“Good food”

Charlie's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #84 of 425 Restaurants in Tulum
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Charlies was good. I don't know if I would go back just because there are so many other places to try and nothing really standed out here. Food was good and the art on the walls were neat but nothing amazing

Reviewed February 6, 2012

The morning smoothies are to die for! Breakfast is fantastic and so are the tacos

Reviewed February 5, 2012

On a quiet Sunday evening, which is really quiet in Tulum, we walked a bit around town and thought it would be a nice thing to just sit at a nice place and watch the world go by.

We were not really hungry, just wanted to have something to snack on and sit and enjoy. We had walked by this place many times and it always was busy and looked inviting, so we went in. Unfortunately there were no free tables in the front part, so we sat down on one of the long benches.

I asked if we could just have some fresh salsa and tortilla chips to snack on and got looked at very strangely by the waiter who raised his lip, made a face and walked off.

He came back with a basket of chips and bowl with what looked like home made hot sauce, ok, missunderstanding... so I walked to the counter and asked what I think might be the owner if we could have some fresh tomato salsa please.

He nodded and ordered it right away, then brought it to us personally. When putting the bowl on our table he asked if we had already placed our order and I said that we only wanted to have a snack.

He also looked very strange at us and said that they have a whole range of foods on their menu.

Well, we know that, but first of all we do eat differently, but most importantly we only wanted to have a snack.

We felt very uncomfortable and not very welcome, and by the way, the fresh salsa, the pico de gallo, was very poorly made, watery, lots of onions and not much flavour at all.

We might have come back for more if we would have been welcomed and well received when only ordering a snack, but this did not make us want to come back for more. It was poor customer service and very snotty, maybe they are spoiled by too many tourists... I don't know, but this was just the right way to push one off, nothing warm and welcoming here.

We don't mind to spend money and have good meals, this evening we just wanted to have a snack and I think you can expect good service for that too.

1  Thank beate64
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We enjoyed sitting in a courtyard under the stars eating really good Mexican food. We particularly enjoyed the poblano chile enchiladas and the tostada!

Reviewed January 22, 2012

Charlie's is a great place to eat for lunch when visiting Tulum. We stopped by for lunch after walking around the main street in Tulum. Our waiter was very friendly and the service was very prompt. We sat outside on the patio which is covered by trees so you don't have to be in the sun. We started with guacamole and chips, which were very yummy. Next, we had the chicken soup, followed by the chicken tostados and potato soft taco. Everything we ate was very delicious and authentic. Nothing was too heavy and it was a great place to relax, eat, and enjoy a beer. I would absolutely return to Charlie's if I visit Tulum again. (Also, it is connected to a great gift shop that has higher quality items to buy as gifts for yourself or others. Highly recommend stopping by there!)