“Good Food served Quickly”

Charlie's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #79 of 421 Restaurants in Tulum
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I found this restaurant on the main drag in Tulum on Hwy 307 in November 2013. Our first time in this area. Food , service and price was very good. Also clean!!!!!

We tool another day trip today (Friday May 30,2024, to Tulum. We split an appitizer for lunch. Food service was great. However the salsa was way to hot for us but they have another mild salsa.

Then after visiting along "Beach Road" with so many choices for food we decided to have our evening meal there again for the second time on the same day. This time was better than the last. We were able to sit at a table along the sidewalk and watch the traffice and people walk by.

The people are nice and friendly and help you get your order just right. Was not crowded at all. In and out in 30 minutes.

Oh, bathrooms are clean also! Don't be afraid to ear here.

Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had lunch here last week and enjoyd the best fish tacos and pollo tacos during our weeklong stay in Tulum. Second try for us at Charlie's and it was just as great as the first. Visa is accepted here and they gave us a great exchange rate. If you are looking for a nice curbside dining experience on the main strip in Tulum Peublo, don't miss Charlies

Reviewed February 27, 2014

In the past 4 years I've eaten at Charlie's a few times. Food and service have always been overpriced and just so so, but the atmosphere (wine bottle walls) and music helped to compensate for wome of what was lacking. Last week we eat there for the very last time. When we arrived there was only 2 other diners in the entire place. Although the waitress arrived quickly, once our drinks were served everything went downhill from there. Our food took a very long time to arrive and was nearly unedible; thankfully we had some chips and watered down salsa. While we were discussing out disappointment over the food and service....A LARGE RAT ran across the dining room floor and straight up the wall just inches behind my companion's head and into the ceiling! We asked for our bill and were surprised at the amount - without noting it, the staff had added a tip that amounted to nearly as much as our meal. I suggest that if you're going into Charlie's, stick with bottled beer and watch your tab.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

The food was good we ate at lunch time. Each of our group of 8 tried a different item. Be careful ot the sauce they bring with your nachos unless you are a fan of VERY hot!!! The patio is uinque with all their bottles

Reviewed February 19, 2014

The place looked clean with a nice back courtyard, so we gave it a try. Several very pleasant surprises after a week of Mexican food. Never have I seen the guacamole served in a crispy cheese shell... wish I'd taken a pic, but we devoured it too quickly. The blue corn empanadas were good, as were the sauces, fresh fish was very undercooked, so had to be sent back to the grill. The next big winner was the carnitas plate, succulent and plenty of it.

The one disappointment, which makes me question if I will go back, was that despite being with a local, and there only being 3 of us, the bill arrived seeming a little higher than I'd expected, and upon examination, there was an extra 54 pesos at the bottom of the addition, with no notation as to tax or tip, so it was kind of hidden. When I asked the waiter about it, he had me talk to someone at the front counter, who sheepishly said they had added a 10% tip. This rarely happens to me in Mexico.

So give it a try, especially the crispy queso guacamole.