“Professional crew - example for many kite clubs” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ProKite Tulum

ProKite Tulum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The goal of ProKite Tulum is to provide the best quality lessons and kite trips. From complete beginner to the advanced rider that wants to bring it to the next level in surf strapless, freeride or freestyle, we can help you achieving your goal. This includes lasted gear of COREKITEBOARDING, IKO certified instructors to ensure safety and professional teaching, our school location has a beach club, bar and restaurants for the rest of the family. Cedric have strong experience and knowledge of the area to guarantee your experience with us. We aim to create an unforgettable experience.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Knokke, Belgium
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Professional crew - example for many kite clubs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

staying in Tulum for one week , we organized lessons for my children , myself I am a kiter , all reservations done from home , follow up was correct . Altough the sea and wind conditions are not ideal for learning , the way they teach and comfort their customers is amazing , a slow and carefull approach of the sport , teaching every safety aspect at the same time . I can imagine that many people follow courses only for several hours and teachers leave behind with students not on the board yet , I can certainly believe that many people continue while at home or at a other vacation . My daughter didn't continue because she was a little bit afraid , but the teacher , patrick , has been patient untill the end , keep up the good work and hopefully you can hold on to teach every day with the same motivation .

Brooklyn, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“These guys facilitated my "falling in love with kiting"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I had been curious and somewhat apprehensive about learning kiting for several years, but when the right opportunity arose while in Tulum, I'm glad to have had my first attempt be with OceanProKite because they made my 3 day course extremely memorable. They were not only professional but very easy going and friendly and I genuinely enjoyed ever hour spent with them. I learned with Patrick Cohan who is extremely patient, energetic and can explain the somewhat intricate process very clearly. I had a blast with OceanProKite! If you get a chance to be in Tulum and want to learn how to kite, learn with them!!!

1 Thank TatianaMcCabe
los angeles
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“even for old guys!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

i thought that kite surfing was going to be one of those sports that i just would miss as i started to late in life. but i saw these guys on the beach and went up to talk and i just had to try. they say they have taught from 7 years old to 70 plus, and i believe them. they are professional, nice, and offer perfectly structured instruction to move you along as fast as possible. i only had two days with them and got in about 5 1/2 hours and got just short of a water launch. but i am hooked and will proceed, at home and will go back. a perfect place to learn and to proceed on your own.

my instructor was, Cyril, but with a french pronunciation. he was terrific, moving me fast, getting me to understand. pushed me but built my confidence.

couldnt ask for more

2 Thank rabenbru
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Quite expensive, and they double booked a private lesson”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Let me start by informing folks this is an expensive sport to learn. Expect $65-75 usd per hour for private lessons. Packages were $390 usd for 6hrs which is typical for this area. I was a bit sticker shocked but decided to splurge as I've been wanting to learn for a few years now. What you get is to learn how to properly unpack and set up the kite, the theory of the wind window, how and where to fly the kite, kite safety, kite control both on land and in the water, and get some water time with the board, depending on your learning curve. I'm sure most schools follow the same methodology and the course outline and process was very good. It's important to note that the wind conditions can bear a lot on your learning curve and a good instructor won't waste your time and $ if conditions aren't great. Your schedule needs to be flexible to get the most out of your learning experience. That said keep in mind shops need to keep folks employed and cannot always wait for "perfect" conditions to run a business. My initial instructor was good, and recommended we stop after 2hrs as the wind was dying down. I called the next morning and got the thumbs up the weather was good. We went through proper equipment set up again learned from the previous day and began to master kite contol on the beach before stepping into the water to begin body dragging up and down wind. We spent about 45 mins in the water body dragging and the wind started diminishing again so the instructor suggested we stop and pick up later that afternoon. The instructor said I was progessing very well despite less than ideal winds and very rough seas, so competency and learning curve wasn't really an issue. I had 5hrs into lessons at this point and was informed that they block off instructor time in 2 hr increments only therefore I would have to purchase another hour of time. I returned at 3pm as agreed upon with the instructor, and was informed he was with another client, but another instructor was able to take his place should I not want to wait. In hindsight I should have said no and waited but I was reassured the new instructor could pick up right where I left off earlier. We repeated many of the same things learned earlier-line setup, launch, kite control, etc and I spent over 1.25hrs with the new instructor demonstrating skills proven earlier. We finally began repeating body dragging again up and down wind in the water to prove I had control of the kite in the water (where i left off earlier with the previous instructor) and then we're done with the lesson. Winds were less than perfect, seas were still rough, and the line got tangled once which ate about 15 mins sorting out. You cannot control mother nature and things happen, i understand, but considering one just spent over $450 ($390 plus another $65), much of that repeating skills for a third time, I was completely disappointed having never progressed to the critical step of even handling the board in the water, as I had expected. Based on earlier skill demonstrations and discussions with the first instructor I was led to believe that another 2hrs I'd be at least be working with the board and attempting a water start. Their staff seems knowledgable so that's not the issue here. There was no doubt time wasted switching instructors. Double booking when you have a known client coming at a pre arranged time is inexcusable and bad customer service no matter what industry you're in. There was very costly time wasted due to poor judgement and in my opinion they failed to deliver. Considering $65-75/hr one would expect far better service.

4 Thank dvern
Vienna, Austria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tailor Made Kiteboarding Lessons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Professional kite-school with great teachers! Very flexible, motivated and professional team! the course will be tailored to your abilities and you´ll always have enough time to practice while beeing safe at any time! you´ll have a short theory session and then straight setting up and flying the kite :-) ... then practice each step as long as it takes until you feel comfortable. We had a great time and managed after few hours to do our first "little" ride :-) can only recommend to everybody (GIRLS YES this is a SPORT for US :-) have fun and make sure you get your lessons booked at Ocean Pro Kite School in Tulum! Thanks guys - was a great time!!!

Visited March 2012