“Stopped by at Grand Slam Lodge and are impressed”

GrandSlam Fly Fishing Lodge
Ranked #35 of 116 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Lake Elsinore, California
“Stopped by at Grand Slam Lodge and are impressed”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We were ready to explore Punta Allan and the Sian Kaan Biosphere and ventured with our rental car down the long bumpy sand road to check out the Grand Slam Fly Fishing lodge. Interesting drive, amazing pristine coastline with most beautiful wild beaches, mangroves, beautiful lagoon, wildlife, small mayan ruin. We are Exotic Members and have been all over the Yucatan Peninsula but never made it down to Punta Allan in the past. We have taken a tour of the Sian Kaan with Amigos del Sian Kaan and knew we love this area. This was a fun adventure for us. Long and very rough sand road for the little Aveo rental car but worth the drive. Unfortunately, no one was at the Grand Slam Lodge to give us a tour. They must all have been out fly fishing. So we just walked around alone and toured the property. Very impressed with everything we saw and we hope to be able to stay here in the future. We are not fisherman but might try our luck with the lure. You don't have to be a fisher to like this lodge. If you are a nature lover like we are and like the off the beaten path type experience this is for you. It sure looks like a stay here would be a pampered and very laid back and great experience. We did get to use the restrooms in the Reception building and it was just as nice as at any of the other Karisma resorts with the same nice soap and hand lotion. Very, very clean and is probably and indication of how the suites are there. Nice pool area, beautiful beach and great gathering deck with cozy and stylish looking seating area. The restaurant and bar looked really inviting through the windows. We ended up having a great grilled fish lunch with very good margaritas at the little cabana hotel and campground next door called Playa del Sol. Very nice local family that owns the place. I posted our pix of the Grand Slam Lodge for whoever is interested.

Room Tip: They all face the ocean and are on the white beach
Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed May 2, 2011

The GrandSlam Lodge was spectacular in every way. From the moment my friends and I arrived, we were treated exceptionally well. The staff was tremendous. The food was incredible, and they will make whatever you want for breakfast. Ronnie, the bartender, was a great host to us, as he greeted us every evening after our fishing trips with the best margaritas we've ever had. I felt like I was visiting friends, as the staff was incredibly friendly and respectful. In addition, the rooms are the best in the Yucatan, complete with modern conveniences. The beach and lounging areas on the grounds are spectacular as well.

The fishing is just as great as the service at the lodge. Our guides were very knowledgeable and got us into fish each day. We mostly caught bonefish, but there are snook and permit available too. The fish are big and plentiful. My only suggestion would be to limit the number of fisherman per boat to 2.

If you're looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway with world-class fly-fishing, then GrandSlam is the perfect place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank TXheat25
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Until visiting Grand Slam Lodge, I had not yet traveled Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. Now that I've been, I've got to go back! Fly fishing lodges all have an appeal that's unique but Grand Slam really does stand out. Everything about it was top notch from the food to the staff to the fishing. It's a perfect spot to take a wife or a girlfriend regardless if they fish or not. When it comes to the fishing...we had shots at bonefish and permit every single day I fished. Another great part about it is the guides ask you in the morning what you want to do. The best part of the fishing out of Grand Slam is that you legitimately have a shot at catching bonefish, permit, tarpon and snook (Grand Slam) every day. You gotta go and check it out for yourself!
— John Frazier; Editor, Fly Fishing in Salt Waters magazine

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JRfly313
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed February 5, 2011

In my opinion, Grand Slam Fly Fishing Lodge pretty much has it all. The fishing is exceptional. One can fish for bonefish, tarpon, permit, snook and other popular gamefish. The restaurant is spectacular; I thoroughly enjoyed every meal.... lots of fresh cooked fish, lobster and traditional Mexican dishes. The rooms are very nice. The beach is beautiful. The town next to the lodge, Punta Allen, is lots of fun and very safe. What more can you ask for? I had a great time on my visit.

I posted a more thorough review of the lodge and area here:

[---]

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bigfish44777
Ft. Collins
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Start practicing your double haul.....and your roll-cast, you'll need it for tarpon!

Grand Slam Lodge is fantastic! From the moment my group of friends and I arrived, the staff at Grand Slam took care of everything we could have needed.

The rooms were beautifully laid out with marble counters, a jacuzzi looking out over the ocean, and rain showers in the bathrooms.

Chef Juan had oer d'oeuvres and Ronnie had drinks ready for us the the minute we got there and every time we stepped off the boats. The deck at the dining room was great for eating, drinking, and telling stories from the day while enjoying the breeze.

The lodge uses a two guide system in every boat. This was something I wasn't used to but turned out to be very effective. More hands to keep your line free, and more eyes to spot the Super Slam!

The guides spoke English very well, were fun to be around, and had an amazing ability to navigate the labyrinth of mangroves to find the tarpon and snook.

I hooked the Super Slam during our short stay but lost all but the tarpon. I can tell you, it wasn't the guides fault! My dreams have been haunted by permit and tarpon tails ever since I got home.

I recommend this place to anyone who has the time and money to experience it! If you get a chance, fish with Alex, the fishing manager. He has fished all over the world, has some great stories, and the smile he gets on his face when you hook a fish is awesome! It makes you feel like you actually know what you're doing.

Alejandro Perez has done a great job with this lodge. You won't be disappointed. the attention to detail is like nothing I've seen before at a fishing lodge. You will feel so comfortable you won't want to leave and you'll be thinking about it till the day you make it back.

3 Thank MATTBURTON
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2010

My friend Wayne and I visited the GrandSlam Fly Fishing Lodge and were treated fabulous fly fishing opportunities as well as some wonderful accommodations, food and hospitality at this brand new fly fishing lodge near Punta Allen, Mexico.
The excellent service started at the airport in Cancun, where we were picked up in a well equipped and air-conditioned van. We were well received when we arrived at the lodge by the managers, head waiter and head chef.
Each unit is a half duplex, facing the water. The units were clean and modern (brand new) and everything worked well. The beds were ultra comfortable and each day when we returned from fishing the rooms were cleaned and made up just like the other Karisma resorts that I have visited.
The fishing experience was very good. The resort hires 3rd party guides and because of it's newness, they are still sorting out who the best guides are. Of the 3 days of fishing, we had recommendable guides on 2 of the days. The fish were there and the guides took us to them... it was just one of those times that the fish were not feeding with the usual ferocity... I suspect that it was a slow time on the solunar tables.
We saw all kinds of fish, doing well on the bonefish but we had limited luck on the tarpon, snook, permit and barracuda. We hooked all of these fish except a 'permit' and Wayne was lucky enough to land a small tarpon.
We did not take our own gear, expecting that we could rent equipment and found out that there was none to rent at the time... we ended up borrowing some from the lodge manager... as we were new to this kind of fishing, it was our recommendation that the fly fishing shop get equipment to lend or rent to their guests.
The food and beverage service was great. Ronnie, the head waiter had everything under control. Because this is such a small resort, the menu is limited. They do however ask if you have any allergies or intolerances so that they can accommodate your needs.
Thanks to Alejandro Perez, Niche Marketing Manager for Karisma hotels for his help and hospitality and all the staff and service people that helped make our stay comfortable, fun and memorable.

2 Thank bigfishsmallhook
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed November 28, 2010

"The moment our group arrived at the lodge the feeling of happiness and relaxation radiated from the entire staff. Sparking wine and appetizers were served as we checked in and we were escorted to our luxurious room and shown its many amenities.The Rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable and all had excellent views of the bay. The Bar and Restaurant were staffed by friendly and knowledgeable people seeking to meet our every need. Food was excellent and served with artistic presentation. The grounds and beaches were well kept and clean.Fishing was excellent and all the guides were very professional. Each had their own area of expertise which provided the angler with good variety. It was a great experience to stay at the Grand Slam Fly-fishing Lodge and I would definitely return and recommend to friends and colleagues."

2 Thank JohnHoag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulum
Rosa del Viento
#1 of 13 in Punta Allen
Kanxuk Luxury Resort
Kanxuk Luxury Resort
#1 of 3 in Punta Allen

Been to GrandSlam Fly Fishing Lodge? Share your experiences!