“most beautiful setting on earth”
Review of Be Tulum Hotel

Be Tulum Hotel
Ranked #25 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My husband and I as well as two other couples just returned from Be Tulum. It was truly heaven on earth. We were greeted by Anna, who was so friendly and made us feel special and welcome. The rooms are so different from anywhere I have ever stayed. They are like luxurious treehouses with floor to ceiling windows and a view which I will never forget. Our room had our own private rooftop infinity pool with a view of the ocean and jungle. The beach has the softest white sand and the most comfortable beds to lie on. The staff at the hotel are the friendliest, most accomodating staff you will find anywhere. Christian took amazing care of us and the food was always fresh and delicious!!! It is truly hard to leave this place. I hope to be back one day soon.
Lynda & Ritchie
Toronto

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynda222

Reviewed June 11, 2010

As many Tripadvisor viewers I was excited to see what is this hotel is all about! Like most people commented the staff and service at this hotel were phenomenal!!! Special thanks to Marcias for arranging our excursion for us.

If you are staying at this hotel I would definitely recommend going there with a private transfer because it takes two hours from the airport to Tulum. We used Cancun Transfers, which was really good. They were on time and very professional.

We stayed at the Jungle suite and I think it was great, at first i was debating should i book the Arena suite and would that be closer to the beach. However all the suites are steps ways from the beach, so Jungle suite would be adequate. For any suites i would recommend the upstairs room because you'll have more privacy and a jacuzzi that comes along with it. The ground floor suites have a dipping pool, but the shower area can easily be seen by others walking by, so definitely prefer upstairs rooms.

They clean the room twice a day. Food was pretty good, but a little costly, however it's expected in this area of the city. Can't stress how friendly and professional the staff were and I think that keeps them apart from other hotels.

Although it's free internet, they only have reception in the lobby and restaurant. However, when you are here you don't need any of this, just enjoy the nature.

The beach in front of this hotel is Gorgeous, with pristine ocean and white sand.

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank cranqee66
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary and they make us feel like a Queen and King.
Moonlight was great, Rooms outstanding, Meals made with too much love and friendly treatment made us to have an unforgettable experience.
If you are looking for an exclusive hotel, relax, tranquility, sun, soft sand, mills of shore just for you and unbeatable service Be Tulum is the place to go.
Do not leave without taking a body massage, you will feel like in heaven.
Thanks To Carlos, Chistian and all his crew for being so special.

Reviewed May 29, 2010

My husband took me for my birthday, and the staff were phenomenal. They were so incredibly kind and helpful, they made such a fuss of me on my birthday and made me feel like a million dollars. We were greeted with complimentary Champagne Cocktails, they treated us to birthday cake, and just made us both feel special. The beach service was great, with fabulous clean towels, the rooms were spotless, and the food was of a really high standard. I recommend the Tuna Sashimi Tower with Salad as a starter, and for breakfast we had some of the best Eggs Benedict ever! The resort is small and boutique style, with a great attention to detail, but yet extremely private, and VERY romantic. The rooms with hot tubs are great, and the rest have splash pools, or roof pools to enjoy. A great experience, the beach has got to be one of the best in the Caribbean, and my husband and I shall certainly return. I fully recommend this hotel, you won't be disappointed! Lindsey Western

2  Thank lwestern
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Whatever minor transgressions can turn a 5-star review into a 4-star one simply disappear with the incredible setting and once-in-a-lifetime service you'll receive at BeTulum.

If you're like me, you're spending a lot of time reviewing the many options for Tulum and wondering, "Is BeTulum as good as it looks on the website? Is it worth the price?" The answer to these questions is "Absolutely." In addition to a gorgeous, well-maintained hotel with 24-hour electricity and air conditioning, the beach is pristine and uncrowded and the water so warm and clean. BeTulum is paradise with incredible service.

We booked a hotel-airfare package on Orbitz, which enabled us to book one of BeTulum's oceanfront rooms. For those of you wondering whether or not to rent a car, we did so at the airport. The ride down Highway 307 to Tulum was well-paved and easy (although not particularly scenic). If you decide not to rent a car, be assured that there are plenty of taxis in Tulum.

If you drive, once you reach Tulum, you'll take a left at the second stoplight (I believe it says "Paila" and drive approximately 10km south to the resort. Again, the beach road (Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila) is well-maintained. BeTulum is pretty far south, almost to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Preserve. You'll pass many of the other properties listed here on your way.

Once we arrived, we were greeted by Marcia (I hope she'll pardon me if I misspelled her name), the first of the many wonderful, smiling, helpful, and friendly faces that would become our guides and friends during our stay. She took our car key so that the staff could carry our bags to our room. As has been noted, the property is long and narrow, with the bar/restaurant in front of the beach and the rooms winding their way back towards the road. There are two beachfront rooms, which I would highly recommend. We had the upper room, which included a private rooftop dipping pool; it also provided an incredible and unforgettable view of the sunset over the vast jungle to the west.

I was a bit concerned about noise in that the room overlooked the bar, restaurant and pool. However, the music was always kept at respectable levels, and the bar closed early. Noise was never a problem. BeTulum was incredibly restful.

The room was accurate to the pictures on the website. The owner is an Argentinian architect who clearly took great pride in the small--and large--details. We met him during our stay and he shared his experiences envisioning and building BeTulum. He was wonderfully warm and friendly and asked us to join him at his table at the bar one night, where we sat and chatted with his interesting friends.

That being said, construction and maintenance could be an issue moving forward. Much of the construction materials are South American hardwoods that require a lot of maintenance. Being a new resort, it's clear that a number of minor maintenance issues have come up, as well as instances where the design was difficult to pull off in construction. One example was the bathroom sink, which splashed water on us whenever we used it. But remember when I said "minor transgressions?" These are the kinds of minor, irrelevant flaws that exist here.

Since we arrived late in the evening our first day, we ate at the restaurant. In addition, the Orbitz package included a Continental breakfast, which we applied towards tasty omelets and coffee in the morning. The restaurant makes three different ceviches and some excellent main courses, but because we wanted to try other restaurants in Tulum, we only ate one dinner there.

But the big star at BeTulum is the staff. We slept in the first day and arrived after the stated breakfast hours. When we asked whether we could have breakfast at 11:30, Christian, the Restaurant-Bar Manager smiled and winked while looking at us as if we were crazy. He said a phrase that we would hear over and over - "It's not a problem - you are our guests." Then one by one, the other staff bounded over to meet us. Gaby, with her infectious energy and wonderful laugh; Sergio, who was warm, affectionate, and attentive; Quique, cool, smiling and efficient; Angel, the smiling, hard-working bartender. I learned that much of the staff was new to the facility, but I could see how well Christian had trained them. Christian worked incredibly hard to make sure we were well-pampered - from picking up and moving chairs on the beach to always checking up on us to make sure we had everything we needed. I have never had such warm, friendly and professional service.

We also had the opportunity to meet Carlos, the General Manager of the hotel. He always made sure we had everything we needed.

A comment was made here about the service being uptight and snooty. That couldn't be further from the truth. We truly befriended the staff during our time there. Not only that, some of them spent time on the beach with us after their shift. How wonderful that they could enjoy paradise with us in a more casual way! There was never any attitude, only a desire to treat us like royalty.

The minor transgressions, which I noted at the top, should be noted. Housekeeping could be a little inconsistent. It was hard at times to get towels in the room. I'd also like to see BeTulum provide more bathroom amenities. They provided a small tube of shower gel, which ran out quickly. They did not provide shampoo, not a problem for us given that we brought it with us, but perhaps for others. Other amenities, like cotton swabs, bars of nice soap, wet-naps, and other luxury items would be befitting a luxury boutique hotel like BeTulum. The air conditioner provided a level of comfort but had a difficult time keeping up with the heat. The shower handle fell off (it could easily be replaced by us, but it's not what you expect of a new hotel). These are the kinds of maintenance issues that management will have to deal with in order for the facility to continue to match the service.

But these are such minor inconveniences that it shouldn't at all affect your decision as to whether or not to stay here. This is truly a gem, not just in Tulum but in all of Mexico. I hope that you will enjoy it here as much as I did.

3  Thank BradleyX
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Most of our wedding party stayed at the Be the week of my friends' wedding. It was like a beautiful dream. The rooms are so comfortable and luxurious you will want to stay forever. The service was beyond compare; professional and warm. The beach and the sand, the sun and the clouds..amazing. Highly recommended for a quiet and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank oceanloverBoulder
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I have never seen or never stayed in such an incredible place. Well, Tulum itself is absolutely incredible. And, when you get to stay in the newest (as I heard) and the coolest and the most tranquil place - you are simply in for a disaster. In a good way. You don't want to leave. You dont want to ever leave. The service is impeccable; Christian will spoil anyone rotten with delicious drinks and snacks and amazing food. They will bring your table down to the beach to have an incredible dining experience and to meet your every wish. The rooms are large, clean and designed with such a style and nature in mind. The food is fresh and delicious. Absolutely delicious. Carlos (not sure of his position) will greet you at the door and will make almost all of your wishes come true. The ones possible in the Be Hotel. And, if you get to experience the rise of the full moon above the Caribbean sea from the Be Hotel - you will sure not want to ever leave this paradise...

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business