“Good value for room and access to great part of beach BUT...”
Review of Yoga Shala Tulum

Yoga Shala Tulum
Ranked #28 of 123 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
“Good value for room and access to great part of beach BUT...”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

...this will not be a cheap stay as the only places to eat within walking distance are very expensive restaurants. Also, the yoga is very good but pricey (15 usd). The electricity(and therefore fans) and internet were intermittent and the staff all leave the site at night. Could not get internet in my room when it was working. The day I arrived it was very noisy as there was building works, but I'm told this is unusual.Due to the works,I could not use the shower or toilet next to my room. The room was clean but there is nowhere to hang any clothes (not even a nail). So..if it's all about the yoga, fine,but don't expect a cheap or luxurious stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My family and I stayed down the road at Cabanas Tulum and walked over to Yoga Shala every morning with my better half going to the early class and me going to the class later in the morning. Really top-notch instructors and a great studio. We are planning a trip for this August and are excited to return!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter M
Portland
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I loved Yoga Shala so much. I'll start with the good things. I actually stayed there about a year and a half ago, and am a little sad that they drastically raised their prices. I stayed for 20 bucks a night, and thought it worth every penny. For 50 dollars though, you can't beat that it is steps away from an amazing white sand, quite, and peaceful beach. All of the other hotels on the road were way pricier. Also, the yoga was only 5 dollars a class, and I enjoyed it. I don't know if I'd spend 15 dollars a class though. There was a sense of community there and many solo travelers which was good because you could share the cost of taxis into the town if need be, or all order together for food to be brought to the hotel. I did ride a bike both into the town, which was flat and easy, and also to the Tulum ruins. That was very hot, but well worth it.

My room was very small, but clean and with a shared bath. The toilets were a little temperamental, and did not flush very well, albeit again, they were clean enough. Gary does say that there is a back up generator, but while I was there twice power went out. Once was in the middle of the night, and everyone got up and congregated outside for most of the night, getting eaten alive by mosquitoes because it was just too darn hot to stay in the tiny rooms with no fans. Also, the owners do not stay on site, so after they leave your kinda SOL if you need something, like bottled water. They keep it under lock and key. One night three of us were very thirsty, and didn't want to walk to another hotel pretty late at night. I think that this is something that should be provided, but that is just me. Also, not kitchen facility that is available to guests to store your own food if you wanted to bring it, which is kind of a bummer. Know that eating is going to be expensive on the beach strip of Tulum, or your are going to have to take a taxi to go to the city.

I really did love this little place though, I would go back. The beach is absolutely amazing!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lizm82
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed March 3, 2012

great atmosphere very quiete and silent lots of armony also the yoga clasess are great and the people that works there are amazing the owner akal its very nice with the guess my girlfriend and i we love it and we will be back.

Room Tip: we love the ones at the first floor are very mayan looking and confortable
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I came angry and depressed suspiciously eyeing the hordes of happy hippy yoga types who are everywhere in that part of Tulum beach road.....5 days later I left a happier human being...thanks Yoga Shala - namaste! Rooms are clean and basic, some yoga classes were a bit weird but overall, this place is a great deal for $59 a night....

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Monsbrown
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I booked a last minute solo vacation and was looking for something simple (at the beach all I need is a nice bed and a clean bathroom) where I would meet other cool people. Yoga Shala was perfect.

Space & Location: My room was on the top floor in the jungle - I could hear the ocean across the street. Nothing fancy and the wood & stucco type roof was crumbling a bit but it was clean and open. Outside my door was a lovely porch where I sat and painted in the morning. You have to share a bath, but the baths were stone and very clean. A few lizards poked in, but they're cute and harmless. The beach was right across the street and there are many good restaurants right there.

People: at breakfast (amazing fresh papaya with yogurt and granola) I met several lovely interesting well traveled European and American couples who I ended up hanging out with for the trip. Gary is also amazing and great to talk to or get recommendations from. The staff was very sweet and so helpful.

Yoga: there were 4-5 classes a day in varying styles. Most of the teachers were very good, though some had interesting twists - eg acroyoga, martial arts yoga - that were not really my thing and were not listed on the schedule. I suggest asking beforehand what type of class it is. The 8:30 am tended to have more advanced practitioners and was more intense, which I like. Tomer, Murial and Erin were great.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor or front facing rooms. Rooms in the back are not as nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Adelma122
Pilsen, Czech Republic
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We were really satisfied with the accomodation in Yoga Shala. There are simple rooms but with everything you need (really comfortable bed, hot shower, fan, etc.). There is also wifi and you will get drinking water for your whole stay. For sure, it is one of the best deal in the area. For that price, you will get almost the same in other places where the night costs more than 100 dollars. The best about Yoga Shala is the atmosphere. All the employees are really kind and helpful. I want to say thank you again to Gary and his wife. You can get in touch easily with other guests there because the breakfast are common around one big table, so this make everything so friendly. I can really recommend this place!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple