“Clean, basic but great deal just steps away from the beach”
Review of Yoga Shala Tulum

Yoga Shala Tulum
Ranked #32 of 121 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
“Clean, basic but great deal just steps away from the beach”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I came angry and depressed suspiciously eyeing the hordes of happy hippy yoga types who are everywhere in that part of Tulum beach road.....5 days later I left a happier human being...thanks Yoga Shala - namaste! Rooms are clean and basic, some yoga classes were a bit weird but overall, this place is a great deal for $59 a night....

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Monsbrown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I booked a last minute solo vacation and was looking for something simple (at the beach all I need is a nice bed and a clean bathroom) where I would meet other cool people. Yoga Shala was perfect.

Space & Location: My room was on the top floor in the jungle - I could hear the ocean across the street. Nothing fancy and the wood & stucco type roof was crumbling a bit but it was clean and open. Outside my door was a lovely porch where I sat and painted in the morning. You have to share a bath, but the baths were stone and very clean. A few lizards poked in, but they're cute and harmless. The beach was right across the street and there are many good restaurants right there.

People: at breakfast (amazing fresh papaya with yogurt and granola) I met several lovely interesting well traveled European and American couples who I ended up hanging out with for the trip. Gary is also amazing and great to talk to or get recommendations from. The staff was very sweet and so helpful.

Yoga: there were 4-5 classes a day in varying styles. Most of the teachers were very good, though some had interesting twists - eg acroyoga, martial arts yoga - that were not really my thing and were not listed on the schedule. I suggest asking beforehand what type of class it is. The 8:30 am tended to have more advanced practitioners and was more intense, which I like. Tomer, Murial and Erin were great.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor or front facing rooms. Rooms in the back are not as nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Adelma122
Pilsen, Czech Republic
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We were really satisfied with the accomodation in Yoga Shala. There are simple rooms but with everything you need (really comfortable bed, hot shower, fan, etc.). There is also wifi and you will get drinking water for your whole stay. For sure, it is one of the best deal in the area. For that price, you will get almost the same in other places where the night costs more than 100 dollars. The best about Yoga Shala is the atmosphere. All the employees are really kind and helpful. I want to say thank you again to Gary and his wife. You can get in touch easily with other guests there because the breakfast are common around one big table, so this make everything so friendly. I can really recommend this place!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magdalena81
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Gary was very nice and helpful. There was a problem with the room we booked when we arrived but it was fixed the next day and Gary offered a compensation. The location is good, you just have to cross the street and another cabana-style hotel to get there. There are some restaurants in the area in a walking distance, or you can take a cab to the center. The yoga classes are really good and it's a good occasion to try different kind of yoga. The breakfast is simple, healthy and cheap compared to other facilities in the area. Overall it's a very good deal.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I did not find the hotel to look like it does in the pictures online, and when I got there, I was unpleasantly surprised. It just feels much more rustic than it looks online. I actually tried to find a different hotel upon arrival, but I soon realized, for the budget conscious traveller, this is a good deal. Gary, the owner, is extremely kind and helpful, as others have mentioned before. Actually, all of the people who work there were really nice, and this helped me to come to appreciate this place. I decided to stay, and I am glad I did. I have mellowed out in the three days I have been here, so who knows, maybe I just needed to chilllll out coming from US city life. The reality is Tulum is very rustic in general. I have seen other hotels that are charging 2-3xs as much as Yoga Shala, and to me, it just wasnt worth it to switch. I decided to save money and take advantage of their great location, bike rentals, wifi services and just enjoy. It has been a good experience. If you are up for rustic, this is a great place. I felt very welcome there despite my neuroticness upon arrival. Namaste :)

Room Tip: Walls are pretty thin, but I slept pretty darn well in room # 5. Shower was quite low pressure thoug...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Staying at Yoga Shala Tulum is a great experience - as long as you're prepared for it. The best part is simple: excellent to outstanding yoga teachers, most disciplines covered, tons of classes (all day every day). The location is unbeatable, too. Just steps from beautiful, clean beaches, with plenty of restaurants at every price point close at hand.

Next, it has to be said that the management is extraordinary. Friendly and helpful doesn't begin to express how great they are. You feel more like you're staying at some eclectic cousin's house than at a hotel.

That brings me to the accommodations, which I must admit will not be for everyone. At the same time, I would say that you get more than you pay for (the prices are spectacularly low!). The rooms are good sized to big, the beds are comfortable, all the rooms have fans and a private bath.

I was VERY happy there and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes roughing it a little. But it is definitely not for those who are used to the 'fit and finish' of even a Holiday Inn (let alone more upscale accommodations).

--> Oh, and the room rate includes a great breakfast complete with visiting giant lizards who will, if you're lucky, eat papaya pieces from your hand!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
playa del carmen
Reviewed October 7, 2011

i stayed there last week, the place is well located, very clean, and a very friendly atmosphere. The Yoga is offered there on a beautiful palapa, so its great to wake up, take a yoga class, and then a fresh fruits breakfast. Just across the street it's a beautiful beach and incredibly blue sea. It's not necesarry to go and spend $400 on a "boutique hotel", when you get this services for $50 usd. The managment Akal and Gary do a great job of attending all clients. I really recommend this place, and come to feel the real flavour or Tulum. I will come back for sure!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo