“Simply Amazing”
Review of Coco Tulum

Coco Tulum
Ranked #5 of 89 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Just returned from Coco Tulum and it was amazing! The staff, especially Raquel (I think?) were so helpful. We stayed in a beachfront cabana, and waking to the sunrise was unreal. The beach was incredibly clean, kept tidy by the maintenance staff. The bathrooms were also really clean.
Here's the thing: if you want TV, lots of electricity, and crazy nightlife, Tulum probably isn't the place for you. Also, the first night we stayed in a garden cabana, and I found a scorpion in my room. You have to realize you're staying in their environment, so this might happen. I hate spiders/scorpions, so this was a little unsettling, but I got over it. We had no problems with bugs in the beachfront cabanas.
All in all, I'm counting the days until I can go back to Coco Tulum.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mexiconomad
There are newer reviews for Coco Tulum

Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed in the top room in the tower for four nights and loved it. The place couldn't be more relaxing and lovely, and the views from the top were fantastic. Although it did get a bit cold and drafty at night, but it was unseasonably cold during our stay. We've been to Tulum a couple times now and this place is great. We used to like Cabanas Copal, but it seems that management isn't putting the effort to keep it up.

Don't miss out on the amazing guacamole, fish tacos and cucumber margaritas at neighboring and sister hotel Playa Azul!

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lulamaerusu
Reviewed December 30, 2010

It's not Coco Tulum's fault per se but it's a crazy world when $100 a night is considered "good value" for a beach hut. We stayed in a beachfront cabana for one week and overall it was fine but there was none of the charm or personal touch I might have hoped for from some of the earlier reviews. The room was clean but I was disappointed by the pilled and stained (though well-laundered) polycotton sheets and ragged towels.
I knew I'd have to trek to the bathrooms but it still was a bit of a hassle, particularly in the middle of the night.
Overall, it felt like camping and it was hard to really get comfortable in the room. (there is literally nowhere to sit if you have your mosquito net done up, no chair, etc.) That would probably be fine if there was a nice place to lounge around but Coco only has hammocks and they are set up so that there is virtually no way to catch the shade when the sun becomes too much.
On a bright note, we really liked eating and hanging out at Playa Azul, where the restaurant is. In fact, I regretted we'd booked Coco for a week because Playa Azul was offering rooms for the same amount of money and including breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank chantellep
Reviewed December 11, 2010

We just loved Tulum and Coco Tulum was part of this amazing experience. We booked a beach cabana and were one of maybe two other guests there at the time. I think maybe we were travelling at a good time of the year to be staying somewhere with no air conditioning in the cabanas but we didn't have a need for it. The location is just incredible, right on the beach and you hear the waves at night, have a hammock to relax in and the hosts are pretty laid back and great with suggestions of what to do. The shared bathroom is painted in bright colours and kept really clean. While there was no restaurant at Coco, we were directed down to their sister hotel Playa Azul for our dinner and the staff there were so friendly and we had a great meal. For $50 USD and a cabana on a pristine white sand beach and turquoise warm water, what more could you ask for. AND the ruins are just a short bike ride away.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed in a Cabana. Great value. The beach out front is incredible. The staff are friendly. Highly recommend it. Only thing was the WiFi signal was bad at the cabanas.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2010

The stretch of beach Coco is on is beautiful! If you want a peaceful & relaxing break then this is the place to stay. It is much quieter here than further North in Playa del Carmen etc, and is not really a party atmosphere.

I stayed in a Garden cabana, which was so close to the beach anyway that I was glad I hadn't bothered paying extra for the Beach cabanas!

The cabana was beautiful & was very clean, with a large comfy bed. The shared bathroom was much nicer than I had expected, and was fairly close to the cabanas (but just be sure to bring a torch incase the power goes out - only happens occasionally) and was cleaned regularly throughout the day. I was travelling alone (29yo female) and had no problems with safety / security while I was there.

The staff were friendly & helpful.

Although there was not a restaurant on site, there were a number of restaurants nearby that were nice - I recommend El Tabano for awesome food & service! Once again you might need your torch for walking home at night as the road is very dark.

The hotel is in a quite stretch of Tulum, and the closest shops are a good 15min walk away, and this is only a small store with snacks & drinks etc. I hired a bike and rode into Tulum centre and went to the supermarket there, but if you don't fancy the long bike ride & don't have a hire car, I would definitely suggest you stop and buy supplies before you head to Coco (bearing in mind they don't have fridges in the rooms).

Excellent all round thanks :-)

Haley

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank Haley1981
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We loved the cabana, location and clean beach. We liked the friendly staff (kept the place really clean) and the breakfast we had in a sister hotel. Hammocks by the cabanas and on a beach was a great idea - so comfy! The cabanas were rustic and incredibly romantic, I found.

The only problem with our stay was the weather - we had a tropical storm and for such weather cabanas are not the best choice - ocean is loud, it was pretty hot and windy, we were not able to sleep during these stormy night at all. The mosquitos were numerous but the mosquito net did a very good job.

Otherwise the location was very good - we managed to get to Tulum ruins by foot, although it was a very long walk. There are good restaurants near Coco (Amansala Yoga is good, for instance) and beaches are good, not super-calm but also not too stormy. There is a very beautiful calm beach within a walking distance, too.

We would love to come back to Coco and really recommend it, but we would plan our visit for a non-rainy season this time....

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple