“My new Zen Getaway~”

Ranked #27 of 116 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
San Diego, California
“My new Zen Getaway~”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I am so exicited to have found this place! I did yoga here last year, and loved it, and was excited to come back for a little more yoga, and stay here this time as well! First of all, I can say enough good things about Andrew, who was so kind in getting back to me in booking my room, and is such a gracious host. Andrew and Akal are both such great people, and so helpful and kind, such a great plus for a traveler as myself there on a solo trip! I LOVED my room...I stayed up on the top floor with a open air view in the bedroom and the bathroom too! The view out over the jungle was really like being away from it all. The bed was super cool, and was actually hanging from the rafters, and was very comfortable. The bed had a great misquito net over it, but all the windows were carefully covered as well, it really kept all the misquitos out and little critters too, even though I actually loved the sound of the Geokos at night! The whole property is very intimate, and feels more like a guesthouse than a hotel, which I loved. Yoga Shala is right across from the beach, and there are some great places to walk to and eat as well, and they even have bikes to rent to go exporing, it was so cool to get on a bike and go for a ride there, you really dont need a car. I took a bus down, and then a cab , super easy! They have cute cafe right out front as well. The yoga is basically right out your front door, so it was really convienent to get up every morning and do a class. The classes there are really great, and the instructors too were fantasitic, its a very unique atmosphere being there doing yoga, I already cant wait to go back. Thanks for a great getaway!

Room Tip: I liked the rooms on the top few floors, but all the rooms are cool and a great value for anything c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank elizacass

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Andrew and Akal have created a little oasis in the heart of Tulum. It’s their heart, good nature, and being over all so kind that has made my stay at Yoga Shala a place where I will surely come back. Yoga Shala is a very simple, clean stay. The beds and the pillow are very comfortable. I stayed in the room with shared showers and it was perfectly fine as they are a few steps away from the room. WIFI is included which is nice! Andrew and Akal have also created a place where the people who come were all friendly and we had the opportunity to talk in the open spaces.

I practiced yoga up twice a day. The teachers were generous with their time. As a newbie to yoga, they corrected my postures when needed. The yogal shala is across the street from the ocean, so at night, you can hear the waves from your room. For the price, the human contact, this is a sure shot!

If you're gonna come from the airport, Also try Olympus tours. It cost me 30$ shuttle one-way. Definitely an easy way of getting here if you're not going to rent a car.

Room Tip: I tried three different rooms... and they were all fine. The two rooms the side of the garden were n...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Loved this place. Extremely reasonable for what you get. This place has access to the incredible beach just a few steps away. The rooms are very clean and very comfortable at a great price for that location. Also a range of Yoga offerings with skilled teachers from all over the world.

The staff were nice and attentive, and we felt very looked after there. This was a 2nd trip to Tulum, and 1st stay at Yoga Shala. Came back very refreshed and renewed and will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TSlothrop
Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you love your yoga and love to relax, then this is THE place for you. You'll have your pick of twice daily 90min sessions with some fantastic teachers, at a great price if you stay for 5 days or more.
The place is excellent value for money, with the beach just over the road. It's rustic, but incredibly clean. I mean I'm scared of bugs but didn't have any issues staying here.
Andrew and Akal are lovely, and will go the extra mile to answer questions you have and help you out.
I was traveling solo here for the first time in my life, and felt safe, relaxed and had a good mix of being social as well as "me time".
Highly recommend!!

1 Thank Tanya G
Bamako, Mali
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is my first review for tripadvisor, but don´t get suspicious, as I am usually just too lazy to do write one. In this case I will make an exception, because Andrew (one of the owner) went the extra mile for me and I honor that.

Believe me, Tulum has definitely one of the most beautiful beaches in the World, BUT, it´s becoming very pricey. Friends of mine who travelled Tulum only 5 years ago, were shocked by the prices when I told them.
In Tulum you have 3 Options: (A): 100USD+ beachfront cabanas (sans AC), 150USD+ (with AC), (B): Rundown and "rustic". close the ruins (or as the call it there "Eco-chique", which basically means that no one took care of the cabanas for the last 10 years ) for 30-40USD or (C): Tulum Town, where u can find all kind of hostels/hotels and price range. Remark: Tulum Town is about 20-25 minutes by bycicle from the Beach. So if you want to stay at the world famous beach, you have the choice between "cheap" but desolate or nice but "expensive".
And then there is Yoga Shala. In my eyes the perfect place for tulum. You are right at the beach (only to cross the road and walk down the dune ... and keep in mind, if you are not paying the FULL money, your cabana in other ressorts will NOT be right on the beach, but jungle side anyway) for a reaonable price (you have electricity ALL day/night, fan (NONE of the rustic cabanas have that to offer), Wifi - Internet (which worked perfectly when I was there), nice, clean comfy rooms (recently renovated as u can read in the other review).
My tip for the Budget traveller: Rent a bicycle, hitch hike or talk to the other people in yogashala (remember: we are all there because we wanted to find the most reasonable spot in tulum) to share a cab and go for dinner in tulum town. It´s worth it (pescaria el camello!!).
One word to my introduction above: I left my wallet (with money, cards, driving license, etc...) in the yoga shala, I found out about only on my way already to Belize. Andrew and his girlfriend found it, kept it safe for me and met me 2 weeks later right on the highway for the hand-over, so that I did not have to go all the way to the beach, and could conintune my journey to playa without interruption. And they would do it for you too ;o)

Last not least: Why didnt I rate if 5 star: Because there is no fridge to keep anything for a breakfast (so you have to go in the expensive restaurants), and it´s a bit hotter at night (jungle and no breeze like beachside).

pps.: I am absolutely not into yoga, but from what I saw, people really seemed to enjoy it and came from all over Tulum just for the sessions!

San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
Reviewed August 18, 2012

...this will not be a cheap stay as the only places to eat within walking distance are very expensive restaurants. Also, the yoga is very good but pricey (15 usd). The electricity(and therefore fans) and internet were intermittent and the staff all leave the site at night. Could not get internet in my room when it was working. The day I arrived it was very noisy as there was building works, but I'm told this is unusual.Due to the works,I could not use the shower or toilet next to my room. The room was clean but there is nowhere to hang any clothes (not even a nail). So..if it's all about the yoga, fine,but don't expect a cheap or luxurious stay.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My family and I stayed down the road at Cabanas Tulum and walked over to Yoga Shala every morning with my better half going to the early class and me going to the class later in the morning. Really top-notch instructors and a great studio. We are planning a trip for this August and are excited to return!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family