“Not to be trusted”

GrandSlam Fly Fishing Lodge
Ranked #31 of 141 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed January 16, 2012

GrandSlam unfortunately overbooked on the week I was supposed to go. They took full payment in my account, but cancelled at the last minute, leaving me with no option but to find myself another place. They have refunded my payment only 3 weeks later. I called them to express my disapointment and to see if they could help and I was not able to reach them or did not receive any call back from them for 7 days. Please be careful. Best vacations to all.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Line202

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Outstanding! Best room of any fly fishing lodge we've ever visited. Great food. Super staff. Fishing was truly special. Been all over Belize and the Bahamas and the fish here are big and plentiful. Knowledgable, hard working guide, Tomas, with very good English. Shots at big Permit 3 of the 6 days we fished. Bigger bonefish than we've seen in Belize. Fished a new area every day of 6 and caught bonefish at them all. Nice clean beach. Go!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pleibig
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Grand Slam is truly a deluxe Fly Fishing Lodge. It is a jewel hidden away in Punta Allen. Our room was extremely clean, comfortable and spacious. The meals were superb. The chief prepared fantastic beef, fish and lobster dishes. The presentation of the food was almost like a work of art. Our host “Bobby” was great at attending to all of our dining, relaxing and fly fishing needs. I would highly recommend Grand Slam if you are looking for a super deluxe fly fishing adventure!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HarborTownFlyFishing
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We were ready to explore Punta Allan and the Sian Kaan Biosphere and ventured with our rental car down the long bumpy sand road to check out the Grand Slam Fly Fishing lodge. Interesting drive, amazing pristine coastline with most beautiful wild beaches, mangroves, beautiful lagoon, wildlife, small mayan ruin. We are Exotic Members and have been all over the Yucatan Peninsula but never made it down to Punta Allan in the past. We have taken a tour of the Sian Kaan with Amigos del Sian Kaan and knew we love this area. This was a fun adventure for us. Long and very rough sand road for the little Aveo rental car but worth the drive. Unfortunately, no one was at the Grand Slam Lodge to give us a tour. They must all have been out fly fishing. So we just walked around alone and toured the property. Very impressed with everything we saw and we hope to be able to stay here in the future. We are not fisherman but might try our luck with the lure. You don't have to be a fisher to like this lodge. If you are a nature lover like we are and like the off the beaten path type experience this is for you. It sure looks like a stay here would be a pampered and very laid back and great experience. We did get to use the restrooms in the Reception building and it was just as nice as at any of the other Karisma resorts with the same nice soap and hand lotion. Very, very clean and is probably and indication of how the suites are there. Nice pool area, beautiful beach and great gathering deck with cozy and stylish looking seating area. The restaurant and bar looked really inviting through the windows. We ended up having a great grilled fish lunch with very good margaritas at the little cabana hotel and campground next door called Playa del Sol. Very nice local family that owns the place. I posted our pix of the Grand Slam Lodge for whoever is interested.

Room Tip: They all face the ocean and are on the white beach
Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2011

The GrandSlam Lodge was spectacular in every way. From the moment my friends and I arrived, we were treated exceptionally well. The staff was tremendous. The food was incredible, and they will make whatever you want for breakfast. Ronnie, the bartender, was a great host to us, as he greeted us every evening after our fishing trips with the best margaritas we've ever had. I felt like I was visiting friends, as the staff was incredibly friendly and respectful. In addition, the rooms are the best in the Yucatan, complete with modern conveniences. The beach and lounging areas on the grounds are spectacular as well.

The fishing is just as great as the service at the lodge. Our guides were very knowledgeable and got us into fish each day. We mostly caught bonefish, but there are snook and permit available too. The fish are big and plentiful. My only suggestion would be to limit the number of fisherman per boat to 2.

If you're looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway with world-class fly-fishing, then GrandSlam is the perfect place.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TXheat25
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Until visiting Grand Slam Lodge, I had not yet traveled Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. Now that I've been, I've got to go back! Fly fishing lodges all have an appeal that's unique but Grand Slam really does stand out. Everything about it was top notch from the food to the staff to the fishing. It's a perfect spot to take a wife or a girlfriend regardless if they fish or not. When it comes to the fishing...we had shots at bonefish and permit every single day I fished. Another great part about it is the guides ask you in the morning what you want to do. The best part of the fishing out of Grand Slam is that you legitimately have a shot at catching bonefish, permit, tarpon and snook (Grand Slam) every day. You gotta go and check it out for yourself!
— John Frazier; Editor, Fly Fishing in Salt Waters magazine

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank JRfly313
Reviewed February 5, 2011

In my opinion, Grand Slam Fly Fishing Lodge pretty much has it all. The fishing is exceptional. One can fish for bonefish, tarpon, permit, snook and other popular gamefish. The restaurant is spectacular; I thoroughly enjoyed every meal.... lots of fresh cooked fish, lobster and traditional Mexican dishes. The rooms are very nice. The beach is beautiful. The town next to the lodge, Punta Allen, is lots of fun and very safe. What more can you ask for? I had a great time on my visit.

I posted a more thorough review of the lodge and area here:

[---]