“Update - Back again this year and just as wonderful as last time...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Hemingway Romantic Eco Resort
Ranked #67 of 80 Tulum B&B and Inns
Ben Lomond, California
“Update - Back again this year and just as wonderful as last time...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

We returned for another stay at Hemingway and fell in love with the place all over again. There just isn't a better location or a more welcoming staff to be found. Hemingway's new resort manager Adriana is a fantastic new addition. She was warm, knowledgeable and helpful with all aspects of our stay. She even sent me home with a special recipe.

Hemingway now offers yoga 6 days a week and we took a class with Tasseo. He's amazing and completely passionate about teaching yoga and the yoga pavilion is the ultimate place to stretch, breathe and take in the beauty of the oceanfront.

Malena is still on site (as well as Tasseo) for massage. I partook in three massages while we were there and she is simply amazing. If you go, do get a massage with her in the outdoor cabana. You can hear the waves crashing while she works out all the tension in your body.

Juan Carlos is the new waiter/host in the restaurant. He is born and raised in Tulum and was so attentive and made sure we got just what we wanted each time we ate in the restaurant. Eggs have also been added to the morning breakfast selection. It was nice to have another option and the huevos Mexicanos were nice and spicy.

The women who tended our cabana are so sweet. Carmen in particular is a doll and decorated our bed with elaborate mermaids and swans from fresh towels and flowers from the property.

We felt pampered, relaxed and so happy that we picked Hemingway again. It truly feels like home away from home in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Many thanks to owner, Paola, for creating such an easy place to find relaxation.

Room Tip: It's a secret. :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Travelled to Tulum twice this year, and most recently stayed at Hemingway. I had a flu the week before arriving, so was still a little low on energy and needed to chill - and this was the perfect place. The grounds of Paola's little hotel/resort are beautiful - so simple and using white beach sand for the little paths between the main reception/kitchen area and all the bungalows.

Friendly staff - and Paola was lovely and very helpful and obliging in changing the dates of our stay which got altered slightly by a change in flights.

Breakfast was great every morning - and food from the kitchen at night time was fantastic - great pasta, great fish and lobster - all very fresh and very well done.

We stayed in the Arrecife bungalow which was nice as it was set back slightly from the front of the beach which a) stopped any wind noise at night and b) meant it was a little more private than I think the 2 front bungalows would be.

The bed was pretty comfortable, the rooms is clean and bright and airy and opens out directly onto white beach sand - luckily the first couple of nights we were there, the sea turtles were hatching and a couple were flipping around in the sand right outside the room - pretty cool.

Stayed at Papaya Playa the previous trip and hated it (need to review it also) - especially compared to Hemingway, Papaya Playa has lackadaisical service, a very cheap, and a not necessarily clean vibe - very 'hippy' - which shouldn't be an excuse for dirty, lazy and overpriced.

Hemingway has a lovely vibe about it, much more sedate, simple, and sophisticated than any of the other properties I visited while in Tulum - I think its a really great option to base from in Tulum - enjoy the peacefulness but then you have Amansala immediately next door, and then all of the other restaurants and resorts up and down the main road.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I went here for a romantic week. Everything was great. we had the 2nd floor oceanfront cabana above the bar. Beautiful views from our hammocks on our private deck. The food was very nice, the breakfasts (included) were particulalry good.

The staff left us alone but were always nearby if needed. i would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Noise above the bar was never a problem- not a loud bar at all- usually a few couples and perhaps so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tim N
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I spent a lovely week in Hemingway hotel in Tulum in April. This is the fifth hotel I have stayed at in Tulum, they are all different and lovely in there own way but I will definitely stay here again. What made Hemingway special to me was the yoga and the massage on site. Marlena the yoga instructor and massage therapist was wonderful. Imagine doing an almost private yoga lesson in a gorgeous ocean front palapa with breezes from the ocean and then having a massage right after...... sooooo nice! Then spending the afternoon on one of the swinging beds on the beach listening to the ocean and relaxing. Alberto in the restaurant was so nice and accommodating every morning for breakfast. I am a vegan and he had some vegetables cooked for me special a couple of times. So sweet.. All of the staff on the property are welcoming and nice.
Paola the owner is wonderful, I asked about having a fan in my room and the next day there was a ceiling fan installed! I had dinner in the restaurant one night with some fellow guests and the food was excellent. I met some wonderful people also staying here on this trip. Overall five stars!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank GeriK201
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

ALL of the staff including the housekeeping and Valerio who helped us carry our bags through the sand to our taxi, were great. The decor is darling, beachy and colorful. It's rustic. You can see the sand through tiny spaces in the floor boards. I got eaten alive by mosquitos in other parts of Tulum but I think the stiff breeze kept them away from this place. The roofs are palapas with screen around and super open so even with the curtains on the windows there was a lot of light coming in at night. The power goes off at 4:00AM so it finally got dark inside our cabana then. I found it hard to sleep with the ocean roar, wind blowing hard, super hot, and light coming in from around the property. I solved that by using ear plugs and an eye mask! There is no A/C so you have to be ready for that even paying over $200 per night. Morning breakfast was home baked breads, fruit and the best coffee with steamed milk. The location is fantastic, right on the beach, swimming right out front was great. Restaurants, bars and shopping nearby.
There were no phones, tv or mini fridge. I asked for ice and was given 4 ice cubes. Everything is precious and conserved. Don't even think about using a hair dryer and charge your iphone at night when the power comes on! There were only 3 sun beds with shade. This is a big problem as it was 90 degrees and this 54 year old does NOT tan any longer!

Room Tip: "Boa"-ocean front, does not have a door on the bathroom which is open at the top. "A...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Val R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Great place on a beautiful beach. Staying here was the highlight of our fortnight on mexicos east coast. The sun loungers are the perfect way to relax for a few days, while falling asleep to the sound of the sea is unforgettable. Recommended

• Stayed March 2013
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I did not stay at this property but returned to eat at the restaurant several times. They had the best food in Tulum and the service was excellent. The atmosphere is utterly charming and the staff is so accommodating and adorable! I am very discerning and can say that I love this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends