“Eating the entire ocean”
Review of El Capitan

El Capitan
Ranked #55 of 411 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We wanted to dine IN Tulum, not down on the beach at some haughty New Yorker's restaurant, so we paid El Capitan a visit. It may almost always be packed, but it's also not that big. We scored a table for four easily.
We had to order their seafood feast with whole deep-fried fish, more fish, ceviche, octopus, calamari, fried shrimp, lobster and more. We ordered for four but could have easily fed all four of us on the feast for two.
Overall, the seafood seemed very good. The deep-fried fish was a bit dry, and while the octopus was quite tasty, having a whole dead octopus served up was a bit much (cutting it into pieces easier to eat may be more attractive than lump o' octopus). There was so much food they had to give us another table to fit it on. We definitely did not leave hungry.
The service was great, drinks were OK, not great, and the atmosphere was fun. A dance contest carnival was taking place down the street, making for some entertaining people watching.
We would definitely return here, and compared to the beach row restaurants, this is a good deal on decent sea food, right downtown.

There are newer reviews for El Capitan

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We were a group of 8. I had fish taco's and was not disappointed lots of food enough to share with others a taste. 2 of the group had buritto and was too much to eat. One had the whole snapper and he enjoyed his also.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I always try to give a restaurant two chances. Because maybe the first visit happens to be an off day for the restaurant. It happens. That's what I'd like to think about El Capitan. The place is always packed, therefore seemingly promises good seafood. But honestly, go to El Camello just down a few blocks away for practically the same menu, better prices, and less sloppy food. We ordered Los Pirates tacos, which has shrimp, a cream of spinach sauce, and red cabbage. They were good, but very sloppy. My husband ordered the lobster. I tried it, and it did not taste fresh. It tasted rubbery and kind of like chlorine. I hope they use purified water for their cooking instead of tap or cenote water. I (to my misfortune) ordered the seafood rice place. I thought that it was going to be kind of like paella, but I was sadly mistaken. The rice was cooked in a flavourless tomato sauce (i didn't think tomato sauces could be flavourless in Mexico, but trust me, it was) with a variety of different "mariscos," including shellfish....which led to there being bits of shell in nearly every bite of rice that I took. I could not enjoy any of it. Not only because of the bits of shell, but also because that strange chlorine taste was ever present in my dish also. These days, when I want seafood, I go to Aguachilies!! Oh man!!! They have these tacos that are served on big leaves of lettuce instead of tortillas. The aguachidos and the smoke tuna are both incredible. Choose your seafood wisely while in Tulum. Sometimes, restaurants around here serve seafood that isn't as fresh as it could be, though most might expect that from all restaurants in a coastal town. Beware.

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Had the whole fish there today for dinner. We ordered 1 fish big enough for 2 persons. After the waiter had asked in the kitchen he agreed. We waited for more than 45 min for the fish (there were not many costumers - he could have told us before). The fish was a bit dry but ok.

When we got the bill the waiter said that tips are not included and it was even printed on the bill. He returned me 20 pesos less and when he saw that I recognised it he came back and reluctantly put 15 pesos more on the bill plate.

Althouth he tried to scam I left him over 10 % of tip. But he was swearing after us in spanish. Never again. Check your returnings!!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by our dive guide - we were not disappointed. We sat outside close to the sidewalk - it was a nice setting.. Drinks, appetizers, and food were all good. You can not go wrong here.