“Exquisite hotel, although I can't say I like Tulum...”
Review of Hotel Amoreira

and 1 more site!
Hotel Amoreira
Ranked #13 of 146 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is the sort of hotel where you feel like you might be Robinson Crusoe washed up in the South Pacific somewhere. Actually, much of the decor, particularly the great room, struck me as very Polynesian or Tahitian, which I wasn't expecting, with this really fantastic great room that was vast and wall-free, plus all up on stilts so that you walked windy paths to get here and there and everwhere.

We spent four nights and five full days at Hotel Amoreira, in the two-story family room -- which has three beds total -- which I highly recommend to anyone because it's private as well as prettier than the other rooms from what I saw, and I thought the hotel was absolutely exceptional in a very eco-chic way (which I thought was very chill at the hotel itself). It also felt very European, which I liked. It was a good price for the area, had exceptional common spaces throughout and a sublime great room, attentive but very unobtrusive but pleasant staff who really treated us like family while we were there, never intruding but always procuring us curious requests like a machete to open found coconuts, fantastic (really -- excellent) and healthy buffet breakfast, a perfect spot on the beach with the waves just feet away from our room, and I loved access to the kitchen where you could still save a bit by preparing your own meals -- but the kitchen staff will nonetheless wash your dishes, so that's a luxury. Then, you can eat them overlooking the ocean. It's also a smaller hotel, so it never felt overwhelmed with tourists. It's near enough to several high-priced restaurants that you can walk to on the beach where the food tends to not taste much like Mexican food and is about 4-5 times what I paid during the rest of my two weeks/four adjacent states in Mexico. Here and there, however, there are deals if you look. See my other Tulum reviews for these.

I thought it was the prettiest hotel with the best vibe that I saw in Tulum, overall. Tulum was surprisingly NOT my thing, to be honest (I thought the pueblo itself was a nice town once off the main strip with lots of fruterias). While I adore the beach, and the water was warm although really choppy to swim at this time off year beyond a bit of wading about, the "scene" seemed to be a nonsensical cultural mash-up, sort of like Marin County transported to the coast, but nonetheless, the hotel managed to escape such rampant hipsterism and instead just remain a lovely spot on earth to relax under a palapa to the sound of the crashing waves, white, flour-y sand in your feet as the crabs scuttle by.

This is not Cancun. It really reminded me much more of staying in an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora, something the other hotels didn't catch. My only complaint is that the door to the patio had some cracks around it so that at night, even with screens and mosquito netting, I was assailed badly enough to be awakened and had to spray myself with bug spray. For four days in a hotel in a mosquito-y area, if that's the only thing I can think to complain about, well, I say it's quite a good hotel! Provided that you like Tulum; I cannot imagine ever going back, so this review is very much to let others know about the goodness that is Hotel Amoreira.

Room Tip: Family room; it's two story with a winding staircase and is beautiful, large, and private.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Aqusite

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Staff were rude and unhelpful. The breakfast was substandard and the value for money was extortionate as compared to surrounding hotels on the same beach. When we had to cut our stay short due to unforeseen circumstances the owners illegally charged my credit card for three nights for which we were not at the hotel (550usd surcharge), despite no contract or terms and conditions of stay giving them any right to do this. We were appalled by how we were treated. Rooms were basic, and no assistance given regarding requests for organisation of activities (eg yoga). Terrible option avoid at all costs.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Well all I can say is I just got back from paradise! The hotel is well run the grounds are immaculate but it holds a quaint island hut feel to the entire experience. The staff is cheerful, helpful hardworking and provides good help and advice when needed for local excursions.

Location is a great part of the Tulum beach. Walk to restaurants, shops, yoga... Use the shared kitchen.

Great thatched roof rooms, super clean and right on pilings above the beach. You get a great view and a nice breeze.

I was there a week and wished I could have stayed a month. Would I go back - absolutely right to Hotel Amoreira!!!!

Room Tip: There is a honeymoon suite that is just like a Robinson Caruso treehouse. Amazing views of the jung...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Staying in Amoreira is like being home. The concept is very Tulum: eco, community and family.

The best about Amoreira is the staff. Managers Gustavo and Anika are from Hungary. They are bright and attentive. Always smiling. Chatting and sharing. It's a European level of service.

Room #1 we stayed didn't have ocean view - we stayed after New Years. But it was so beautiful, colorful and romantic. The bed was very comfortable, pillows - good. Hot water in the shower is hot) and lights are very light.

The water in the shower didn't drain fast. After our request the cleaning lady fixed it right away.

January nights were pretty chilled. So we used the fan only few times. The air is very fresh.

Towels changed and room get cleaned every 3 days.

The beach is very beautiful. They are shades and beds.

3 kayaks are free for the guests.

Dining area is facing the ocean.

Complimentary breakfast is not just a Coffe and toast. Fruits, cereals, Turkish coffee, breads, croassans, cheese and kolbasa.

Community kitchen is open 24hrs a day. You can keep your groceries in the fridge. Since it's so expensive to eat at the tulum beach.

There is huge community area where you can plug your laptop and work, read in the comfortable armchair at night.

Staying in Amoreira is truly worth it's price. You just need to book up front - only 8 rooms available.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anya W
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Hotel Amoreira at beginning of our tour during the Xmas holidays and again at the end of it. A great base to explore the region or to stay put and enjoy the beach. Try to get one of the beachfront rooms - a room with a view.
The host, Aniko, is wonderfully helpful. We cannot recommend the hotel highly enough.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laszlo k
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We just came back from our first visit to Tulum in December. Stayed in the honeymoon suite located on the top floor of the main building with a panoramic 360 view. Good workout for us climbing up and down stairs! The hotel is a raised series of cabanas with interlinking walkways with the communal kitchen, dining area, and great room. Wood beams and thatched roof construction. A very nice place to go if you want to get away to a quite place like we do. We definitely will go back. Hola Artruro and Sonya!

Room Tip: The two rooms closest to the beach are best for couples. They also have a family suite.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This place is a peace of paradise and quiet of tulum. The rooms are very nice with basic and clean bathroom. There is a little terrace with hamac and table where you can rest and read a nice book. The staff is very nice and dynamic. The kitchen is very well equiped and clean.

The beach is clean and the best of whole tulum. Much more authentic with the hotel behind the trees that keeps the beach a paradise.

It's very well located as it is near to all nice and jetset restaurants. You will love the aera with great concept stores.

This place is simply beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple