New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Secret Garden Hotel

Secret Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 74 Tulum B&B and Inns
Munich, Germany
“A wonderful and beautiful place to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Secret garden was the first hotel on our trip through Central America.

The receptionists has been always friendly and enormously helpful with any questions we had ( and we had loads of questions )!

We booked a bungalow with bathroom, shower and toilet.
The room has been cleaned every day so it was always super tidy.
especially we were touched by the lovely bed decorations they made for us.

The garden is a wonderful cozy place to chill out and enjoying life.

The hotel itself is located at a place out of the tourism area but that doesn't matter at all just rent a bike and in 1/2 h you'll have a great time at the beautiful beach of tulum.

So enjoy your stay at secret garden you definitely won't regret it

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The common area was really nice and the room spacious and useful to have a kitchenette. Well located for the bus station in town and very friendly and helpful staff. Also useful to be able to rent bikes straight from the hostel.

The bed was not very comfortable and the water pressure was a bit rubbish but generally a really nice hostel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at The Secret Garden: from the initial clear and helpful communications to the moment we checked out, we felt welcomed and comfortable. The rooms are spacious; the garden is beautiful and little touches like tea, coffee and snacks being available are also really thoughtful and help make a great stay. Despite being only a couple of minutes walk from the main street, the hotel is still peaceful and a great place to relax. However, the best thing about our stay was the kindness of Joshua and his staff when my partner became very unwell- they really looked after us both and, despite a difficult couple of days of illness, we look back very fondly to our stay with them. Many thanks for everything!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nelson, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed for one night in October and found a wonderful little hideaway. Not on the busy street, and so beautiful with the garden courtyard. Our rooms were great. I slept in the loft and I worried I would be too hot but there was a fan and I slept like a baby. Would definitely recommend secret garden to my friends, only suggestion would be to google a map to bring with you - several of the locals we asked didn't know where it was.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

The Secret Garden was recommended to us by friends, and we were not disappointed! It is a lovely place; green,peaceful, and with nice, clean rooms with ac & fan. There were a few downsides which keep me from giving it the maximum score; the bed are a little small (if you are almost 2 m tall like me), the shower head should really be replaced by one that doesn't try to blast the water through your skull, and when sitting in the (otherwise very quiet) garden, continually a high-pitched sound can be heard, probably from a water pump. But overall highly recommended!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had such a rough transfer into Mexico from Belize (bad luck) and all I really wanted was a simple, nice place to stay to enjoy Tulum. I searched TripAdvisor and found the Secret Garden. I left with a home I hope to visit again and again.

Maura and Joshua are the kindest people I have met in my many travels and I felt at home as soon as the gate opened. My room was adorable, and comfortable, and created with a traveler in mind. A traveler who fell in love and stayed an extra night ;)

I rented a bike they had on premise and enjoyed Tulum knowing I had a wonderful home base to come back to anytime. I read by bedside lamp before bed, I had the freedom to come and go as I pleased, other guests enjoyed napping and relaxing in the outdoor courtyard and it was always lovely to pass Joshua or Maura's smiling faces. I cannot recommend Secret Garden more!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We booked this hotel based on the reviews and we were not disappointed. We were in one of the bungalows, it was quiet, homey, clean and comfortable. Our room did not have AC but this was not an issue as there were plenty of fans that made the room more than comfortable. The staff was friendly and very, very helpful. The hotel is within walking distance of many many great and affordable places to eat, shop and just walk. Its a short drive to the beach (we rented a car) and you can rent bikes for really cheap. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with AC if you are sensitive to humidity.