“Just go ahead and book a stay at El Pez”

El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel
Ranked #9 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We just returned from a 5-day stay in Tulum, split across two hotels, El Pez and Ahau Tulum, which is about 2-3 km further south on the beach. Both currently rank at #7 and #8 in Tripadvisor reviews, and I fully see why, as both are very excellent hotels. I would return to either one. However, they are different, and I will try to differentiate them in my review for persons trying to choose a hotel in Tulum. For those deciding between Tulum and other locations, I'll also try to differentiate Tulum from other options.

This was my first trip to Mexico, and for my first trip I had several conflicting desires: beauty, luxury, safety, character. Tulum beach wonderfully straddled this combination - a small beach-side walkable village of off-the-grid luxury hotels sandwiched between private cabanas and occasional campsites of hippies who wouldn't look out of place in Phuket or Goa. I'm not surprised at all at Tulum's popularity among New Yorkers - it's walkable with a strong sense of place, luxurious, stylish, and a bit crunchy at the same time. By day three, I found myself wanting to do a juice cleanse and study with a yoga guru (I had another cucumber margarita instead). It's that kind of place. (Most of the negative reviews you'll find for hotels in Tulum are really not about the hotel at all, but are about a mismatch between Tulum and what the traveler really wanted. If your idea of paradise is ruined by having to throw toilet paper in a trash can instead of a toilet, or low water pressure in a shower, off the grid luxury is not for you. However, as an actual beach camper, I was really impressed but how luxurious Tulum hotels were - eco-luxury with emphasis on the luxury.)

Now about El Pez itself. What really differentiated this hotel was the wonderful hospitality of the staff (I never entered the hotel without being offered a drink, or some other assistance) the well-designed rooms and common areas, and the location on a beautiful cove filled with birds. The wonderful El Pez staff deliver a thermos of coffee to your room at sunrise. Sitting on our sea view deck drinking my coffee watching the sunrise over the cove while dozens of pelicans flew around us is a memory I will treasure. I missed both the coffee and the pelicans when we moved down the beach to our next hotel. Once we moved down the beach into Tulum's 'zona yoga' I also missed the quieter, more relaxed vibe of the more northern stretch of beach. There's a very strong euro-yoga-bikini-bootcamp-hipster vibe in the more southern section of beach, and I found myself working harder to suppress my inner New York cynic once we moved further down the beach.

Room Tip: Room recommendation: I recommend the second-floor sea view rooms, which are more private than the fi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
ElPezTulum, Gerente at El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Guests,

What a nice description about your stay at El Pez.

Thanks a lot for the words you wrote about our staff, we are so happy that you had that amazing feeling while staying with us.

Hope to see you again soon !!!!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great cabanas. We got a beach front cabana which was beautiful, the cabanas are close by to one another, but it was still fine. The place is lovely, clean and the beach is great. Gotta do better on that morning coffee, but beside, our stay was lovely. Attentive service, very nice staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,

Thanks for taking the time of writting a review at Trip Advisor about your stay at El Pez.

We already took note of your comment of the coffee, and hopefully next time you visit us you notice the change. Thanks for making a constructive critic.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel was absolutely fabulous! Location: amazing! The rocks and cove are a perfect place to watch pelicans and other birds hunt and dive and it was just beautiful to watch the sun rise over the rocks - just outside our room. The other hotels are located along flat (albeit beautiful) stretches of beach. Ours had a wonderful, ever-changing view on the cove. (However, it was not a great place to swim if that's why you're there. We walked about 15 down the beach for great swimming.) Another perfection: El Pez is located a short walk to a group of other hotels, restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Our room was 75 feet off the water. We had a private porch with a lounge and small table with chairs. The setting really can't be beat!

Staff: amazing! The concierges bent over backward to make sure our stay was perfect! Including, arranging our continental breakfast to be made special for us by 6:00 a.m. for our long excursion day. Speaking of food: expensive (everywhere) but amazing! The free continental breakfast (fresh fruit, yogurt, delicious granola, fresh squeezed juice, coffee or tea) was a perfect start to our day. And if you can't wait until breakfast at 8:00, they bring coffee to your room at 6:00 each morning. The restaurant/bar has a wonderful lounge on the water to sit and relax and great happy hour specials. I can't say enough about how wonderfully El Pez delighted us!

Other pointers for Tulum: rent a scooter to get around. It's a great way to get to the Tulum ruins, into town and other nearby locations. Taxis are also plentiful. El Pez staff can set you up with any excursion you want to experience. Have fun and enjoy!

FABULOUS !!!!!

Thanks a lot for writting such a nice and descriptive review about your stay with us.

Ths staff is really proud of your words.

Anytime you want to come back, you know you found your house at Tulum

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I just finished an excellent seven night stay at El Pez in Tulum. The hotel was exactly what we wanted: A large, lovely room overlooking the ocean (we stayed on the second floor bedrooms of one of their five villas), well-maintained with many nice touches (i.e. bottled water, fresh beach towels, robes, etc.), extremely attentive staff, and concierges and managers (thanks, Gabi, Matteo and Orfe!) who went out-of-their-way to ensure we had the right guides, local information and reservations.

El Pez has a favorable location, near the start of the southern part of Tulum’s Zona Hotelera, but on a private, secluded cove. Winds keep the shore clean, which is not the case at other properties. It is a short walk to yoga, restaurants and boutiques.

Breakfasts (included) were appetizing and filling, and the wait staff was charming. We had lunch a few days at the restaurant, which we were fine given the convenience of not leaving the beach.

The guests are a mix of couples and families with younger kids. Twenty-four hour party people may be bored; for everyone else, it’s a great choice.

Room Tip: Beach-front, upper floor rooms get best of ocean breezes and no upstairs neighbors.
1  Thank jeffzilka

Dear Guests,

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed the week that you stayed at El Pez.

Thanks for taking the time to wrote a review.

Hope to see you again soon !!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at El Pez in a ground floor seafront room. The property is in excellent condition with a comfortable bed and wonderful sea breezes coming in at night. The staff is great and even though we had a few issues with our toilet, Matteo and his team took care of everything right away. We worked with Orffe to reserve a tour to Sian Kian and they packed us a breakfast to go since the pickup was at 8 am, before breakfast officially starts. Others have mentioned the beach cove that is beautiful to look at and lay out in the sun, but it is true that the water isn't very swimmable due to the seaweed and rocks in the cove. A 5-10 minute walk leads you to a beautiful stretch of beach, but it would have been nicer to have it right out front. Only other little nit: they brought us hot water for tea early and because they use the same flasks for coffee, the water had a coffee flavor - note to El Pez staff: keep the flasks for hot water separate! Otherwise, a beautiful property with all the comforts you will need for a relaxing vacation! Tulum is truly a paradise destination!

Room Tip: Seafront rooms are beautiful. Ask for 2nd floor if you want more privacy.

Dear Guests,

Thanks a lot for writting a review about you stay at El Pez.

We really appreciate all your comments, and we are working out in improving the morning coffee.

Hope to see you again.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I went to El Pez with my nine-year-old son and I must admit I was surprised by the atmosphere, the breeze, the sound of the sea. Actually, our room was almost on the sand! At El Pez you will be able to experience sea life and to be in contact with nature all day, all the time.
It is a peaceful place where you can relax, walk along the magnificent beaches, stop at a bar to listen to a band, go to the cosy shops along the shore, do sports, rent a bike or a motorbike. All my dreams came true! What about the staff? AMAZING PEOPLE! They were always there for us, from the front desk assistant Gabi, the cooks, the waiters, the bartender and the captain of the crew, Mateo, an outsanding person who was always willing to give us ideas and suggestions on places to visit and his boss John, the manager. They made magic in a magical place.Thanks

Room Tip: I would definitely return very soon and I will rent the same room, seafront one. The view is owesome...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
ElPezTulum, Manager at El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear guests,

Thanks for taking the time to write us a Trip Advisor review.

We are glad to read that you have such a good time staying with us, you know El Pez will always be here for you.
The staff is really proud of your words

Hope to see you soon,

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My mom and I only stayed one night, but it was absolutely beautiful. We hated to leave and I almost cancelled our scheduled tour of property elsewhere. We were welcomed with Coco Mojitos which were spectacular. They were happy to keep our bags before our check-in time and afterwards the next day. Breakfast was free and hot and delicious. We hate we didn't get a chance to eat lunch or dinner. The only downfall is the beach area. They do their best to keep it cleaned, but its not really swimmable. All in all, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Martha,

Thanks for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review about your stay at El Pez.

Hope next time you can stay more than one night.

Greeting from shinny Tulum,