“fabulous beach hotel”

Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
London, United Kingdom
“fabulous beach hotel”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a lovely time. The hotel is set in the jungle with a beautiful beach and stunning sea. The rooms were nice with a large double bed, sitting area, spa bath, designer marble sink and both indoor and outdoor showers. The food at the hotel was delicious all served at the small restaurant on the beach or by the bar. Breakfast was lovely with interesting eggs cooked to order. We ate dinner here a couple of times and the food was fantastic, delicious salads and perfectly cooked tuna. The star dessert was the secret garden, a flower pot of creamy lemon mouse with black crumb topping served with a
deconstructed spiced apple crumble. Delicious! There are a few local restaurants within walking distance but the road is very dark at night, no lights and no pavement.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kay2948
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear "kay2948",

Thank you so much for your nice review! It's been a pleasure to have you staying at our hotel!

We hope you can visit us again soon on this beautiful part of the world!

Be Tulum Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Booked a jungle suite with a king bed through Travelocity. When I arrived they showed me to a room with two twin beds and told me and my girlfriend to "push them together." I informed them of the error and they said they can't guarantee rooms based on Travelocity. Pretty sure that's the whole point of using a booking site. Anyway, When I asked them to find me a new room, they took my request down and dodged my phone calls for the next few days. After several conversations with management they put me in the Arena suite at my expense. Which is a lot more expensive. They even tried to move me out of it on my last two days because they needed it for another guest. Pretty crummy. The place is beautiful, the food was good and the waiters were very nice. It's a shame it had to be ruined by poor customer service. The funny part is I saw them do this to another couple as I was leaving. If you go, make sure you request a king bed over the phone with them directly.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank TankyB0y
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear “Matt H”,

We are very sorry about what you wrote here. Unfortunately, bed requests on Travelocity are not guaranteed, as the reservations site do not ask us for them, they just inform us that the guest would like to have that specific room configuration post-reserve. As we can not answer to the request in advance to the guest’s arrival, once in a while we end up with a bed-type problem we can't solve on the very same day. This seldom happens, but it happened to you, and we are genuinely sorry about it.

We never dodged your phone calls, that has to be a misunderstanding. Why would we do such thing with a paying costumer?

We understand that you didn’t like not having your requested bed, and that the king size beds were in a different type of room was not the answer you were looking for. Again, we are very sorry about that, but please understand that third-party online booking systems have sometimes this issues, and they are not the hotel’s fault. On your arrival, we tried to fix the problem as much as we could.

Thank you for chosing Be Tulum.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed February 12, 2014

First I had never been to Tulum before, i was out of words when i was driving through the small road from tulum town to the hotel area. (you should try to do it by bike) When I arrived to the hotel it was just perfect, the attention of Jesus is amazing, a real friend in the hotel He even helped me book my aniversary dinner as a special ocasion at the hotel on advanced. We had a jungle suite (1st floor) and love the idea it was just us and nothing else, no TV. there are 20 rooms in the hotel, and they are either on the 1st floor with a small private pool or in the second with a hottub. Water from the shower is salt water as from the ocean and they are a very green hotel. The food from the restaurant is just out of the believable. Couldnt imagine myself eating in that level of quality and then oppening my eyes and seeing that amazing view un tulum. Beach is as I said paradise, warm ocean, no waves (small waves) the idea is to relax and olny relax while you are in Be Tulum. Try asking in the pool area for Guadalupe or Maria Pia, really cool girls that help you with the menu and Jesus an front desk, he is a really cool guy who has all the tips you may need.
This is a place every person should go one in their life.
In fron of the hotel there is an awesome SPA, the best one in Tulum.

Room Tip: Ocean view suite, you will have the best view and a private pool on the terraze
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joselin G
Dear "Joselin G",

Thank you for your amazing feedback! You have described Be Tulum better than we possible can!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We just got back from a week in Tulum, 4 days of which in BeTulum which is by far one of the best hotels I've visited. The location, the design, the service and the food are just great. The only thing was that our room was right next to the reception and was quite noisy in the mornings...
Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear "EY13",

Thank you for your nice words about your stay at Be Tulum! Everything we do, we do it for our guests.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We just got back from 4 nights at Be Tulum. Tulum itself is gorgeous, rustic and charming. Be Tulum is a slice of luxury. Huge rooms, hot tubs, tasty food, etc etc. We had a problem one night with insects dropping from the roof in our room, a nasty fright in the night. However, it was dealt with immediately - we were moved to a different room and the manager came to see us and offered to reimburse for that nights stay which was great. We had a spa treatment which was LOVELY - only feedback would be that the sauna was not very hot and the steam room smelt a bit but the massages were superb. I also had the Limpias treatment - I enjoyed it very much but was a shame my therapist didn't speak any english as I would have loved to asked her questions to understand a bit more about what she was doing. We will be returning!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hanniboo82
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear "hanniboo82",

Thank you very much for leaving this great feedback! Thanks also for your helpful comments and suggestions about the spa.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 2, 2014

**resubmitting yet again. Visitors of the hotel should be able to review their customer service experience, Be Tulum. Thanks for providing potential paying guests this sort of customer service transparency instead of reporting any review that is not 100% favorable. **

The good: the property, and (most) of the staff.

The not-so-good: the insincere receptionist working the afternoon of 17 Dec 2013.

I had arrived in Tulum on 17 Dec 2013, had checked into my hotel, and was exploring the area seeking a snack. After a short walk down the road, I discover Be Tulum. I enter the property seeking the restaurant, am greeted at reception, and continue on my way to the restaurant area.

Pretty quickly, I notice a beautiful pair of chairs and lights in a grove. I am a professional visual designer, travel consultant and mobile photographer by trade, so anything artistic naturally captures my eye.

Out comes my mobile phone to capture the beauty of Be Tulum. After three photos... I am approached by the man at reception who asks if I am a guest. After saying that I am visiting and am seeking the restaurant, he doesn't give me directions to find the restaurant. In fact he's pretty vague with that piece of information.

He is, however very clear in stating that: no photographs should be taken of Be Tulum property, that it's 'mal duende' to do so, and that the property owner states that no photos be taken. He asks then if I understand, and then finishes his speech tossing in the term 'rude' for emphasis while pressing his hands together as a gesture of 'namaste' that was about as sincere as his welcome.

Our conversation prior to that was entirely in Spanish, naturally, so the addition of the term is definitely intended to push a persona-non-grata message home. Talk about discouraging potential paying guests!

Yikes.

Luckily, I decided to continue onward and proceeded to the restaurant and bar area, where had a few beverages while a storm came and passed, and left.

During that two hour period while I had my beverages, I met the wonderful and amazing 'other' staff. The pleasant staff. All of them---once you pass the entrance, that is.

When asked, the staff that told me that photographs are absolutely fine. Therefore, I've posted the (very few) photos that I took of the property during dusk in a storm.

From what I see, Be Tulum has a beautiful property. And very pleasant staff except for the Dragon at the Gate.

As for the 'no photo' policy, I want to hear official confirmation of that before I decide if I ever want to become a guest in the future. Especially since seeing other photos of the property posted on Trip Advisor without issue.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
12 Thank katkage
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear “katkage”,

we are surprised to once again see your review published here after being deleted by TripAdvisor the last two times. You were finally allowed to rate a hotel you never ever stayed at, damaging our reputation and score. This totally defeats the very reason of hotel reviews, doesn’t it?

We tell every non-guest that we don’t grant permission to take pictures of our premises, and we are sorry you didn't like this privacy rule.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2013

RICH HIPPY. My friends and I just got back from Tulum and our stay at Be Tulum, and even in the Toronto light of day, still talk about the dreaminess that is this place. While there, I was thinking about this review and inspecting every nook and cranny of this hotel. Yes, the damp salty air has its way with rusting and wearing all the beautiful natural materials that the resort is made of, and yes, there's a little dust here and there (in places only I would notice!), but the bigger picture overwhelms with incredible beauty, tranquility and luxury. We visited other resorts to see where we'd stay on our return to Paradise, but frankly, there is no other. From the lush landscaping and blue-tiled plunge pools at many doorsteps, to the luxurious - not tacky - AC rooms that have been carefully designed with the sophisticated traveler in mind (leather butterfly chairs, fluffy duvets, round jetted tubs, distressed wood finishes, natural plank flooring we're busy importing into our homes, stone sinks, private toilet rooms, floor to ceiling windows, vaulted roofing in upper rooms and sliding doors on the 'rain' forest), everything whispers relaxation. Think NO CONCRETE. Just white sand slipping through your toes, even as you exit your room.The fragrant scent of the ocean and forest permeates everything; I didn't wash my clothes for days on return to the city. The intimate infinity pool and boho chic barefoot dining areas also impress, but the beach is the final say with giant 'bean bag' loungers, chairs, TIKI bar, service, etc that tell you you're in the right place. The gentle, cool trance music wafts over the pool, dining and beach area, and there are old fashioned bikes at your disposal to roam the Tulum boutiques and restaurants. Don't even bother reviewing other hotels along this strip. There is no other.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a splash pool, if available. If not, don't worry: they're all fabulous.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Ellen Z
BeHotels, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear "Ellen Z",

Thank you so much for the lovely words about Be Tulum! You seem to have discovered the real spirit of our hotel.
And thanks for the great pics you shared!

We hope you can visit us again soon on this beautiful part of the world!