“perfect for us”

Ranked #7 of 121 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
“perfect for us”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Playa Selva is beautiful.
The service is excellent, friendly and calm.
The rooms are neat, clean and tastefully furnished.
The beds are good. The ownership is outstanding.
The beach is well kept and wonderful.
The location is removed but accessible.
My family loved it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
brazil
Reviewed March 7, 2012

As Tulum keeps growing and getting more crowded and commercial, this place has managed to carve out a section of beach and palmy shade where you are an easy walk away from restaurants and bars, yet secluded and quiet as if you were on a more remote stretch of water. Highly recommended. I stayed in one of the newer bungalows, upstairs, and never was without electricity and even good WiFi reception. No television, however, which for me was a positive point. Friendly help and excellent e-mail attention when making reservations.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zoakiel
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Playa Selva for our honeymoon in July of 2011... I can't believe it's taken me so long to get around to writing this review! I can easily say that it was one of the best trips I've ever taken, and much cheaper than the others at the top of my list (like Ireland and Spain).

When we arrived at Playa Selva after the short drive from Cancun, we were welcomed by the owners (I think their names were Mauricio and Manuela? Sorry, it's been 7 months...). The house was still being cleaned, so we left our bags on the front porch and checked out the property. The grounds are absolutely pristine! We loved the hammocks, the sweet little couples area (two adirondac chairs on a little hill in front of the beach), and the lounge chairs on the beach! After a few minutes, we were told our beach house was ready.

We stayed in the two-floor beach house, which was gorgeous and had an amazing view of the ocean. The first floor consists of the kitchen/dining area and the bathroom, both of which are really cute. We had planned on cooking a lot more than we actually did (the grocery in town is underwhelming), but it was nice to have a refrigerator for our booze and salsa. :-P The owners even left a bowl of fruit for us, so we had delicious fresh fruit for breakfast several days!

The second floor is just a bedroom and another covered porch with hammocks. That's where we spent most of our time! Every morning, I would wake up with the sunlight streaming into our room and go out onto the porch to read in the hammock. My husband would wake up an hour or two later and bring me breakfast or something to drink... it was so lovely. Literally my only complaint about our entire stay is that the mattress is a little more firm than I like. I typically buy the softest mattress available, so take that with a grain of salt. Next time, we'll probably just bring along our mattress topper for some added cushion (and yes, there will DEFINITELY be a next time).

While we were there, the owners were having a new two floor bungalow built - one unit on each floor - that was supposed to be done before we arrived. The workers were so quiet and considerate that we barely noticed them at all, but the owners felt so bad that they offered us and the other couple there (plus their adorable little toddler son) a free tour! Mauricio took the five of us through a nearby nature reserve (the biosphere?). We got to ride innertubes down a natural lazy river, take a boat ride, and hike through ancient ruins with almost no other tourists. It was gorgeous, free, and so much fun! That lazy river was SO MUCH BETTER than the one we paid to float on at Xcaret.

It's February now and I live in Wisconsin, so today I was pining for a trip back to Playa Selva. I literally got on Trip Advisor to look at pictures and relish the memory of how great this trip was. Oh, and I should also mention that when I was searching for hotels in Tulum I was very nervous about booking Playa Selva, despite the great reviews. I was nervous that it was too good to be true for the price, or that we'd get to Tulum and find out that the place never existed and all the reviews were fake. Yes, I'm paranoid. I can't tell you how happy I was with my decision to stay at Playa Selva for our honeymoon. Now I just hope we can afford another trip there this year!

Room Tip: The A-frame bungalow is great if you don't need a refrigerator. We loved the two story beach hou...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WomFranklin
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Loved it!! Beautiful clean beach, great owners, not to mention Javier!! Cabana Maya has a great view of the sunrise and the dog, uma, was a sweetheart! We had a great time cooking in the communal kitchen!! There was a small crab that would come in at night but I guess he lived there too!!! It's a great place for families, friends, and lovers!! We will go back again and again!!

Room Tip: Cabana Maya has the best view of the beach. And sleep upstairs with the windows open.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Woothoo
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I can't recommend this place highly enough, and for a low-key, "non-resort" type of traveler, it's the best place to get a truly authentic Tulum experience. There are no waiters or room service, but there is a fantastic communal kitchen ;). You won't find loud music or many lights after dark, but you will find complete candlelit peace and quiet, perhaps more here than at any other spot as the private houses/bungalows are more intimate than a hotel. For our second (or third?) trip to Playa Selva, we decided to celebrate our wedding there, and Manuela and Mauricio went above and beyond in order to create a truly memorable, extraordinary event. Highly recommended for couples, though it is certainly kid-friendly as well. Our only problem at this point is that we've recommended Playa Selva to so many people, we're worried we might not be able to score reservations again, ha. Seriously, it's a total gem and a stunningly beautiful, relaxing spot with incredibly warm and accommodating (and cool!) hosts and an overall ultra laid-back vibe.

Room Tip: We're partial to the beach house and Swiss Family Robinson-style 2-floor bungalow because they...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank erin f
Sandy
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This was my beach dream vacation come true. Playa Selva is not for one who needs any more amenities than a lovely host, modest accommodations and a beautiful beach and sea. If you require more, this is not place for you. Beautiful, comfortable, perfect.

Room Tip: We rented the Beach House and it was perfect for us.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank J S
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Stayed for five days. It was wonderful.great place for couples or families.

• Stayed November 2011