“"The best possible room (view) you will have in all your life” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azucar Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Azucar Hotel
You added Azucar Hotel to your Saves list
Ranked #33 of 74 Tulum B&B and Inns
chicago
“"The best possible room (view) you will have in all your life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

We reserved a (not so big) room in Azucar Hotel for 4 days. The room value is all in its location. The rest of the room is nice, but the central point is that you are right on the beach in one of the most wonderful strand of sea ever. You do not need to walk to the beach, you are already on it. You can sit, read, relax, and just walk (10-15 steps) to the water when you want to swim. That's it. The price is much cheper than other cabanas we slept, which were much further away from the sea. For me this is the best hotel I have been and I will ever be.
Once you get used to the wonderful, spectacular, legendary location, you can even think there is wireless (right on the beach!!!), and that (for me great added value) the hotel is powered by solar energy!!! So your footprint is practically zero. And everything works great! Nice, isn't it? It is not fake, it is possible, and moreover, beautiful, majestic, wonderful. The best room hotel ever.

Room Tip: all rooms are top view. We were in Arrecife
1 Thank viajero875

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

We found Azucar Hotel via internet and were convinced by the enthusiastic reviews we found on trip advisor (and we could not agree more!). We booked 4 nights at Cabaña Arrecifes. We could not be happier! Just as we parked we were surprised by the beautiful garden. When we stepped into our cabaña we were totally amazed! It a small, but beautiful cabaña, with a sliding door literally steps from the water! More than a great view, you ARE on the beach, there is no price for that!
Inside is very clean and although a bit small (but if like us, you want to spend most time outside, on the beach or on the beautiful balcony, you will be entirely satisfied), it is nicely/simply decorated, you start relaxing immediately!
The staff was also very friendly, our cabaña was cleaned daily and the sheets and towels changed every 2 days, I believe. The hotel is run mostly by a solar panel, the light inside is just bright enough and the water temperature in the shower was fine too. It has a mini-refrigerator, ideal to keep some water and fresh fruit. We had no problem with the wireless internet, we used it occasionally, as we were not particularly interested in spending our time on the internet, and it was just fine.
There is no restaurant at Azucar, but you have nearby places who serve food. If you are driving, you can go to downtown Tulum, where food is cheaper and probably better...
While we were there, we looked at other cabañas on the beach, and for us, this one seemed unbeatable! It has one of the widest views, and is quiet, small and beautiful! We have paid more for another cabaña nearby, a bit bigger but with disappointing views (photos did not correspond to the actual view...) and distasteful decoration, so definitely Azucar Hotel is a great choice.
I hope Azucar never changes, because we surely want to go back!

2 Thank catiushca
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We just completed a 6-night stay @ Azucar in the Cabana LunaMielera and had a wonderful time. The bungalow is somewhat rustic but fit our needs to a tee. It is right on the beach with an unobstructed, million dollar view. The room has a safe, refrigerator, sink with eating utensils, and a table w/chairs. The canopy bed is completely enclosed by a mosquito net and curtains (although because it was windy most days, we had no problems with mosquitoes the whole time!). Lastly, it fit our budget in terms of cost especially during the high season. We love the place and will not hesitate to stay there again. For previous reviewers who expected more, you need to stay in a more expensive bungalow or just stay in Cancun!

Other observations of this hotel:

- It is not really a hotel (no restaurant, reception area, etc.). We liked this fact as we felt much more at home, like the place really was ours and not part of some controlled environment.
- Marco and Raoul are the property's caretakers and offered to help us whenever we needed them, otherwise they pretty much stayed in the background and let us be, which we appreciated. Yes, I did have to rely on my high school spanish once in a awhile to communicate with them but we are in Mexico folks!
- Marta is the cleaning lady and she worked around our schedule every day to clean our bungalow when we went into town or for a walk on the beach. There was no knock at the door at 7am for "housekeeping".
- Every night coming back from dinner, Roberto (night security) would greet us and help me wedge my car into the tight parking spots.
- The only problem we encountered was booking our reservation thru booking.com. Even though we confirmed our reservation in US dollars, my credit card was charged $30 extra for the conversion to Mexican pesos. However, no problema, Monica the reservation agent for the Azucar Hotel, came thru and refunded the difference in cash.

Muchas Gracias Marco, Raoul, Marta, Roberto, and Monica for your help and smiles. We can't wait to see you again.

Ron & Mari, San Francisco, CA,

1 Thank wand3r3r
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We spent 4 nights at Azucar. The staff was very helpful, and always around, which is surprising as there is no reception desk. When we arrived, after dark, we were a little concerned but as soon as our taxi pulled into the parking lot, there was someone there to greet us and lead us to our room. There was also a security worker who was always there- even though it is dark there, we never felt unsafe. This hotel has several rooms right on the beach, and one that is set farther back in the 'jungle'. Our room was clean and cozy. As the hotel is solar powered, the use of hair dryers, TVs and other appliances like that are not allowed. We didn't find that to be a problem. The sound of the waves was better than any TV noise. The room comes with a refrigerator, which was very helpful. The hotel has a few restaurants within walking distance, but they are generally more expensive than the ones in town. There are always taxis around, so it is easy to get to more economical eateries. You can't beat this hotel for location and friendly staff. The only concern I would have would be if I were travelling with people with disabilities. The room has three levels which entail stepping down a step, and the room is also narrow, so I doubt you could get a wheel chair or walker in there. Other than that, I would heartily recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilcookie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

This was our second time down and four/five of us stayed in Azucars biggest suite. It's elevated so the views are spectacular and the wind is lovely and refreshing but not sandy. It has a great little kitchen and fridge so we cooked and had cold beer all week. The space was beautiful and each day Martha came in and lovingly put it back in order for us. On our second day two of the guys cut a bunch of coconuts down and prepared them first as drinks then as snacks for our entire group (4+3 friends that had joined). They wouldn't accept any pesos and it really made our day! Staff was incredibly nice. Azucar is pretty small so it feels like they are really taking good care of each guest.will
be back!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Kikibikini
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We stayed in Azucar only one night: unfortunatly because I just wished we would have stayed for one or two extra nights. This little hotel, right on the beach is gorgeous, cute, romantic... When you arrive you will park your car in a gorgeous parking surrounded by palm trees and sand. The hotel is right there on the beach. We stayed in the Coral room. It was gorgeous, clean and the only noise we heard from the room was the one of the waves crashing on the beach. I found it hard to find the "reception", but it is in fact on the other side of the road (only a few metres away). I liked the decoration of the room: very simple and rustic, yet very confortable. Candles are provided as well as matches to light the room at night, even though there is electricity 24hours a day (but it is better if you want to embrace the Tulum ecological experience). We woke up early to watch the sunrise= magical. Tulum beach is beautiful, wild, with the softest sand I have ever felt, in total contrast with the resort philosophy. It is very peaceful and tranquile. Our "neighbour" was there with his wife and young son: he went fishing for their dinner. Restaurants on the beach were a bit over priced for Mexico but delicious. We saw poeple moving around with bikes: we had a jeep bur I would have love to explore a bit more with a bike. I was heartbroken to leave this place. There is a special philosophy about Tulum, something different, respectful, ecological, close from nature. I will be back and I will choose the same hotel. Wi Fi is also a plus!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Review for Cabana Lunamielera

Azucar is a beautiful hotel with old a world charm. The dark wood and antique lighting fixtures, combined with lovely white linens, makes the room pop. The rooms have a small kitchenette; no stove or hot plate, however there is a fridge. The bathroom is charming, and clean with a rustic feel. I have uploaded some pictures for viewing.

But as much as I love this place I don’t think it may be for everyone. Azucar is for people looking to go back to basics. As luxurious it may sound, you need to think about what type of traveler you are before you book. There are no televisions in the rooms, you can’t use a blow dryer, and you need to unplug the fridge before you go to sleep. This did not bother us, but it may bother you.

As for Tulum itself, this was our first trip, and we loved it. It’s an amazing place to be, and you’ll feel like your soul is at peace there. But here are some pearls of wisdom you should consider:

Rent a car - Tulum is small but if you want to go explore this region you need to have a car. It’s also convenient for when you go grocery shopping…and you will need to go grocery shopping.

Pack liquid body soap - I am not sure if this is the norm in Tulum but in Azucar the water is filtered ocean water which makes bar soap not lather. Don’t get me wrong, we felt clean after our showers but we didn’t feel as clean as we normally feel.

Grocery shopping - There are some good restaurants I think are amazing like Tita’s…but you can’t go to a restaurant morning noon, and night unless you have cash to burn. Since our room in Azucar didn’t have a hotplate we only bought things we didn’t need to heat up like fruit, and stuff to make sandwiches. We lost some weight living off of this for a week.

Be clean – If you decide to make your own food, put the leftovers in the fridge, and close garbage bags with food, in a knot. Remember, Tulum is part jungle so there are always critters roaming about looking for something to munch on. Camping rules!

Mosquito repellent – Speaking of creatures looking to munch on something…beware of los mosquitos. They are more ruthless out there. We managed to avoid major damage by never going out without wearing repellent, using electric repellent plugins, and incense coils for outdoors. You’ll find this stuff in any grocery store or rather BODEGA. Also, you might want to bring bug repellent wipes, it’s just as affective, and you can bring a bunch. The average cost for liquid bug repellent in Tulum is ten bucks, and if you bring your own you’ll use it up in two days (two ounce rule!)

All in all it was by far one of the most pleasant hotel experiences I have had in a long time. I loved being able to walk down to the beach from my room, and wake up every morning to the sound of crashing waves. It was just heavenly. I miss you Azucar.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple