“Interesting little site”

Maya Ruins of Tulum Skip-the-Line Admission
Ranked #1 of 93 things to do in Tulum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tulum (Spanish pronunciation: [tu'lum], Yucatec: Tulu'um) is the site of a Pre-Columbian Maya walled city serving as a major port for Coba.[1] The ruins are situated on 12-meter (39 ft) tall cliffs, along the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula on the Caribbean Sea in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico.[1] Tulum was one of the last cities built and inhabited by the Maya; it was at its height between the 13th and 15th centuries and managed to survive about 70 years after the Spanish began occupying Mexico. Old World diseases brought by the Spanish settlers appear to have resulted in very high fatalities, disrupting the society and eventually causing the city to be abandoned.[citation needed] One of the best-preserved coastal Maya sites, Tulum is today a popular site for tourists.[1]
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We rented a car to be able to visit all of the ruins in this part of Yucatan. So we arrived at Tulum early, before the hordes of bussed tourists. The site is not great, compared with Chichen Itza or Coba, but the place has a certain charm, probably because of its special location overlooking the sea, and the fact that being small, it is easy to see as an entity, to imagine how life was in here centuries ago.
Not being able to go into the buildings or climb the structures detracts from the overall experience, but feel free to use your imagination.
The only real negative I have to mention is the nickel and diming locals do with every little thing, from souvenirs to the train ride from the parking lot to the entrance. I guess everybody has to make a living...

Write a ReviewReviews (25,506)
All reviews
in 883 reviews
"shade"
in 1,027 reviews

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Ruins are beautiful and it is wonderful to know that the tourists very much care about them, unlike ruins and historical places I have seen elsewhere, which people deface.( when we crossed the chain meant to keep away tourists from the ruin, a tourist actually scolded us, on hindsight I actually truly appreciated it) The ruins themselves each have a unique story, and they have been well preserved. I just wish we could get closer to actually see it one to one, it would have been more meaningful for me if I could actually physically touch the walls, look at the carvings up-close.
The beach off the cliff, is a gem, very white sands, blue water, well preserved ....exquisite!
A must see!
I would recommend going with for 10$ with Edventure tours, as an add on with their Extreme or Zipline tour.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Tulum ruins are interesting enough in themselves, but you need a good guide to visit them. If not, the experience is less than earth-shattering. How you procure a good guide is something I don't know. I went with the guide I was given. Language skills are crucial.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Delivers as promised. Extensive ruins from the Mayan civilzation. Nowhere near as crowded or commercialized as Chichen Itza.

Impressive.