wanted at the cenote site.

Nitpicking now, but a few things we thought could have been better:

Making the reservation – It was very convoluted. It involved 2 or 3 emails, they want a lot of information but worst of all you can’t just pay easily by credit card in advance. You have to pay a deposit thru paypal, then pay the balance at Oscar & Lalo’s after your lunch. In fact, after all the emails at the point where we needed to make the deposit, I actually took a couple of days to look up similar tours to see if there was a highly rated one that was easier to book. With no luck, I went ahead and made the deposit a few days later. It all worked out, but the process could be much more seamless.

Tulum – Francisco does not enter Tulum with you, you are on your own. While there are signs around the area that give some description of the ruins, I think we would have got a lot more out of it had we had a guide to give us more back story.

We would highly recommend Riviera Adventours. We had a great time, they take small groups (ours had 8) which is a big plus. We saw other groups at the lagoon from different tour companies with 20+ folks, that did not look fun! The fish and turtles we saw were fantastic and we would certainly do this tour again the next time we are in the area.

1  Thank Frank T
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I arrived back in Houston, TX from Tulum less than 48 hours ago and already miss Virginia, Rachel, and sweet little Lala.

My time with them as guides, friends, and family (as they made us feel) will always be remembered.

Oscar and Lalo's is a beautiful restaurant that is true to the area and incorporates a wonderful jungle feel, amazing food, and home like atmosphere. We were at O&L three times in our one week stay; drawn by the genuine, love-filled personality of owner, Virginia; her niece Rachel, and the sweetness of Lala - the monkey.

Virginia and Rachel took our group on a day trip to swim with the enormous WHALE SHARKS, which was surreal and breathtaking; there were hundreds of them. The tour also took us snorkeling amongst hundreds of species of fish on a coral reef and swimming on the beach of an island. Another day when we didn't have much time, they took us on a quick tour of the Dos Ojos underground cave system; which was probably the most amazing thing I have ever experienced - practically swimming in drinking water, 50 feet underground in caves with natural skylights, bats, and crystals.

Virginia has stories to share about her eventful childhood in Tulum and the experiences of her courageous and adventurous father, working to preserve the area. Doing a tour with Virginia will touch your soul. Trust me.

Thank you for everything Virginia, Rachel, and Lala.

-Jared Lee