“Secret hideaway restaurant”
Review of El Patio

El Patio
Ranked #194 of 572 Restaurants in Tulum
Description: Mediterranean and Caribbean fusion. El Patio by Campanella is an oasis in the heart of Tulum Pueblo
Reviewed August 7, 2018

My favorite place in tulum town! Quiet ambiance, shady peaceful garden, stylish set up, highspeed internet, quality food with the best panna cotta you will ever eat! Place to go!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed June 10, 2018

El Patio is a shabby chic italian inspired restaurant in Tulum town. Tucked away in the back patio of a hotel, it provides a romantic setting and vibe with great food. We had the amazing hummus salad with fresh seasonal grilled vegetables, the shrimp dish and the steak. Both portions were large and came with the most amazing mashed sweet potatoes. Definitely, a place worth checking out!

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed April 24, 2018

My wife and I were looking to kill some time before gorging ourselves at La Chiapaneca, so we walked into El Patio to have a drink. We ended up staying several hours, I had several mango margaritas and the owner even went out and bought a jar of olives to make my wife a dirty martini. Great drinks and a friendly staff.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed January 5, 2018

There are so many restaurants in Tulum now that it´s become hard to choose from. In our many visits to Tulum, I can see that the ones with the "excellent 300+ reviews" are usually so busy that the standard and service has plummeted. El Patio is an up and comer on Tripadvisor as it´s quite new. and because of this, doesn´t have many reviews yet but, trust me, this is a MUST go eat place.

On this particular visit we had been trying a different restaurant on each night and it didn´t take much convincing to go and try El Patio. I saw the bad review on here which concerned me at first but 3 other couples in our hotel highly recommended us to eat there so we just presumed that it was another "unsatifiable" travel writer review! Funnily enough, we were told by one couple that the funghi pasta was the best they had ever eaten! So, of course we tried it and it was amazing!! We couldn´t believe that someone would write anything other than it was AMAZING!

The owner, an absolute charming man and culinary artist, came to our table and told us a little bit about their concept, history and about the importance of their fresh and sustainable seafood catch. At no moment did he overstay his welcome. Being a chef myself, I could feel the passion and the job satisfaction in serving meals of this calibre.

Everything we tried was amazing. It´s like a fusion of Mediterranean cuisine with Caribbean Pre-Hispanic gastronomy. It´s unique in it´s details, yet makes complete sense. Great job El Patio team, you´ve taken it to the next level! Hasta pronto!

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

We have tried all the Italian restaurants in town El patio actually opened with a
Little below average Italian food. We were excited about a pasta con fungi that could have been great but was needing salt plus we ordered an rather exotic combination of crudo/ ceviche tasted fishy and it was not very nice, and also, not enough selection of fresh salads.

One more thing is that the staff is very excited and almost too much to where they come off as a little pushy with the food and service.
The court yard is cute with we sat outside.

Date of visit: July 2017
Campanella C, Direttore generale at El Patio, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2018

It took me a while to reply to your second comment because I’ve been trying to understand the reasons of your bad reviews. I just came to the conclusion that for some reason you must have a personal issue with our restaurant. You came first time and submitted a review explaining how bad your experience was at El Patio and that’s ok, it might happen that a customer wasn’t satisfied for a variety of reasons but going back to a restaurant you didn’t like after only few weeks sounds just weird to me... then again you posted a bad review... something that I learned through my culinary experience is to be patient and serve customers in the best way possible no matter what... I will invite you for the second time to identify yourself next time you visit us so we can better understand your expectations. It would be lovely to hear from you :) Cheers