“Great Room, Great Yoga, Great Beach, Great Price”
Review of Yoga Shala Tulum

and 1 more site!
Yoga Shala Tulum
Ranked #27 of 116 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Seattle, Washington
“Great Room, Great Yoga, Great Beach, Great Price”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Loved this place. Extremely reasonable for what you get. This place has access to the incredible beach just a few steps away. The rooms are very clean and very comfortable at a great price for that location. Also a range of Yoga offerings with skilled teachers from all over the world.

The staff were nice and attentive, and we felt very looked after there. This was a 2nd trip to Tulum, and 1st stay at Yoga Shala. Came back very refreshed and renewed and will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TSlothrop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you love your yoga and love to relax, then this is THE place for you. You'll have your pick of twice daily 90min sessions with some fantastic teachers, at a great price if you stay for 5 days or more.
The place is excellent value for money, with the beach just over the road. It's rustic, but incredibly clean. I mean I'm scared of bugs but didn't have any issues staying here.
Andrew and Akal are lovely, and will go the extra mile to answer questions you have and help you out.
I was traveling solo here for the first time in my life, and felt safe, relaxed and had a good mix of being social as well as "me time".
Highly recommend!!

1 Thank Tanya G
Bamako, Mali
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is my first review for tripadvisor, but don´t get suspicious, as I am usually just too lazy to do write one. In this case I will make an exception, because Andrew (one of the owner) went the extra mile for me and I honor that.

Believe me, Tulum has definitely one of the most beautiful beaches in the World, BUT, it´s becoming very pricey. Friends of mine who travelled Tulum only 5 years ago, were shocked by the prices when I told them.
In Tulum you have 3 Options: (A): 100USD+ beachfront cabanas (sans AC), 150USD+ (with AC), (B): Rundown and "rustic". close the ruins (or as the call it there "Eco-chique", which basically means that no one took care of the cabanas for the last 10 years ) for 30-40USD or (C): Tulum Town, where u can find all kind of hostels/hotels and price range. Remark: Tulum Town is about 20-25 minutes by bycicle from the Beach. So if you want to stay at the world famous beach, you have the choice between "cheap" but desolate or nice but "expensive".
And then there is Yoga Shala. In my eyes the perfect place for tulum. You are right at the beach (only to cross the road and walk down the dune ... and keep in mind, if you are not paying the FULL money, your cabana in other ressorts will NOT be right on the beach, but jungle side anyway) for a reaonable price (you have electricity ALL day/night, fan (NONE of the rustic cabanas have that to offer), Wifi - Internet (which worked perfectly when I was there), nice, clean comfy rooms (recently renovated as u can read in the other review).
My tip for the Budget traveller: Rent a bicycle, hitch hike or talk to the other people in yogashala (remember: we are all there because we wanted to find the most reasonable spot in tulum) to share a cab and go for dinner in tulum town. It´s worth it (pescaria el camello!!).
One word to my introduction above: I left my wallet (with money, cards, driving license, etc...) in the yoga shala, I found out about only on my way already to Belize. Andrew and his girlfriend found it, kept it safe for me and met me 2 weeks later right on the highway for the hand-over, so that I did not have to go all the way to the beach, and could conintune my journey to playa without interruption. And they would do it for you too ;o)

Last not least: Why didnt I rate if 5 star: Because there is no fridge to keep anything for a breakfast (so you have to go in the expensive restaurants), and it´s a bit hotter at night (jungle and no breeze like beachside).

pps.: I am absolutely not into yoga, but from what I saw, people really seemed to enjoy it and came from all over Tulum just for the sessions!

San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
Reviewed August 18, 2012

...this will not be a cheap stay as the only places to eat within walking distance are very expensive restaurants. Also, the yoga is very good but pricey (15 usd). The electricity(and therefore fans) and internet were intermittent and the staff all leave the site at night. Could not get internet in my room when it was working. The day I arrived it was very noisy as there was building works, but I'm told this is unusual.Due to the works,I could not use the shower or toilet next to my room. The room was clean but there is nowhere to hang any clothes (not even a nail). So..if it's all about the yoga, fine,but don't expect a cheap or luxurious stay.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My family and I stayed down the road at Cabanas Tulum and walked over to Yoga Shala every morning with my better half going to the early class and me going to the class later in the morning. Really top-notch instructors and a great studio. We are planning a trip for this August and are excited to return!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter M
Portland
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I loved Yoga Shala so much. I'll start with the good things. I actually stayed there about a year and a half ago, and am a little sad that they drastically raised their prices. I stayed for 20 bucks a night, and thought it worth every penny. For 50 dollars though, you can't beat that it is steps away from an amazing white sand, quite, and peaceful beach. All of the other hotels on the road were way pricier. Also, the yoga was only 5 dollars a class, and I enjoyed it. I don't know if I'd spend 15 dollars a class though. There was a sense of community there and many solo travelers which was good because you could share the cost of taxis into the town if need be, or all order together for food to be brought to the hotel. I did ride a bike both into the town, which was flat and easy, and also to the Tulum ruins. That was very hot, but well worth it.

My room was very small, but clean and with a shared bath. The toilets were a little temperamental, and did not flush very well, albeit again, they were clean enough. Gary does say that there is a back up generator, but while I was there twice power went out. Once was in the middle of the night, and everyone got up and congregated outside for most of the night, getting eaten alive by mosquitoes because it was just too darn hot to stay in the tiny rooms with no fans. Also, the owners do not stay on site, so after they leave your kinda SOL if you need something, like bottled water. They keep it under lock and key. One night three of us were very thirsty, and didn't want to walk to another hotel pretty late at night. I think that this is something that should be provided, but that is just me. Also, not kitchen facility that is available to guests to store your own food if you wanted to bring it, which is kind of a bummer. Know that eating is going to be expensive on the beach strip of Tulum, or your are going to have to take a taxi to go to the city.

I really did love this little place though, I would go back. The beach is absolutely amazing!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lizm82
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed March 3, 2012

great atmosphere very quiete and silent lots of armony also the yoga clasess are great and the people that works there are amazing the owner akal its very nice with the guess my girlfriend and i we love it and we will be back.

Room Tip: we love the ones at the first floor are very mayan looking and confortable