“Sleek and minimal”

Ranked #5 of 83 Tulum B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Sleek and minimal”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I looked through a lot of resorts in Tulum, most of them going towards the yoga- spiritual retreat type. Coco appealed to me instantly because of the black and white logo and it's minimal but sleek website. It was also, while expensive, not one of the most outrageous. The place is exactly as in the photos on the website, even a bit better and the overall feel of the grounds is exactly that, minimal, stripped down to the basics, easy going, clean. I had the tower 2 room as I am past the age of walking out in the middle of the night to find a toilet. I was alone and it was perfect! The balcony, the view, the sun coming up in the morning- it was unreal! Had I been sharing the room, I would have been numbed about the bathroom not having a door but just a curtain. Just so you know. I found wifi to be spotless, had signal even on the beach. I am not really the type to return to a vacation place, but tulum is on of these places you want to see again and I would def want to stay in coco again.

Room Tip: If you don't want to share a bathroom, go for the tower rooms, front beach cabanas might be roma...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank DespinaPS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was our second trip to Tulum, and we spent five days and four nights staying at Coco Tulum in Cabana #6, right on the beach. When traveling to Tulum it is important to know what you are getting into - most hotels/cabanas/etc have limited electricity, no a/c, some (like Coco) utilize shared bathrooms. If you are aware of this beforehand, it's a wonderful experience!

Our little cabana at Coco was very clean, with a generously-sized (almost) queen bed, three large shelves to store our things, a safe, a large fan, table, and great little deck in front of the cabana with a hammock and two adirondack-style chairs. Our room was clean, stylish in a minimalist way, and very comfortable (a big improvement over some of the beach huts we stayed in last time), and the nice, cool breeze coming in off of the ocean means you wouldn't use A/C this time of year even if you had it. The shared bathrooms were less of an issue than I expected - flushing toilets, never smelly, showers had nice water pressure and good temperature.

The restaurant at the hotel, Juanita Diavola, was also delicious, and a great option for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We enjoyed some delicious chilaquiles for breakfast one morning, and a fantastic and very reasonably-priced wood fired pizza another evening.

For the price, this is a good value: on a desirable spot of Tulum beach, well-appointed, clean, and with friendly staff.

My only recommendation to the hotel staff would be to streamline the check-in process. It is somewhat slow and it seems that most of this paperwork/payment type of things can be taken care of in advance, rather than on-site as you check in.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We spent nine dream-like nights at Coco Tulum. The place is truly a gem. Words cannot begin to describe the beauty of Coco Tulum.

Our trip was a combined elopement/honeymoon. For us, the simplicity of the rooms was absolutely perfect for our romantic trip. A pristine room, comfortable bed, marvelous ocean view and heavenly outdoor shower. What more do you need when your heart is so overflowing and you are with the one you love. At coco tulum it is possible to live the simple life. All you need is love!

The grounds are immaculate. Natural and very well kept vegetation all around that provides privacy from one cabana to the next. And the bathrooms/showers are kept extremely clean. Bring a robe or something to throw on to walk to the bathroom. Much easier than getting dressed! And then there is magic of the two outdoor shell showers....they are truly heavenly!!

We ate pizza at Juanita diavola once...very good and reasonably priced for a beach front restaurant. Service is slow, but isn't slowing down the point of being on vacation?

Any cabana you choose will be an excellent choice! They are all beautiful.

We took long walks on the beach everyday, always comparing CocoTulum to other hotels. We are confident that we chose the best hotel in tulum. Simple and beautiful. That's our style and that's exactly what we found at Coco. We will definitely be returning and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in cabana number 10 which has a king size bed and ocean view. Every morning I was woken u...
Mayfield, N
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Couldn't be more happy with out stay here. The food is great and the beach and Cabanas are even better. It is close to many other restaurants and bars so you can always find a new place to eat or drink. Absolutely perfect stay!

• Stayed February 2014
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our two nights at CoCo. I must admit I would have enjoyed it more had I'd been 20 years younger. I'm just a little past the time where a shared bathroom is acceptable. That being said the bathrooms were very well designed and the staff kept them very clean.

Tulum is a rather expensive locale so for those on a bit of a budget (sub $100/night) this place is a very good option.

new york, ny
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was our third trip to Tulum and I preface this preview by saying that I miss the "old" days of 8-10 years ago before it became such a destination. We have been looking at Coco for about 4 years and tried to stay 3 years ago (we booked and then were "unbooked" because they got a large group that wanted multiple rooms for our dates). So, we opted to give it another try.

We stayed in a beach cabana and I don't think I would have it any other way. The sound of the ocean and the constant breeze made this perfect. So, all in all, I was quite happy with the accommodations, themselves. Some might want to be a little closer to the shared shower/bathroom (we were in #9 so almost as far as you could get from them) but I never had a problem with it.

We also rented bicycles from the hotel and it worked out fine (though about 1/3 more per day - worth to us for convenience).

The drawback for me was some (emphasis on "some') of the staff and a few of the statements made by Coco in their "tips" sheets that were attached to the confirmation email we received a week before our arrival date. I am also not a fan of the wood oven pizza restaurant with house beats... but that's my own beef probably.

Bottom line is this is on a beautiful, long stretch of beach. The room was exactly what I wanted and aside from some things I would do differently if it were my place, I was happy.

1 Thank t_toots
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed here in Nov 2013 and Jan 2014. We stayed in one of the rooms and not in the beach cabana, but no worries we were maybe 20 meters away from the pristine beach! Very calm, laid back vibe. Has all the ameneties you need. Shared bathrooms, resto on location (great breakfast), beach chairs, hammocks!! Very reasonably priced compared to other locations on the strip.
We were also traveling with a 6mth old who was 8mnths in Jan - if you ask they have a baby cot and can arrange transport to and from Cancun airport with a baby seat!! Really convenient!
We love Tulum, one of our favorite places on earth!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family