“Great spot!”

Ranked #65 of 437 Restaurants in Tulum
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Delicious food as well as super nice owners and staff. Would recommend and will go back!

Reviewed May 20, 2012

According to my eyes... they seem bigger than my stomach!
The small restaurant sits on a side street from the busy bustling of downtown Tulum with indoor & outdoor seating as well as free WiFi.
We started off with the red wine sangria (while I also sipped on a tequila since we ARE on vacay). The menu has more than enough variety which didn't help us in deciding on plates to try out since it all looked delicious... So we settled (by no means is this a negative) on the mixed meat & cheese platter, the salad and the seafood paella. We were informed that it would be quite a lot of food which was helpful given our accommodations at the Papaya Playa Project. We weren't staying at a place with a fridge to take care of any left overs so we opted to skip the salad, of course! The meat and cheese platter as well as the bread were perfect in portion size for the two of us. The sangria could've used a bit more fruit, but the crisp apple pieces were plenty to keep my stomach spacious enough for the hearty paella to come.
Maaaaaaan was I glad we didn't order the salad. The dish easily serves 5-6 with appetizers so prepare for a nice food coma you can stave off with a nice walk after eating. The paella was delicious and aromatic with no overbearing flavors and as you become full, your taste buds convince you of just one more bite... over and over again! I will definitely be back.

1  Thank tulum420
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Fideus with black ink!! It was amazing .. Delicioso

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Our first meal at La Gloria de Don Pepe was for lunch. I ordered the snapper steamed in leaves. The waitress took off across the street and came back with a bunch of leaves that she had picked off the tree in the fruit vendor's back yard. She made a joke about how fresh they were. I was mildly skeptical, to say the least. When the fish came, I was a little timid. She prompted me to try eating the leaves. It turned out to be one of the most delicious and perfectly cooked pieces of snapper I have ever had. A conversation in broken English ensued about what the leaf was. We were able to decipher that it was a hojo santa leaf, which I had never heard of.
Our meals were so excellent we went back for dinner a few night later and had the paella which was quite good for the price. When we left the waitress (Daniela?) and I ended up exchanging a great big hug.... Just a beautiful, great lady!
Having been to Tulum several times, we got tired of the rip off and boring food on the beach road and found this to be a wonderful little spot with excellent food for an excellent price.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I wanted to like this place. It's on a cute little side-street in Tulum and has tables facing the street. Sadly, it was the worst dinner out that I had in Mexico for a number of reasons: First of all the service was bizarre. They seemed to be confused by what we were doing in the restaurant... perhaps we wanted to eat?!. Then, when we asked for a wine off the wine list they acted like we had ordered in Mandarin. Apparently saying the name of the wine didn't work (chardonnay is NOT a difficult word to say). When confusion ensued, pointing to it on the menu was not an acceptable ordering technique. Then of course they didn't have any of the wines on their menu, so we asked them to bring a bottle of whatever white wine they had (in Spanish.) These rather rude French people at the table next to us then decided to interject in our conversation "chardonnay IS white wine" -- like we did not now that! They then proceeded to talk about us (how Americans know nothing about wine) while we were eating. We could understand everything they were saying. I may not be a professional enologist, though I think that their rudeness was more to the point that they could not understand what we were saying in English to each other before we ordered.

The first dish they brought out were fried calamari. Ick. I've had better in random bars and family restaurants in New Jersey. I was spoiled by generally excellent seafood in Tulum and I was expecting something good. There was a sheen of grease and the batter non-adherent to the squid tissue, they fell apart and were a mess to eat. The charcuterie that we ordered was OK, pretty standard tapas stuff. The paella was decent, not too salty.

The atmosphere was enhanced by flies. Bring bug spray.

It was, thankfully, quite cheap.

2  Thank landcuo