“Vegetarians like it, too!”

Don Huacho Del Medio
Ranked #262 of 386 Restaurants in Tulum
Jessup, PA
“Vegetarians like it, too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We found this restaurant after exploring some of the quieter side streets in downtown Tulum. I was drawn to the menu because of the great prices, especially for the papas fritas (french fries) which my husband was craving, but wouldn't pay the high prices being charged at most other places. Being vegetarians, I usually stay away from the places that specialize in sea food, but like I said we went for some fries and beer. We ended up getting everything vegetarian on the menu....fries, nachos, guacamole and refried beans. Actually they were out of black beans, but when they say how disapointed I was, they went to the store and bought a can to make some for me! The nachos were fantastic, lots of avocado and tomato and just the right amount of cheese over fresh and crispy tortilla chips. The quacamole and refried beans (even though the beans came from a can) were really good, too. The french fries, however, need some improvement. What we loved most was getting to know the people working there....Alejandra and especially Freddy and Mateo. They were so much fun to have dinner with!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank bluehen11

Berlin, Germany
“Wont find a better local restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This restaurant is nothing fancy. Just some tables and chairs. But if you want to eat great fresh fish, other seafood or ceviche..l. this is the place to go.
Visited by locals only, you receive the best Mexico has to offer; warm hospitality, cold beer and great food cooked the way you ask for!
Cant recommend it enough!!

• Visited December 2011
Wisconsin
“Best ceviche in Tulum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Tucked away from the throngs of tourists is this little gem of a restaurant! We had fish tacos which were fine, but the superstar of our meal were the ceviche tostadas. An incredible portion size for a small price, fresh and delicious. After eating many delicious batches of ceviche at other local restaurants, I decided this was my favorite. We kept trying to go back, but Don Huacho del Medio Dia seemed to be keeping holiday hours. Go there! Vale la pena! (It's worth it!) Tip: It's across the street from Hotel Addy, just a block or two off the main street in Tulum. Just ask around to find it!

• Visited December 2011
York, Pennsylvania
“Locals Know....Best Cerviche in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

We asked cabbies where they like to eat...they raved about this place....with good reason. The cerviche (cebiche) was the best I have eaten. The beers were super cold. At lunch you can even get free botanos (free food with drinks). This is just a small locals place and is nothing fancy but it is clean, the seafood was swimming a few hours ago, and people are very friendly. I also should mention the food and drink is super cheap too!!! YUM!

1 Thank SteveTravels272
chicago, il
“Get the fish pil pil”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

We went to Don Huacho on our first trip to Tulum in 2007 and really liked it. When we returned to Tulum in 2009 it had moved from its location right on the main avenue and we never did manage to find it. If anyone knows where it is now, please send me a personal message. I would love to go back there when we return in a few weeks.
My favorite thing there is the whole fish prepared pil pil style. It is a Yucatecan preparation where they lightly coat the fish, fry it and douse it with a spicy liquid that tastes like it has lime, garlic and a touch of maybe habanero. I agree with the previous reviewer about the ceviche. I had ceviche at a few places in Tulum including Don Cafeto, and the ceviche at Don Huacho was definately the best. Prices are reasonable too, considering it is seafood.