“Excellent ceviche”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The locals recommended this place and said the ceviche was worth a visit, and that the prices were very affordable. They were right on the spot! We loved the ceviche - we had the mixed with fish, shrimp and octopus, and it really was excellent. The fish tacos were also very good and their picante sauce topped it off! Service was fast and professional. All for a very good price.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,854)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had heard they had good fish and wanted to try it, so we went there one evening for dinner, we asked the server about the whole fried fish & he said they were out of it, so i tried the tixnic fish & my husband had the garlic fish, it was ok but what upset me was when another family walked in after us & when they got their order they had the fried fish(2 orders of it) i was told was over, after asking the waiter he nonchalantly said it was 'Bigger Fish' so i told him what he did was wrong as he didn't even mention it to me. I guess the sad thing is i felt that because i wasn't white he didn't think to offer it to me while the other family was white. Sad that i have to say this but it happened to me. Never will i send anyone there again.

1  Thank sreb
Reviewed June 17, 2013

bit far from center of Tulum, but worth to try. Its not the best looking place in the town, but the food is really tasty, and the prices are good as well.. 2main dishes, shrims and squids, 2 sodas and it was 260pessos.. But go there earlier for dinner coz it may be full, or they may be out of fresh seefood,.. Earlier means up to 18:00

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Hi All,
I am very pleased to review this tipical Mexican restaurant. We have discovered it asking for information about real food to eat to a taxi driver. Without a doubt he replied "El Camello! Is where we eat". Amazing!
We where looking for skipping the touristic restaurants with expensive fish for 200 pesos and a fake atmosphere.
El Camello is authentic, full at any time of the day of a splendid mix of local and turists of any age. A simple tasteful menu and HUGE portion!!! A medium Chevice is enough for two for 95 pesos!! Delicious!
What is amazing is seeing fisherman bringing fish continuously, it is immediately cooked and served, not even time to freeze it due to the fact that is always full.
Delicious fresh fish guys! Do not miss it! Avenue Tulum right at the end if you come from Tulum ruins.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stopped at El Camello for lunch one day and ordered ceviche mixto and tacos--fish and octopus. Number one, this is too much food for two people, even if you're hungry and on vacation. Number two, the entire meal was a life-changing experience. We may need to return to Tulum more regularly just for octopus.

The small ceviche could feed about five as an appetizer but there was no way we were leaving any behind. It was so perfectly fresh and so perfectly seasoned, the best we've ever had (and we have it every chance we get).

But the octopus tacos took it to an entirely different level. You can order them with a garlic butter sauce or with a more Mexican preparation. I took a flyer on the garlic butter (weird for tacos) and oh. my. god. They were one of the best things I've ever eaten.

We didn't manage to finish the fish tacos but rolled out of there totally stuffed and with huge smiles on our faces. They don't serve tacos for dinner, but I'm willing to bet that you'll find other things on the menu to make up for it.