WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Altamar Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

Altamar Restaurant and Lounge
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Toronto
“Number One For a Reason”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

On my third night here in Tulum as part of a two month travel. Came here because it was recommended by the couple I did a dive with today, and because of its status as number one in the reviews. I would have to agree it deserves a high rating. Great overall atmosphere and my food order, the Caesar salad and shrimp tacos were both delicious. I spilled my beer while talking on Skype to my sister, and they replaced it without charge, even though it was my fault. Service is quick, friendly and they even had a good smile over a few of my quirks.

Highly recommend it.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Mitch S

Los Angeles, California
“Best meal in Tulum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We just returned from 4 fabulous days in Tulum. This was our first time there, so I did a quick Tripadvisor search for good restaurants.
If you have never been to Tulum, here is a quick overview. Most of the cabanas and hotels are on a stretch of road parallel to the beach. There are some restaurants in that stretch, but most can be touristy. A lot of people might not venture out of the area, because it is very deep in. If you do, you can take a left onto 307, and go into Tulum town center. It's about a 70 pesos cab ride.
I read about Altamar on Tripadvisor so we decided to give it a try. When we were dropped off by the cab, nobody was in the restaurant. So we walked around a bit thinking Tripadvisor led us astray. After a bit of look around, we decided to go with our first instinct and give it a shot. Boy, I am so glad we did. The place is very romantic and open. It doesn't face the main street, but it's right off of it. They didn't have someone trying to lure tourists in at the door, which is probably why nobody was in there. Our waiter was very friendly and explained everything they served. My favorite part was the authentic platter of little dishes they brought out for every table. The salsas were sooo good! Their guacamole was probably the best I have ever had. I had the grilled fish and my boyfriend had a steak dish. Everything was amazing, even the wine. We almost signed up for their cooking class, if we had an extra day in Tulum. Something we plan on doing next time we visit.
Overall, this place is a gem. It might not be the most flashy and loud, but it is definitely authentic and delicious. While we were there, lots of locals came in and the place filled up quickly. Go there and you will not regret it!

• Visited November 2012
Miami
“Outstanding Food..great meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was a great little restaurant that we happened upon .. actually asking directions. The host gave us many suggestions for all kinds of different places for different types of food. We walked around and came back to it and I am very glad we did! We had a fantastic meal .. the Filet was amazing!! We also had shrimp tacos that were quite tasty as well. Overall, excellent meal!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Mark J
Canberra
“Cooking lessons here with Eric an awesome thing to do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We just finished cooking lessons with Eric at Altamar restaurant Tulum - this was such a fantastic experience. The food was delicious, a great learning experience that was also very fun and entertaining - highly recommended!

2 Thank Bex-Wako
London
“Delicious Mexican food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

The food here was lovely. We had fried shrimp tacos to start which we shared. Then we both had beef fajitas as our main course. All of the food was outstanding. It was a breath of fresh air compared to the very average restaurants surrounding it.

Our only complaint was the exchange rate that was used in the restaurant. We were given a terrible exchange rate which left a sour taste in our mouths after a fantastic meal. My advice would be that you take pesos rather than USD if you intend to eat here. The food definitely makes this place worth a visit!

• 3 of 5 bubbles