“Thank god for the pool!”
Review of Chalupa Hostal

and 1 more site!
Chalupa Hostal
Ranked #46 of 87 Tulum B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Thank god for the pool!”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We had three really great days in Tulum and at Chalupa. The staff are really friendly, there is a good kitchen which you can use although sometimes in the evening there is a chef cooking and you don't really want to get in the way but I am sure she wouldn't mind! The pool is small but it was such a relief after the heat of Tulum! The roof terrace was lovely too. Our room was huge and really clean. The only problem was that room 1 and 2 are next to the communal areas so it can get a bit noisy but it wouldnt stop me going back there!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I was recently on hostelbookers and noticed that Chalupa only had a rating of 77.1%, which is pretty low on that website. I was astounded, as throughout my 8 months of travelling in Latin America, Chalupa was one of the best hostels I stayed at.

Positives

Dorms - beds are doubles, which means you can share if you're in a couple for less (not quite half) money, or you can just enjoy a big bed all to yourself! The rooms are spacious, cleaned thoroughly every day, and have decent lockers.

Bathrooms - my room had an ensuite, and the bathroom is really big. Again, these are cleaned regularly, when the rooms are cleaned.

Pool - it's only small, but it's nice to relax in. Most hostels don't have a pool, so this was a nice little bonus. Naturally, you get a few leaves/bugs in there, but it was never unpleasantly dirty.

Roof terrace - it is really big with nice loungers, so if you feel like giving the hike to the beach a miss, you can still sit in the sun (though when I was in Tulum, the heat was unbearable, without the sea breeze it was hard to stay out in the sun for more than about half an hour).

Location - very close to a big supermarket, and next door to a 7-11. Hampered slightly by the cooking rules (see below). Very close to the main road, so it easy to pick up 'collectivos' going up and down the coast to other destinations. See more notes on location near the bottom.

Staff - always happy to help and friendly.

Breakfast - lots provided, it was pretty decent. There's always the 7-11 next door if you need anything too.

Gym - I was happy to find one a few minutes walk away. It was quite expensive for Mexico, but Tulum is quite touristy so didn't expect much else, was good to find it.

Negative:

Kitchen - even though the kitchen is well equipped and spacious, they have a 'vegetarain' only policy, so you if you want meat or fish you have to buy it already cooked. When you're travelling, and already paying above average (see below) for the hostel, it's annoying that if you want to eat meat, you have spend even more money eating out at restaurants. It was one of those things that because I wasn't allowed it, I craved it more than usual!

Other rules - I was happy to be in a fairly quiet place rather than party-central, but you're not allowed alcohol in the hostel. I met a couple of other nice people, and on a couple of nights we said that we would have liked to have one or two drinks on the roof terrace because it would be a really nice setting. Again, if the rules had been "no alcohol after 10pm" or something, that would have been ok, but a blanket ban seemed unnecessary.

Could be seen as positive or negative:

Price - not the place for a budget traveller, but at the same time, amazing value for the quality of the place. Plus I think you get a discount if you stay more than 3 nights.

Location - Tulum is difficult to judge, because unless you stay in the beach huts (expensive with no elec), everywhere is quite a way from the beach. Chalupa is placed on the road to the beach, which means the beach isn't as far (15 mins on bike), but is also a short walk from town (10 mins on foot).

Bike hire - it's nice that they have bikes for you to use, but I thought I was paying a deposit of 50 pesos per day to hire them - turned out it wasn't a deposit, it was a fee! It was my misunderstanding, but I still think 50 pesos for 24hr bike hire when you pretty much have to use one is a bit steep!

Overall: Tulum was great, Chalupa was a perfect place for me to enjoy my stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I love the Hostal Chalupa!! I will definitely go back when visiting Tulum....it's even a reason to go to Tulum, knowing such a fantastic place to stay. Andrea and Vinnie, the owners, are amazing....they have a great dog to keep you company. They rent bicycles, they have a chef and prepare two meals/day, the kitchen is open for you to cook, as well. The location is super convenient - not in the mix of the strip in Tulum but just off it so it's quiet but there's a grocery across the street and with a short 5 minute walk, you're in the thick of the "downtown" of Tulum. This is a gem!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MeaganReelitz
san francisco
Reviewed July 16, 2011

For a change, I wasn't traveling around on buses so with the luxury of a rental car, I checked out a few various accommodations around the Tulum area that I had read about on Trip Advisor. I was surprised by how much places were charging for so little. I hadn't read about Chalupa but it seemed conveniently located right on the edge of town and at the intersection toward Coba and the ruins.

Turned out the place was very clean, the price was right and the staff were great. I made good friends and was saddened to leave to meet up with a friend in Playa. I would have preferred to stay put.

I've been to a lot of hostels around the world. If you prefer something a bit smaller, laid back and not tremendously rowdy every night of the week, I highly recommend Chalupa.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank flash_mo
London
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This hostel was one of the best that we have stayed in during our 5 months travelling. We stayed in a clean, private en-suite room which had the most comfortable beds that we've slept in since being away. Also, the towels were the best that we have seen. The pool isn't huge but is clean and refreshing. In summary I would say that Hostal Chalupa is a quality establishment and although not the cheapest it is definitely worth spending the extra peso or 2 to stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LadyPParker
Tulum, Mexico
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I traveled here ALONE to Tulum as I have in the past and chose to stay at Chalupa Hostal as advised by friends in NYC. NYC'ers tend to be picky and have high expectations so this place must be good I was thinking...well it was better than I could have ever hoped for. I stayed for 3 weeks!

The Staff: so welcoming and full of smiles all the time-I can now say I have new friends in Tulum. Andrea who is one of the owners and managers was so sweet and helpful to me and included me into some of her nights out with friends and showed me new things I had not been aware of in Tulum. Javier that works as well is very helpful and resourceful with his knowledge of Spanish and English-he was my communicator in many events. The staff is always able to answer any questions throughout the day and make sure you are comfortable in your stay at the Hostal.

The Hostal: GREAT!! The clean the rooms and hostal everyday so you come back to a fresh environment everyday upon your return from wherever your adventure takes you. They run the A/C only from 8pm-8am (to save on electricity going out-which I find amazing to be environmentally friendly), there is recycling there and the kitchen is vegetarian-may be good for some (me) others if you want to eat meat just go to one of the MANY restaurants near by. The fact that the hostel allows you to cook is a great option I feel. They keep a water station so you can refill your bottles everyday and not spend the money buying new plastic water bottles everyday! Kudos! All the beds are double beds so you have a comfy night sleep. There are private rooms and dormitories. I stayed in both. All are quite once you are in them you feel as though you are in your own space of solitude. The pool is great and fresh not to big (but big enough) so they are not using so much water overtime and taking away from the worlds supply. You can rent bicycles there-the cheapest in town 50 pesos and plus they give you a lock-most of the bikes are cruisers with baskets so you can take your things to the beach easily, a few are used but work just fine! Free wifi and use of the kitchens amenities make for a cheap and easy stay!

All in all I will stay here going forward when traveling to Tulum and recommend to any friends going there for a cheap and friendly environment ! Thanks so much for making my trip the best ever CHALUPA'S FOR LIFE!!! xoxox

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank jennygossmann
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in May 2011 after not being able to locate our other hostel that we booked. Staff member that checked us in was polite enough and seemed pretty happy to have us around. We didnt have a booking so she showed us all the rooms available so we could choose. Options were a private room right by the reception and pool, and dorm rooms further down away from reception and also upstairs. We elected for a dorm room upstairs where it would be quieter. We were told that we could either pay for two beds or pay $250peso to share a bed (all dorm and private beds are double).

Beds were comfortable, A/C in rooms (only at night or when the staff allow you), bathrooms were huge (probably too big) and hot and cold water 24hrs.

Pool was nice although in an unusual location right by the reception. Kitchen facilities were good with it being a semi-restaurant type kitchen. Breakfast of cereal and coffee was provided although I dont remember this being advertised anywhere.

Location was quite far from the main town area but right next door to a 7/11 and across the road from a big supermarket. 6km cycle takes about 20min to the beach.

We found the staff unwelcoming and standoffish. They didnt say hello when passed in the hostel or anything like that. We often encountered one girl who just sat in the hammock beside the reception all day, which is fine, but when she doesnt even bother to say hello or even look up it feels a bit weird.

We were informed at check-in that NO MEAT was to be cooked in the kitchen at all. Im not a vego so that seemed a bit off to me but so be it.

We asked to use bikes which the guy grudging let us use providing locks which was good. He never said anything about cost or deposits or anything, neither were their any signs to inform you. When we checked out he said that "you owe me 50 pesos for the bikes" we said oh ok just take it from the deposit for the key (50 peso) he said "I already have but you owe me another 50 for the other bike. Seemed a bit steep considering none of the bikes had properly pumped up tyres and were all starting to rust apart.

All in all, facilities good, communication poor.

Room Tip: Budget travellers can save money by sharing beds