“Great stay in Cabanas” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #68 of 81 Tulum B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Great stay in Cabanas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 4 nights, and we really enjoyed the place. First things first: if you're looking for a traditional "American" hotel, don't stay here -- there's a reason "Cabanas" is included in the title. The cabana we stayed in was quite spacious and had a shower, a bed, and a ceiling fan. The cabanas don't have AC, so you have to open the windows, let the mosquito net down over the bed, and there you go. Additionally, each cabana has a porch and a hammock, which my girlfriend and I used at night to drink beer and hang out -- the porch was a fantastic part of the cabanas, and we saw many people using the porch/hammock every day.

Many reviews complain about the manager, but we actually found him to be very nice and helpful. Heck, he woke up at 4 AM in the morning to make sure we were awake for our early morning flight on the day we left. The service staff is quite nice (if somewhat reserved). The pool was pretty cool, and the gardens are night are fantastic. Another common complaint is that there's no hot water, and that's not entirely true: we only had hot water in the mornings (and once at night), so their water heater probably just isn't large enough to handle the demand at peak hours. Of course, if you're there during the warmer times of the year, you really don't need the hot water at all. Finally, the place sells water, beer, and cokes on site, so if you really don't want to leave for the day, you don't have to... but you should, because Tulum has so much to offer.

The cabanas are about a minute's drive from Tulum... and quite a drive from the beach. In fact, Tulum itself is far from the beach, so I'd recommend renting a car or scooter during your stay. Even bikes could be tiring, especially after a dinner and night out.

Overall, it was a really neat, natural place to stay, and my girlfriend and I will definitely head back here when we return to Tulum!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank a_torres00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We only looked at other reviews for this hotel after we'd made our booking. Having now stayed at the Green Tulum Cabanas, we now understand how some reviewers gave it great reviews while others hated it - we experienced both ends of the spectrum. Bad bits first - on arrival after a long journey we had to wait what seemed like ages before being finally shown to our room. When we finally got there, the ground floor room turned out to be dark, lacking hot water and most of all incredibly noisy - like sleeping in a tent in the middle of a busy traffic island. We complained and were eventually moved (it took 2 days) to a room on the other side of the hotel, whereupon our experience immediately improved. Away from the road traffic noise was much less of an issue, and being on the upper level the room was much lighter. Even the hot water worked, now and again. For the next few days we were able to appreciate the better aspects of the hotel - a basic rustic charm, lots of greenery, a nice pool to sit around. By the end of our stay we'd warmed to the place, but sadly those good impressions were again dented on the day of our departure after an altercation with a surly and ungracious manager who insisted on having our room checked before we left - presumably in case we'd stolen or damaged anything (not that there was much to steal or damage). A lot of reviewers have commented that the manager is one of the main problems with the Green Tulum and I'm afraid we would have to concur. At times he could be friendly and helpful, but at others quite the opposite. All through our stay we had the feeling of being done a favour rather than treated as paying guests with a right to expect a decent level of service. Breakfast (for which you pay extra) was poor - stale toast and orange-flavour drink instead of fresh juice (for gods sake!) Other little details such as a lack of clothes hangers in wardrobes and bathroom doors that didn't close properly added to the sense of an establishment that simply wasn't trying hard enough. A shame really, because with just a little effort, this could be a really pleasant place to stay. As it is, opting to stay here would at best represent a gamble - you might get lucky, you might not.

Room Tip: Insist on a room away from the main road and adjacent industrial units (ie, those to the left of rec...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neil M

Travelers are raving about these Tulum hotels

Tulum, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here for 23 days in January and February of 2010. I became friends with the manager and got a house and moved to Tulum. I recently worked for Green Tulum through most of 2012 and would not recomment this place to anyone.

First, let me say that is a beautiful hotel with romantic rooms and a very nice pool. The gardens are amazing. The problem is the manager. The people who own this place are really good people, but they are from Villahermosa, Tabasco which is almost 500 miles away. The manager is the son-in-law to the owner and basically the black sheep of the family. They are clueless to his activities.

The manager likes to creep around in vacant rooms and watch guest. Lord knows what he's doing, but it's really creepy. He is also a drunk and a coke head. I know cocaine is illegal in Mexico, but there plently here. The manager is also dishonest. He will rip you off on any opportunity he can find. I remember one guest who didn't have pesos and requested an exchange with there US dollar. The exchange rate was so bad that they become upset and told the manager he was ripping them off. The manager responded by grabbing a machete and chasing them off the property. Further, he is always turning off the hot water and if you inquire about it, he will lie to you and try to make feel stupid. The manager also will take uneaten food from a previous guest breakfast and serve to the next. For what, to save a few pesos. Wrong!!!

The worst thing about the manager is he is a thief. Rest assure that while you are away at the beach or on an excursion, he is rummaging through your stuff. He likes to steal womens stuff, especially underwear. As a person who has worked for him, he has stole from me as well, that being the reason I'm not there.

The Green Tulum can be a great place to stay. Hopefully the owners will replace the manager. For now, not a safe place to stay!

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay somewhere at the beach. The Green Tulum is a long ways away from the b...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

-Extremely loud noise
-No hot water
-Drunk manager-owner asked me to have some drinks with him and other 2 guys
-Poor internet connection

It feels like sleeping in the outdoors so if somebody is having a drink outside and you have a room close to the dinner area then you can hear the entire conversation. The noise of 16 wheelers was loud enough to wake me up at 6am the 2 nights I stayed there since hotel is several ft from main road.
No hot water! When checking in with Ted he told us that it was going to take a while since the water heater was on the other side of the hotel. Absolutely not. I felt bad for letting all this water run but 25 minutes ... One night, after I took a cold shower, by the time my husband was in the shower he was able to get some hot water. That was almost an hour of water running. So, if you want to wake up and jump in the shower. Forget it!

Internet was not that good. Even when we where in one of the rooms next the the dinner, we where told it was the place with the strongest signal. We tried using Skype in the breakfast area and it was not possible.

No blanket! It does get chilly at nights (plus I took a cold shower) and I am one of those people that need a blanket. I decided to go ask for a blanket. I found Ted, the guy from reception DRUNK at the hotel bar. The bar is fairly close to the reception area. His eyes were red and he couldn't remember - an hour later after checking in - who I was. Somebody went and got me a blanket, while waiting they kept bulling me for asking for a blanket, saying that I was in a tropical area and it was inappropriate. To make matters worse, Ted just plain told me, while starting at my BREAST, that I was pretty and I should hang out with them at the bar, (2 other guys) and have some drinks. He had just met me and my husband less than an hour ago but I guess he couldn't remember since he was extremely drunk. I felt very uncomfortable and thought that was disrespectful. I said not thanks, took the blanket and went to my room.
Ted was the owner! obviously he can care less if I tried to complain.
Blanket I got? airline blankets are bigger.

To make matter worse, the towels had another hotel/spa name on it. After everything it happen I couldn't help it but just laugh.

Of course no tv (don't mind), no hair dryer, no iron/iron board
We didn't get a hotel by the ocean since we planed to do a couple of activities in the area. All I wanted the hotel for was a hot shower and a nice bed. Well, no hot water and the noise at night and early morning made a nice sleep and a shower too much to ask.

Grounds are well kept, pool looked nice but unfortunately all I wanted was get out of there

I have never experience anything like this...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank karminkarlota
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

Green Tulum where to start... First on the internet they lead you to believe they are on the beach, but they are not even close. That was disappointing but the place was super cute very earthy and rustic exactly what I like but, the rooms were a little on the dark side and could have been clean much better ( I won't go into detail about the lack of cleanliness)
The room are also super close to each other, I woke up to the people beside our little room looking at us sleeping naked (fun times), but that is not the worst.
I had been going non stop for days and wanted to relax thinking I would sleep in to at least 8 or 9 am but that was impossible as there is a lumber yard right next door cutting wood from about 7.30am on not relaxing at all! It's like having a leaf blower going off beside your room and you never know when of if it will stop! Terrible!!!
Now for the kicker! When I went for the "free" breakfast in the morning the orange juice was Tang (powdered orange juice) and instead of some pastries or toast they had frosted flakes and a big tv going which I found to be a big disappointment, I mean we were in Mexico fresh fruit is bountiful, use it!
Now apart from all that when we arrived we were greeted by the owner who smelled of alcohol and although we spoke in Spanish he spoke to us in english, he told us he didn't speak spanish and when we asked him where he was from he said Texas but the guy was obviously Mexican and 5 minutes later was quite fluent in Spanish,and said he was from Mexico... what's up with that kind of behavior it all left us with a bad impression, and it really is too bad because the place it's self is quite beautiful!
Note to the owner if you are reading this, don't drink and then take care of clients makes a really bad impression.Your place was beautiful but loud because of the lumber yard and we got a super weird vibe from you when we came but next day upon check out you seemed very nice, too bad that wasn't our first impression.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bridgette2012
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

Green Tulum is off the beaten path. The hotel is lovely, lovely, lovely. It is very quaint; the rooms are special with wooden shutters and very special headboards. The vegetation surrounding the rooms is jungly and lovely and the pool is quite attractive. They cook you the breakfast of your choice and the common areas are again lovely. There is a little bar with swings and we cannot recommend this hotel enough. The only downside (if you consider it that) is that it is not in the middle of everything. However, if what you want to do is relax somewhere, this is a great place to do that.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

Beautiful little place just off the edge of downtown Tulum.
It's off there main road and in it's own little jungle, with fantastic round cabins.
In the middle is a very cooling pool, bar and breakfast room.
They have great little touches like their own organic soap and have a nice eco friendly vibe.
They have a decent Breakfast buffet in the mornings.
Bikes are available for hire as well.

The only downside is it's just beyond the street lights at the end of town so if you walk home at night there is about 200meters in the dark.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo