“Review for dive center not hotel”
Review of Xibalba Hotel

Xibalba Hotel
Ranked #69 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Let me start off by saying that this is a review of the dive center and not the hotel. That said since it is in the property here we go.

We arranged to dive the cenote Angelita. We arrived and filled out our forms, no one asked us for our certification, no one verified if we were advanced divers or anything like that.

The price was reasonable considering that it was only the three of us plus the DM.
The DM loaded the tanks on his truck and we were informed that instead of air it was an enriched air mix, and that we should leave our computers on air mode.

This raised some red flags so I asked the DM if I could borrow his analyzer, I analyzed the tanks and the mixes were a bit inconsistent. Either way we set our dive computers to the mix of the tank we got and went against the DM's recommendation erring on the side of caution.

Once we got to the dive site the DM realized that he did not bring a regulator for the one out of three that didn't have his personal gear, off he goes driving back to town because he didnt have a spare set either.

Once he got back one of the tanks was leaking, he did not have a set of hexagonal tools to remove the Yoke adapter. We scrambled asking the other DM's on site if they had tools, finally one did and we fixed the problem.

He gave us a good dive briefing that described the dive site in detail. We did our giant stride and our friend with the rental gear lost his weight belt "diver error 100%", so I gave him the 4 pounds I had with me and another DM gave him some of his.

We went down and the dive site did not disappoint, this was by far one of the best dives I have ever done. To keep things in perspective I am a dive professional from Belize that has been teaching diving since I was 19 and have logged over 9K dives, again if you are in the area YOU HAVE TO DO ANGELITA.

The divemaster that at first made me think twice, performed. This guy knew every nook and cranny of the cenote and gave a guided tour that was very impressive.

All in all my opinion is that I recommend this dive center and definitely recommend Angelita providing that the diver ensures that his DM does this.

Analyze the nitrox tanks together and set computer to correct percentage.

Bring a spare set of dive gear, tank included.

Bring a set of tools to remove yoke adapters and other small tasks.

Double check rental dive gear with the divers.

BEST OF ALL THE DIVEMASTER WAS TERRIFIC UNDERWATER, DEFINITELY MADE UP FOR HIS DEFICIENCIES AT THE SURFACE HENCE THE 4 STARS.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I like so much the place and the people there that is hard to put in words how glad i am to know them.
The Hotel is great, the dive center amazing... And now, after my 3rd. time there in 1 year i'm not sure if i call them staff or friends.

Robbie, Richie, Hairo, Tomaz, Ana... Everybody! Thank you all!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Spent 7 incredible nights cenote dive trip to Tulum with Xibalba Dive Center. Robbie & Richie run a great dive shop true experts in every sense. The caverns were out of this world, gliding through crystal clear water and passages decked out with pristine stalactites, as well as through thick haloclines and hydrogen sulfate clouds in deep pit cenotes. With all the tec cave divers there still felt at home doing caverns. I have dove all over the world, their air is the best I ever had, no headache, or after taste. Central location, all cenotes are with in 40 mins. Rooms are clean, great restrooms, all food with in 10 min walk.

Will be back, Thanks Guys
Henry

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Henry C
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our family stayed for 4 days. The location is 1 block from the main road though Tulum and 2 blocks from the road to the beach where you can rent bikes. We rented bikes one day and went to the ruins only a couple kilometers away. The rooms are very spacious and well kept. The morning breakfast is plentiful with options of ordering what you want, just tell Anna what you want. The whole staff is very helpful and courteous. I took two cavern dives with Hairo, the Xibalba dive guide to the Gran Cenote and Cenote Calavera or Temple of Doom. It was awhile since my last dive and Hairo took it slow for me and was safety conscience on both dives. We will definitely be back to stay the next time we are in Tulum

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank The_Hessian
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed in Xibalba on our fifth cave diving trip to Quintana Roo, having previously stayed in all-inclusive resorts and other boutique hotels in Tulum. Xibalba was our favourite and we will definitely be back. The hotel is quiet, clean and has a great little pool. Breakfast is excellent and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Having a dive centre on-site with nitrox fills available is really convenient for the diving and staying in Tulum is much nicer than the artificial feel of the big resorts. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lanny V
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed a week in the hotel, during which time we dove with the hotel staff for 4 days. The hotel is great. Set in a relatively secluded location, the rooms are spacious and well decorated. The shower is huge as is the bed. The team at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and Hairo, our dive guide, was amazing!! He is very knowledgeable and clearly very passionate about the cenotes and the local environment. The diving is also amazing and recommended if you are in the area. The beach is about a 30 minute walk away but is about a £3 cab ride. The centre of Tulum however is only a 5 minute walk and here you will find many restaurants and bars as well as the main bus station with routes to Cancun and Cancun airport. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I spent two days and took four cavern dives with Xibalba. The staff is amazing, helpful and honest. I left my wallet with all my money and credit cards laying by the pool washing station. A staff member saw it and ran it to me before I drove off.

The dive instructors are very knoledagle, safe and patient. At the end the dives they allow you to secure your gear in a locked room, so you don't have to carry it back everyday. Richie is a great diving guide, who made my introductory to cavern diving amazing. On all my proceeding trips to Tulum, I will be diving with Xibalba.

Thanks again Richie.