“Phenomenal seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Altamar Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

Altamar Restaurant and Lounge
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Boston
“Phenomenal seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was our second best meal in Mexico, next to Cetli. Altamar is a restaurant/lounge with a high-end, classy interior and seafood to die for. The restaurant started us off with a nice appetizer plate with jicama, a green and red salsa, tortilla chips, and nopales (cactus). My fiance is a vegetarian who will only occasionally eat fish when necessary, and she really liked her Caribbean fish fillet, which was tender and melted in your mouth. I had battered shrimp tacos with a chipotle tamarind sauce, which were absolutely fantastic.

We weren't going to order dessert since there were only three rather-boring looking dessert options on the blackboard - a chocolate cake, flan, and gelato. But given how great the food had been, we decided to order the flan. It was, by far, the best flan I've ever had, with a thick creamy texture reminiscent of cheesecake.

Tulum has a lot of bad, overpriced, touristy eateries. Skip all of these other restaurants and head straight to Altamar - you won't regret it.

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“altamar.....I don't understand ?!?!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were very excited to try Altamar after all the great reviews-trip advisor never lets us down!
The staff although friendly were very unorganized-3 times they tried to give us someone elses food-took forever to get our glass of wine and they forgot our appetizer.
My hubby enjoyed her octopus while myself and our guest had fish. I grew up on fish and this was not what i consider fresh fish and it was also horribly fatty. The dessert somewhat salvaged the evening -very good. Our guest is young "21" and has not been to nice restuarants - I was quite embarrassed this was my choice to introduce him to a fine dining experience. For the money we spent there are much better choices in Tulum.

Colorado
“Highly Regarded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Viewed by many who dine in Tulum as best restaurant in town, but not on the night we were there. Service was slow. Food was just OK. Restaurant was very hot from the kitchen heat. Reservations are essential to get in. Maybe it was an off night for them. Other reviewers like the place. Just not me.

“Absolutely wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Great food, great service, good prices. We had appetizers and main corses - a total of four dishes. they were all superb! A must if you are in Tulum. Don't miss it!

New York City, New York
“Last and best meal in Tulum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Everything about our experience at Altamar was excellent. First my husband had gone there during the day to check it out and make a reservation. He was told they didn't take reservations but was told everything about what was on the menu that day with care. When we arrived at the restaurant it was crowded and we thought we would have to wait, but the man he was talking to earlier came running up to him and said "Six? I saved you a table" He took us back to a room on the side where a beautiful table was set. We ordered drinks and they were all excellent, they brought us some house specialty starters that were excellent and different than anything else we had had in Tulum. Some of us ordered fish, my husband ordered steak and everything was perfect. We were all stuffed but decided to order one desert to share because everything else had been so good. Our wonderful waiter told us that the three milk cake was not to be missed, I have to admit it didn't sound that appetizing to me, but when we got it everyone loved it.

• Visited December 2012