“Great seafood, great atmosphere!”
Review of El Camello

El Camello
Ranked #25 of 421 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We asked our hotelier for the best seafood in town - he directed us to this place. This is where local folks go when they want great seafood at great prices.

We had a very good time... stayed longer than we usually do because there was so much local "life" going on. The place was busy and somewhat crowded, but that just meant it was easy to meet some other travelers and swap stories.

This was one of our best experiences in the Yucatan this trip. Highly recommend you give it a try!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

A local taxi took us to the ruins and afterwards we asked him to recommend a good place to eat and he brought us here. As son as we saw the locals queueing up to get in we knew we had the right place. It is seafood - just seafood. I ordered a mixed plate and because I was feeling peckish ordered the medium. When it came I didn't know whether to eat it or climb it! There was so much I invited the driver to come and join us and even he didn't make much of a dent. Everything we ordered was really good. Don't miss this one!

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Good fish and seafood, Ceviche was massive and good. The shrimp tacos were not the best choice though. Great atmosphere!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were recommended here by our hotel secret garden as fresh fresh fish and did it ever deliver! We ate here twice on our three days in tulum. Super friendly staff, who were so patient with our non existent Spanish. Try the super delish seafood soup, full of fresh prawns, calamari, octopus, fish. Also tried the prawns with tortillas and rice and the whole fish fillet any style you like, breaded, grilled, in garlic, in butter. Take the time to trek a little further out of town as we would defiantly go again!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

When I visited El Camello it seemed like I was at the wrong restaurant. I'm still baffled. It can't be the same place as the one that's highly rated on tripadvisor. This place is dirty beyond belief. I'm talking stray cats going in and out of the restaurant, flies everywhere and the plates weren't really washed.

The food is even worse. You can tell they reused the oil to cook and fry different dishes. Even the chips tasted like oily fried fish. The ceviche looked like a one ticket to diarrhea town and the shrimp wasn't even cleaned or de-veined. The service is really crappy but my rating doesn't even include that because I come from a third world country; I know that American expectation of service is unrealistic in non-resort areas/establishments. I have been to Egypt, India, Tunisia, etc. and I am not one to complain about the service in local restaurants but the food here and the hygiene are just atrocious.

3  Thank SharkdeTriomphe