“Great diving with top guide, shop owner not so good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of MOTMOT DIVING

MOTMOT DIVING
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer personalized cavern, cave and reef tours for beginners, advanced, technical and full cave divers. We also provide fun snorkeling tours to cenotes and reefs to see turtles and lots of other marine life. For those wanting to learn more we offer a full range of courses from PADI, IANTD and NACD. Our qualified multilingual staff will recommend a large selection of diving and snorkelling equipment available for sale and rental. We hope to see you soon enjoying the day with us…!!!
UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great diving with top guide, shop owner not so good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

A tale of two halves. We booked two days of cenote diving with MotMot months in advance and given our tight schedule had planned three dives on the first day and two on the second because we had to leave early. On arriving at the dive shop on the first day we were told we were doing two dives on the first day and three on second day and the owner did not seem flexible given their own admin error because he had a number of other divers lined up for this itinerary. He rather rudely told us to change because everything was setup etc; however we were having none of it and couldn't switch the schedules around. The rest of the staff at MotMot were very helpful and made the necessary arrangements so that we were able to dive the itinerary that we'd booked well in advance. That didn't stop the unnecessary scornful looks from the owner towards us every time we saw him over the next two days. However, the admin [--]-up turned out in our favour as we ended up having our own dive guide for our five cenote dives; Ahmed is a freelancing cenote dive guide that does a lot of work for MotMot. He's a world renowned cave diver and spends a lot of his own time exploring the Yucatan's cave system, diving with four tanks for several hours at a time. He single-handedly turned around a bad start at MotMot into an enjoyable experience; if you haven't dived in a cenote before it's not to be missed; the water clarity is mindblowing and the haloclines and cloud-like sulphur layers are interesting experiences. I'm more of a reef diver but I'm pleased I've experienced cenote diving and if you're in this part of the world it's not to be missed.

motmotdiving, Propietario at MOTMOT DIVING, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hi:

My name is Roman Alvarez Kadjar and I am the owner of the shop. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you... Certainly we had some very busy days as you know, but that is no excuse. That precise day we had a very big diving group and we thought it would have been interesting for you two too join since these guys are our regular customers and very experienced cenote divers, but I guess we were wrong and once the specifics of the problem with your booking and your tight schedule was brought to my attention and we understood the situation, we found the right solution and you went diving as originally planned. I am happy to know that you had a good time with Ahmed during your dives, he is certainly a very good Cave Diver and Cenote guide. Regards.

• Hebrew first
Montreal, Canada
“Just great !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We booked 4 dives including a refresher with MOTMOT. Just great, the best refresher ever and 3 amazing cavern dives. If you dive and have not yet tried cavern diving, it is a must. Thanks Sandy for a great trip !

Visited January 2013
St. Petersburg, Russia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Rented only a snorkel kit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Quite expensive rental equipment - 10 dollars for glasses. It is also quite used. Strange policy when buying in dollars. Foreign owners. Average place.

london
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Very professional dive outfit...with attached bakery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Cenote diving with good kit and calm competent dive instructors. Took two novice divers in us and made us feel competent. Experience itself was great - eerie yet tranquil, beautiful natural light formations. If you're a nervous diver, suspect you'd be hard pushed to improve on this place for confidence and a good experience. Good pastries and hot chocolate in the attached bakery.

San Francisco, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Cenote Diving with the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I went diving with Mot Mot and we loved the experience from top to bottom.

We arrived at the shop after a tip from Hidden Worlds Cenotes. We had arrived there looking for scuba diving, but the dives they offered were more for the family oriented groups. The person at the front desk said go to Mot Mot. I am glad they sent us.

Roman, the owner, was very nice and helpful about the dive. He explained to us which cenotes we would be going to and some of the basics of cenote dives. This calmed my girlfriend's nerves which in turn calmed mine. I didn't like the fact my dive buddy was nervous and after Roman's explanation she was ready to go diving.

We arrived the next morning and had a pastry at the attached Mot Mot bakery. It was delicious and the staff there was as nice as the dive shop.

Rodrigo was our guide for our dives. He drove us to the Gran Cenote and again gave us the run down on our dive and the things we should know for this particular dive. He was thorough and super cool about the whole thing. After the dive we drove to Cenote Calavera and had a snack before we went on our second dive.

You walk out to the middle of the jungle where there is a group of holes in the ground in the shape of a skull. In order to begin the dive you need to jump about fifteen in to the water. I loved it. My girlfriend was reluctant, but after jumping in was excited about it. This dive included our first halocline. I LOVED IT.

A year later when we stopped by. Roman and Rodrigo remembered us and again were super cool. We were hoping to set up a dive in Cozumel. The shop does not offer tours there as they just do cenote tours. That being said, they helped us out anyway and set up a 3 tank dive with Scuba Planet on Cozumel. Another great experience for another review.

Roman has a great shop with great people around him and excellent equipment. If you want to see the cenotes right, you will use this shop.

Visited November 2012