“paradise location, bad service”

Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel
Ranked #71 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed June 1, 2013

stayed there for a wedding and we had a wonderful time.
on the regular days, service in the hotel was very slow and several items are just completely overpriced. Margarita for 200pesos is more than a premium for a nice vacation location. the fact that they charge 15% service charge is somewhat funny because in normal case they would get max 5%... slow and tend to forget...
the wedding was amazing in the place and service during event was great.
beach is fantastic and views like paradise.
place has no aircondition but breeze is fine.
if you are somewhat mobile and you can go to other restaurants I recommend the experience staying there.

• Stayed: May 2013
LasRanitasTulum, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Hello MarkusB2103.
Thank you for your feedback about your stay in Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel. Your opinion about the quality of service and prices will be considered to improve and serve our visitors properly. We are currently implementing a wider bar menu but please note that we only serve quality ingredients with original recipes.
We also are working on service, we are sorry for the inconveniences related to that part. We hope to host you again at our place in the future and spend an unforgettable vacation.

There are newer reviews for Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I just recently returned from our trip to Tulum. I had read some of the more negative reviews, and the authors of those negative posts are, well, loco; granted I didn't plan a wedding. The whole place is gorgeous. Las Ranitas is toward the end of the onslaught of hotels on Boca Paila Road; the Tulum hotel zone. Thus, it is very private. Our room, #21--one of the Cristals--was on the second floor with a secluded balcony and an amazing view of the sea. I initially couldn't find a photo of the bathroom and so I was a bit scared, but it was gorgeous. What a room! The service was, from management to cleaning staff, amazing and generous. I should especially mention Carlos. Truth be told, I had a tad too much to drink one night and he went out of his way to make sure I made it to my room okay. He's an amazing fellow. I don't have a single negative thing to say about Las Ranitas except for things the management or staff couldn't have the slightest control over--for instance, it's hot in Mexico. And, since it is at the far South end of the hotel zone taxi drivers will overcharge you for trips further North. I fear, though, I didn't take advantage of all they offered (massages and yoga for instance) so I can't speak to that. And, again, it was just me and my wife, so no big saga of a wedding event so I don't know what that's like. In short, Las Ranitas was outstanding, and Carlos is the man!

Hi Jason M.
We are grateful for your nice comments about your experience at Las Ranitas Eco Boutique Hotel.We are really happy that you and your wife had a wonderful stay with us as quality service to our guests is our main concern. We hope to see you again soon at Las Ranitas!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I attended a wedding this past week-end in which the entire hotel was booked with wedding guests, myself & hubby included. The drive down what appeared to be "hotel lane" was chock full of other hotels that seemed to range in price and amenities.

Another couple stayed at a neighboring hotel that had one of the most romantic rooms I have ever seen. Large, 4 poster bed with mosquito netting, tall pillar candles, cute water basins to rinse your feet before you entered the room and free continental breakfast. I mention this because they were simple details that I immediately wished for after entering our room at Las Ranitas. (I quite literally mentioned these things **ok NOT the candles LOL** aloud before I even saw the neighboring couples' room.)

Checking in was relatively seamless. They provided a lovely nonalcoholic drink upon our arrival as well. I loved the hotel and its easy access to the beach. It was indeed lovely with all of the foliage. There was a mix up with our room and while I was unpacking, we were told that we had to move to another room. Another couple experienced the same mix-up. Small issue.

We had bug repellent spray yet still opted to keep the patio door closed since the other windows had screens and used the ceiling fan to keep cool. (BRING YOUR OWN BUG SPRAY to last throughout your trip!!) There was also a small oscillating fan but we never used it. I preferred to not have AC anyhow. The rooms were kept very clean and I was impressed by the staff who cleaned the rooms because they always did a thorough job. The bedding/towels were clean and smelled wonderfully fresh!

The food was decent but expensive. The drinks, INSANELY expensive! We had most meals elsewhere, all equally expensive but better quality food in my opinion. Check the reviews online for other places to eat shortly before your trip to ensure the best experience. There are soooo many places to eat so do not feel that Las Rainitas is the your only option because its not. They are good, but explore and enjoy the other chefs that have different things to offer. The seafood is so fresh that you can't go wrong with that on any menu.

The staff was quite nice but alot nicer if you spoke Spanish but that's always the case in a foreign country. There was a server named Martin that was dare I say...an [--]! He seemed irritated by every request and we are very low maintenance kind of people. There were items in the breakfast menu that they never seemed to have and one particular morning Martin was almost forcing me to order something that I did not want. I wanted a croissant (they didn't have any) so he kept telling me to get the french toast. Issue with that is, I had it the previous morning and it was a soggy mess. All I wanted was some form of bread without any fixings and this frustrated him a great deal which really threw me off. I didn't want toast or pancakes, just bread. Simple right? Nope!
He eventually brought me bread that had been toasted to the the point where it could be barely chewed. All I wanted was soft, plain bread for my upset tummy. :-(
The rest of the staff was very nice so I want to be sure that I say that clearly. Just that one guy...grrr...it go to the point where we watched to see what section he was serving before we decided where to sit.
My hubby tore his pants moments before the wedding and female staffer at the reception desk was kind enough to quickly mend them for him.

The night before the wedding was a bar-b-q on the beach and it was delicious! The pork and chicken were amazing, salad light and sweet, guacamole amazing and drinks strong and plentiful! The groom spoke with Management prior because his guests complained of the weak drinks and high prices. The hotel definitely made up for it that night as well as for the wedding!

It rained during the reception and the wind gusts were so strong that most of the tables were blown over with all of the drinks, meals, etc. The hotel was AMAZING about re-locating the tables and getting everyone new plates and drinks quickly. Drunken guests dropped more than one glass and the staff was incredibly efficient in removing any glass from the floor.

WiFi only works near the reception area so don't count on getting service in your room.

Basics: Clean hotel, friendly staff, average food, expensive everything. I am not sure if I would stay there again. If they add free breakfast to your stay, I would consider it though. Everything in Tulum is expensive so a free meal goes a LONG way! That and stronger drinks! Most people just want what they pay for.

Hi MixedGrilNYC.
Thanks for posting your comments about your stay at Las Ranitas Eco Boutique Hotel. It is gratifying for us to know that your experience at our Hotel was nice. We truly apologize for the unconfortable situation with Martín, and we are working on improving the service we provide. We hope you visit us again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I recently had a wedding at Las Ranitas. Before I get into details, I want to add that the wedding day turned out beautiful! And the staff at Las Ranitas is great! And the food was AMAZING, thank you Chef for your impeccable food!

Las Ranitas is not a budget hotel or cheap venue to host any event. Do not go there thinking you can negotiate to meet your budget, because that will not happen. They may give you some small offers here and there, but it still comes out to a very expensive bill. We were very aware of this when we selected Las Ranitas to be our hotel and our wedding venue. However, with this said, it is not a FAIR hotel at all and will not help you with any wrongdoings on their part. We were not trying to ‘cheat’ Las Ranitas, but rather wanted fair outcomes to their wrongdoings. The only negative feedback I have is regarding the General Management.

We decided to book out the whole hotel to host our wedding. We made these plans a year before the wedding. However, as soon as we arrived, we were told that they had overbooked and we had to kick out three of our guests. Now, the reason why we booked out the whole hotel was so our close family and friends could be with us on this joyful celebration for the weekend. To ask that we kick out 3 families meant that these families, even if they booked last year, had to spend their time at a nearby hotel and not get to experience the joy of staying with the wedding party. Yes, they were welcome to ‘come by’ whenever, but we know its not the same. During this process, the staff made comments to some of our guests who did not want to move on why they couldn’t ‘help out the hotel.’ Excuse me? But this was not the guests’ problem. This whole ordeal brought great stress to us, the wedding hosts. We wanted to make sure our guests experienced a great time and not hassle and judgment right when they arrive. Conclusion to this ordeal, they wouldn't compensate the guests that had to be removed from the hotel (they offered free breakfast on the last day to the guests, but those guests were leaving early to the airport so they couldn’t take advantage of this). The parents and brothers of the bride and groom decided to leave the hotel since they didn’t want to frustrate any of their close friends and families. This was the sad part that our parents/siblings had to leave and yet, the hotel does nothing but blames their system change. Which in my profession as an IT Consultant, is not a valid excuse to any client.

Other outcomes of that ordeal were people had to be moved around and did not get the room they paid for which Las Ranitas did not even want to refund the difference! Again, it all comes down to fairness. We are not trying to cheat the hotel, but if you pay for a bigger room and get one of the smaller rooms to accommodate the Hotel’s issue of overbooking, they should have paid the difference without any arguments or questions.

I was told that Las Ranitas is under new management and workers are actually leaving since they do not agree with the new management. I first hand experienced the unfairness and the judgments from Las Ranitas management. I should have not since I was the customer who rented out the whole hotel and was hosting my wedding there. Again, not cheating the hotel – I didn’t even ask for the honeymoon suite to be free, we paid for it without question. Yes, maybe I am a little upset about that cause I know other hotels will give the bride/groom free room after booking out the whole hotel. But at that point, I did not want anything more to do with Las Ranitas.

In conclusion, go to Las Ranitas to eat, but I wouldn’t stay there or have an event there. I have more issues that we experienced with Las Ranitas that will be too much to write about it here. If you are interested in having a wedding there, feel free to message me as I can give you some tips of what not to do.

Room Tip: Don't book rooms near the lobby, you will hear workers early morning and your window is exposed...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank AmiraBliss13
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Las Ranitas beautiful and relaxing! Most importantly though, the staff is amazing. Onil, Carlos and the rest of the team make for a very enjoyable experience.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel in Tulum...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jerry36382
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Las Ranitas is more "resorty" than other bungalow villages around it, has more of a beach frontage, and if I had to guess, aims for the wedding and family business more than for "quiet solitude" type of environment. Rooms are fine: private, reasonably well appointed, good bedding, things generally work as well as they can work in the environment one subscribes to when choosing Tulum versus, say, a macro-hotel in Riviera Maya. Breakfast in the restaurant is excellent, priced on par with everyone else. Alcohol is expensive and priced generally twice higher than the neighbors ($18 margarita? $50 for the cheapest Chilean wine bottle?). Never tried the dinner: the outdoor restaurant is too windy to sit in at night,the indoor part is uninspiring, and competing restaurants, especially independents on the jungle side of the road look far more appealing, and/or are doing far better job promoting themselves.
Overall service is good and competent. It is indeed somewhat more "institutional" than others, which is actually a good thing, as far as I am concerned.
Internet and wi-fi worked only in the reception area, and quite poorly.

1  Thank repkaNy
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am really shocked by the bad review below -- we hosted a wedding for 97 guests here in February, and our experience at Las Ranitas was the complete opposite of the person below. We found the entire staff totally dedicated, they bent over backwards to make us and our guests comfortable. Many of our guests commented to us how impressed they were by the hardworking staff. We threw a whirlwind of events there and each one was unforgettable. Yes, it is expensive; use your negotiation skills. But the quality is unmatched. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't hold my wedding anywhere else. As for there being no A/C in the older rooms, that is to be expected in Tulum, and actually honored as part of the eco-friendly atmosphere. If A/C is an expectation, then Tulum is probably not for you, as only a few places offer it. Las Ranitas actually does have A/C in the new rooms, but I don't think it's necessary. I'm not sure if our room had it our not, we never looked for it as the amazing ocean breeze is the reason we come to Tulum. Pictures of our gorgeous room and view are attached.

Overall, if you are just looking for a hotel room, Las Ranitas is best for those with a big budget who would otherwise stay someplace like Be Tulum -- the prices of the new rooms at Las Ranitas are comparable, but the rooms are much nicer and the palapa restaurant, pool, and long expanse of beach are nicer too, in my opinion. If you have a smaller budget, I agree that other places have more competitive prices for basic rooms, and in that case I would recommend Rosa del Viento or Cabanas Tulum. It really depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I think I can say with confidence that I have a very good sense of what's on offer in Tulum, as my husband and I looked at basically every hotel on the strip and went inside to see rooms in many of them as well.

On the other hand, if you are throwing an event for a large group, I think Las Ranitas is the only place to do it. Ana y Jose has lower prices, but actually Las Ranitas was willing to negotiate with us and bring everything within our budget, and I think the venue is really unmatched. There isn't a spot in Tulum that is more beautiful than their palapa restaurant, nor a kitchen that can turn out such amazing food for large crowds. Pablo, the chef, is a gem. And most importantly, Angelina, the wedding coordinator, is like a miracle worker. We will never forget everything she and the Las Ranitas staff did to make our dreams come true. Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving us memories that will last a lifetime. We hope to see you soon.

Room Tip: Although the new rooms are gorgeous and have A/C, we still think Coqui 3 is the most beautiful! We...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple