“Great food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ginger - CLOSED

Ginger
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ginger is now a hotel and the restaurant has reopened, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. The menu is completely new again and features delicious modern mexican recipes by Javier as always.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a hidden gem. The menu is small, but with something for everyone. In this case it is quality over quantity and it really pays off. Also, great cocktails, great artwork and warm service

• Visited June 2013

Darwin, Australia
“Heavenly gourmet food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

So many great options on the menu to choose from, I really think you can't go wrong here. This is THE place to have a romantic dinner (or a really nice celebratory dinner). Great atmosphere to the place, and very friendly staff, all add to a great time.

Visited December 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wedding reception”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I got married this past April at Dreams Tulum. Rather than do the entire wedding and reception on the resort, we looked into taking everyone off the resort and into Tulum for our reception. This gave everyone a break from the resort and another great experience to take away from their holiday. After looking on Trip Advisor we found Ginger. Enter Morgan and Javier! They were nothing short of excellent! Morgan helped with everything from transportation and decorating, to our wedding cake and little gifts for our guests. And then Javier cooked up an AMAZING meal for all of us. (We had 60 people with us) I can not say enough about the food. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. You must stop in to try it! All in all it was an amazing experience and evening. I can not recommend them enough for hosting any type of gathering you are thinking about. Truly a wonderful experience!

Visited April 2013
Seattle, Washington
“came on an off night - but would love to try again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Ginger was recommended by our hotel. We read some reviews on line and liked the contemporary feel of the restaurant. When we arrived (granted we were on the early side, around 6) we were the only people in the entire place. We figured it would start to fill up quickly. It did....with what seemed like a private party/charity event.
Everyone who came in knew one another- staff included. There was also a couple (who knew all the other guests and the staff) who were celebrating their 35 wedding anniversary so I'm not sure if it was a party for them or for the charity event (raising money for turtles) or both.
As glad as I was for people doing things for a good cause and happy for the couple celebrating their anniversary, it was just awkward for us. We felt totally out of place like we were intruding on someone else's private party.

The food itself was fine. Both my husband and I ordered fish (same kind but each with a different salsa). We opted for beer since they didn't have any options for sparkling wine. We also ordered a goat cheese "tart" as an appetizer which was very tasty but it was more like a quiche. So it was much heavier than we thought and the slice they gave us was HUGE!!!! We couldn't finish it and overall between that and the beer (very filling) and dinner, we were too full for dessert which I had wanted to try.

All in all the place is super cute, the food is good and it was fun to listen to some live music. The art on the walls was very interesting and the place has a great ambiance. I think we basically had the bad luck of hitting it on a strange night and it's probalby more our fault than anyone's for feeling awkward as none of the staff said or did anything to make us feel unwelcome.
If we come back to Tulum we will absolutely try this place again.

Visited April 2013
tulumista, Propietario at Ginger, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Hi Robin! Thanks for your review - you really liked everything about our restaurant! You did come on an atypical night - we were preparing for the turtle benefit, as you mentioned. I was the singer, I remember you - I passed by several times but it seemed like you were into your meal and conversation and I don´t like to intrude. We (my husband, the chef, and I) usually chat with anyone who gives an indication of wanting to! I´m sorry I didn´t, anyway :) Part of what is fun for us having our restaurant is chatting with our guests and making new friends.
All the best,
Morgan and Javier
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food in a lovely setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Ginger is located on a side street just off the main avenue in Tulum;

We arrived to a lovely friendly welcome and a nicely decorated modern restaurant. Great, efficient service and lovely food made for a memorable evening. Our children were made most welcome and enjoyed their menu choices ranging from pasta served with shrimp to chicken thighs.

Highly recommended, well worth venturing away from the main drag.

• Visited April 2013