“A magical place and time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Mahayana Tulum Beach Homes
Ranked #55 of 122 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A magical place and time”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We recently returned from a week's stay at this house (over US Thanksgiving week) and it was (and my wife agrees) the best family vacation we've ever had. Sun, sand, sea and cervezas in abundance!

There were 8 of us -- 4 adults and 4 children (ages 4-7) -- and the house and its amenities made for a delightful stay. Bob and Bonnie (the owners) are the most laid back of hosts and made the "vibe" truly relaxing.

The house is extremely kid-friendly. The jungle-like scene had our kids running naked and hanging from palm trees like monkeys (!). They had a blast. It's quiet, peaceful and serene.

We mostly cooked in but had excellent meals at Casa Banana (literally across the street), La Zebra (literally next door) and in town at Don Cafeto's (go here for authentic Mexican food).

Be mindful that if the breeze drops there's a good chance of mosquitoes. There are nets for each bed but you can also easily find mosquito coils at the Super Francisco grocery store in town. Don't let the little buggers get to you tho' :)

If I could rate this place super-excellent I would :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank BikeTourMexico

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Casa de Las Palmas is the place you want to go if you are looking for an awesome house with the coolest owners on the best beach. It really is a true paradise. From the moment we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised by the beauty of this property that we were lucky to call home for 4 days. Before we reached the house we knew this was someplace special. We arrived in the evening to a picturesque lighted pathway through the palm trees and natural vegetation. It was a very cool experience just to reach the house and our experience got better from there.

We were greeted by the owners, Bob & Bonnie, and after a warm welcome, we were given a complete tour of the property. They are very gracious people and made us feel at home. The house is very unique and impressive and they have put a lot of effort into making this home a place of solace.

We brought our three daughters, ages 10, 11 ,& 12, and they had a blast. They each had there own beds. There was more than enough room for us. They loved the setting and the proximity to the beach. Each morning we woke to the calming sounds of the ocean and were drawn to the waterfront. Weather it was an early morning swim or a walk on the beach. They also had fun talking with Bob & Bonnie and Bob even went swimming with them and showed them where to catch the best waves on the boogie boards. They also enjoyed going for a walk with Bonnie and their dog Lulu.

As great as the house and setting were, it was Bob & Bonnie that made our trip such a pleasure. We thank you for sharing your wonderful house with us and hope to return soon.

The Johannecks
Milwaukee, WI, USA

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank paul j
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We rented the 'Casa de las Palmitas', which is the one-bedroom apartment, located in the jungle about 100 meters behind the big beachfront villa 'Casa de las Palmas'. Overall we had an amazing stay. It's a real tropical paradise and getaway. Perhaps not as much because of the apartment, as because of Tulum as a whole. The beach is uninterrupted, uncrowded without any huge, ugly resorts to disturb the view, and the powdery sand, as well as the constant breeze on the beach is just fantastic. I have never experienced anything like it. Even better we actually got to see the big turtles nesting at night almost in front of Casa de las Palmas.

Compared to the prices on other hotels / rentals in the Tulum area, we researched on, the apartment is in our oppinion great value for money, but compared to different places on the mexican, caribean coast it's a bit overpriced.

The apartment has a huge roof top terrace with a magnificient view over the jungle. It's just to bad that the location in the jungle mean, that you can't really use it at night, because of the mosquitos. There are a LOT of them, so bring some repellent - the local ecological ones doesn't do the job! The bed is a bit narrow, and it was almost to short for my boyfriend who is around 180. The kitchen is good for making a cup of coffee or a sandwich, but it wasn't a place where I would do a lot of actual cooking. Other furnitures are, what I would call, modest, and the shower in the bathroom is in such a shape, that I couldn't wash my hair probably during our whole stay, so if you go here, don't be vain : ) To be fair, I must say though, that I have really long hair. As opposed to the nice breeze on the beach, it's really hot in the apartment and the fans in the ceiling just doesn't do it, so maybe it's not such a great idea to go in August as we did.

By the way, it's a really nice service that you get huge beach towels and water, and the property manager is so sweet and made us feel at home during our whole stay.

If you rent the apartment, make sure you will not be disappointed by remembering that the pictures here on Tridadvisor primarily are from the luxury main building and not from the apartment.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We stayed at the adjacent "Casa de las Palmitas" - a studio apartment behind the big house - and we had a great time...
The location is perfect, the beach amazing and the studio apartment really great value. It's a spacious room with full kitchen (which we wanted since we were traveling with our 16 months old baby) and a fantastic roof terrace with views over the jungle and partial views over the ocean. Considering that next door you pay over $200 a night for a room without a kitchen I would definitely say it's one of the best deals to get in Tulum Beach. The owners and manager are so nice and helpful that we felt very well taken care of.
We stayed for 10 days which was about the perfect amount of time and felt like we had a home away from home. We definitely recommend this place if you want a piece of paradise without having to pay the big price tag.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Alexabrown
CARBONDALE, CO
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed here with our grown children, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. it was perfect for the 8 of us. It has a very comfortable lay-out with outdoor spaces (including a rooftop terrace). The grandkids loved boogie boarding and our son kayaked. The beach is long, beautiful and walkable. Bob and Bonnie are very friendly and hospitable. We love that area of the Yucatan. There were good restaurants within walking distance. There are no big resorts with scads of people about. The two women who cleaned daily were very thorough and did a great job. I definitely would recommend this any family that wants a get-away.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CoJil
Lutherville, Maryland
Reviewed November 24, 2010

I had never been to Mexico. I was a bit nervous as we were passing those giant hotel complexes. But as we got closer to Tulum I was liking it more and more. Driving down the road to our house I was really digging it. Arriving at Casa de las Palmas, I was entranced. I think we all were. The doors on the first floor open all across the back to the most splendid view of the Caribbean, all sand and aqua blue sea. You look through a slew of palm trees, many with hammocks. There is an outside bed, lounge chairs. And I took many a nap by the sea. And I haven't even gotten to the house. There were 9 of us. Ages 60- 9. Plenty of room. And so many places to go and be by yourself. It never felt crowded. We played cards in the evening on the outdoor table.
The beds!!! My first night, Bonnie said there were some noisy vacationers at La Zebra. I thought she was kidding. Never heard a sound, with all the doors open, too. The palm fronds make a sound like rain, very soothing. My husband spent some nights on the third floor deck, under the stars. And I have never seen so many stars. We were lucky, there was a full moon rise and a sunset at the same night. Bonnie and Bobby provided the guacamole that night. Our last night there, we all watched the sunset and moonrise. Most mornings, many of us got up for the sunrise. as well. Then there were the turtles! We were lucky enough to be there for the turtle hatching. Our granddaughter even got to help a few into the water. Who gets to do that?? Just a magical place.
We also visited some ruins and a fabulous cenote, called Grand Cenote, the freshest, clearest water, I've ever seen.
And Johhny was such a treat. Bonnie calls him The Butler. And boy, is he a cleaner. Everyday he was there. And after he left, it just sparkled. Plus, he was so kind. Very patient with my poor Spanish. I'm sorry to say, we did not get him to prepare our meals... next time, we will.
Also, do not neglect to go into Tulum town. Ask Bonnie and Bob where to eat. They recommended El Camello. So good. Or we would just go to the vendors on the side of the road and bring back a bag of tamales. Grilled chicken, fried fish, tacos, I could go on.
We were to tired too go out on the town, but there are plenty of places to do that.
I cannot wait to return. When I do go back, I would bring a fourth of the clothes i brought this time. You just don't need too much down there. If you like yoga, ask Bonnie where to go. Two of my daughters went with her. They said it was the best!
People have talked about the mosquitoes. For some reason they didn't bite my husband or I. They did get some of the kids. There was bug spray for us. Also sunscreen. I brought our own and left behind what we didn't use.Try the kayak, very fun. Enjoy, you won't be sorry. Thanks, Bonnie & Bobby. Hope to see you sooner than later!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Nancy142447
Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I write this review with hesitation because I dont want to spoil the very special vibe Tulum and the owners of the house have going. This is our third year doing our family vacation in Tulum and our first year staying at Casa de las Palmas. AND this was our best trip to Tulum by far! While we have had wonderful experiences in Tulum at other accommodations, spending the week at Casa de las Palmas really allowed us to truely relax and make ourselves at home!

The beach- the beach is uncrowded, serene and gorgeous. We love that there are no highrises, chains or large resorts on this beach.

The house-We traveled with 2 children under 5 and having our own house was wonderful. We prepared most of our meals at the house and went out for dinners. The beach has many good resturants just a short walk down the beach. The private lawn sloping to the beach with sand, palm trees, hammocks and a small children's swing was the perfect play area for our family. In the mornings we could completely open up the back of the house to the ocean breeze (great wide angle pics on locogringo), relax in the hammocks and let the kids immediately start playing in the sand. The rooftop terrace provides for exceptional sunrise and sunset views! The interior of the house is appointed beautifully. The linens are superb and the beds are extremely comfortable. The upstairs rooms have doors opening to the ocean breeze and ceiling fans for those needing a little extra breeze. We slept like babies. The kitchen had everything we needed for the week. While we traveled only with our immediate family the casa is set up so that a large family or several small families could have plenty of space and privacy.

The owners have really thought of everything to make your stay at their casa super enjoyable. We had the pleasure of having Bob as our host and he was absolutely splendid! They truly have a gem on paradise beach!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family