“Smart and peaceful hotel”

El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The good:
* Stylish rooms with lovely big beds.
* Stylish hotel
* Very good food in the restaurant. Breakfast was excellent, especially the pancakes.
* Peaceful hotel on the beach. It's relaxing to fall asleep to crashing waves.
* Very friendly (cute) and helpful staff
* Lots of free water in rooms, and cute beach kit provided each day.

The bad:
* Strange open plan bathroom not separated very well from bedroom. I like my toilet to close off from where I sleep.
* No television. This is a design decision to focus the guests' attention on relaxing and their surrounds. Having said that, it's the guests' choice what they want to do in their free time. We had some wet days where some television might have passed the time.
* Wifi was sometimes unreliable, in particular when it was raining. I assume they use satellite internet.
* The adjacent beach is not perfect. It's better to drive further north to some of the beautiful beaches.
* We were interrupted by the cleaner on several days. I hate this. I wish they had "do not disturb" signs for the doors. Then again I suppose they only have the cleaner around for a few hours a day.

Conclusion:
In spite of all the 5 star reviews I'm afraid I don't think this is a 5 star hotel. Having said that, I think 4 stars is very good, and this is a very good hotel. The staff are really very helpful. The location is amazing, right on the beach. I love hearing the crashing waves. I think it is a bit expensive for what it is.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank garrad

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed in the King Room in the Beach House and it was just perfect. Everything that all the other reviews have said. This is a perfect location for those who want tranquillity and privacy as the Cove itself makes it feel like you own intimate stretch of beach. (not great for swimming as very rocky). Great Cerviche and Guacamole served with a smile on the beach. No air conditioning other than leaving the doors and windows open and listening to the sound of the waves, which I loved. And not a lot of wardrobe space so I was living out of my suitcase but that did not spoil my pleasure.
I would not call this place a "hotel" in the traditional use of that word. It is more like a large guest house and that makes it special. If anyone wanted to have the perfect private wedding you could rent out the entire facility (if you could afford it) and have a truly great time with all your guests. I can find no real negatives with the hotel or with Tulum and would highly recommend El Pez to couples especially.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms on the ground floor (rather than 1st floor) as they lead straight onto the beach...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
ElPezTulum, Manager at El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Siobhan,

Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor! We were happy to hear how much you enjoyed staying at the Beach House-it really is a special addition to the Pez property! We hope you are able to return & enjoy our delicious ceviche & guacamole again soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We shared the Beach House with other unknown guests and it exceeded my expectations. The bedroom was spacious, very clean and bright, and it was wonderful to have our own private patio area and large lounge chair. The hotel is right on the beach. There are palm trees on the beach and a selection of hammocks there as well. It is idyllic. Pelicans fishing is a joy to watch. Julia and Matteo greeted us warmly and gave us great service, and Raoul was always at hand with a smile and ready to help. If you seriously want to get away from it all, relax, enjoy the sun or the shade, eat fabulous food - I loved the guacamole especially, but all of the food was delicious and you want peace and quiet, this is the place. The price included breakfast, and the breakfasts were delicious. It is a few miles outside Tulum, and Tulum is a lovely town to visit. Nice restaurants there too. I would like to stay in El Pez again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Margaret!

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We were so happy to hear how much you enjoyed staying at the new El Pez Beach House! We all really appreciate your recognition of the staff. We hope you are able to return and stay with us again soon!

All our best,

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I've been to a few islands in the carribbean and none of them compared to my trip in Tulum. I went with my mother (it was a birthday gift from her) and we had an absolute blast. El Pez was absolutely beautiful! The staff ALWAYS went the extra mile to make sure you were satisfied. Especially Mateo and Julia. They both were so friendly and helpful, always giving us advice on activities to do, the right restaurants to go to, etc etc. The food was great, I know a lot of times you have to worry about getting sick in a foreign country, but that was no problem with El Pez. The room itself was fantastic, we stayed in a cabana. The maids were quick and very thorough. I even ended up sleeping on the large lounge chair on the patio one night (wearing misquito spray of course). The beach was safe, I was able to walk on the beach at night with a flashlight Julia provided me and had no problem. There was a good police presence in the area as well. If you want to go somewhere you can REALLY relax and "get away" then Tulum is your destination and i highly recommend staying at El Pez. I cannot express enough how great the service was and how beautiful my whole experience there was. It was a trip I will never forget.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mkthreEVA

Eva!

Mateo & I were so excited to read your review! Thank you so much girl for the awesome shout out! You & your mom were so sweet. It was definitely our pleasure to chat with you both & give advice on all Tulum has to offer! We really hope to see you both again soon!

Much love,

Julia

P.S. Michael is sorry he didn't meet you & sends his regards from Nicaragua! :)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We chose El Pez for the last few nights of our month long honeymoon, whilst we stayed in Tulum for a few days, and what a brilliant choice it turned out to be- the highlight of our honeymoon. Great breakfast, great views, attentive staff- particularly Mateo and Raoul. Brilliant cocktails (particularly the cocojitos), and nothing is ever too much trouble. Also walking distance to good restaurants and other bars. Staff are incredibly helpful and Chilled bottle of moet awaits honeymooners. I would highly recommend El Pez and would choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing El Pez as the finale to your honeymoon! We always enjoy being able to share special milestones like that with our guests. Mateo & Raul want to thank you for your special mention of them & their exceptional service! It is our pleasure to assist our guests in making memories of a lifetime. We hope you are able to come back & celebrate many anniversaries to come!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from another perfect stay at El Pez...our third in a row. We stayed there two years ago during our wedding week, with our entire wedding party and honeymoon and then again last year for our 1 year anniversary. This second year anniversary trip was just as wonderful as both previous trips...if not better!

The rooms continue to be spotless and well appointed. We love that each room has a wonderfully relaxing sunbed on the deck for those hours during the day where it's too hot to be in the strong Mexico sun. The food and drinks are wonderful. We particularly loved their guacamole and pina coladas. And their breaksfasts (included in the price of the room) are unmatched....seriously the best we've ever had on vacation. There is a variety of choices everyday, ranging from pancakes, to french toast to eggs any style (huevos rancheros was our favorite) and they go out of their way to make sure you're happy with whatever you choose.

We ended up staying an extra night (it's just too hard to leave) and were moved over to their new beach house - El Pez Beach House - right next to the main Pez. I didn't think it could get any better, but wow, they did an amazing job with this place. There is a great common space for people to gather, eat, drink and generally hang out. And the rooms are incredible...really big, really nicely decorated and super comfortable...not to mention right on the beach. It doesn't get any better. The beach house would be the PERFECT spot to get a group of friends together, rent out the whole place, and enjoy wonderful Tulum for a fun vacation.

A special mention of Pez managers Michael and Julia. They make this place what it is. They are friendly, welcoming, conscientious of the environment and resource issues in Tulum and make El Pez feel like a warm and welcoming Bed and Breakfast, not a hotel. It's that personal care to details and guests that make this place truly unique.

We can't wait to go back next year (or maybe sooner!)

Hi Taylor!

We were so thrilled to have you & Norm stay with us again! It's always been such a pleasure to have you stay with us & it's wonderful to be a part of your anniversary tradition! It was perfect that you got to stay in the Beach House this time too, so next time you can get your friends/families together to come down and join you (we hope)! Our entire staff has really enjoyed getting to know you both & we are really looking forward to your next visit! :)

Much love,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We ended up at El Pez by accident, having asked to be moved from The Mezzanine and we were immediately delighted and sure we had come home. We were in the beach house and it was great.

Things you might love:
Right on the beach
Pelicans on a large rock just 100 feet away
Great breakfast
Great staff
Great room

Things you might love (although we were fine)
You cannot swim in this beach - rocky
You can hear traffic noise - next to a speed bump so you can hear large engines setting off

But all in all it was great and we're going back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ElPezTulum, General Manager at El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

We were happy to be able to have you stay with us. Thank you for your succint review! We are sure your fellow travelers will appreciate the pros and cons broken down and to the point. We were happy to see that you enjoyed your room in our new Beach House. We hope you are able to return to Tulum and see us again sometime!

Regards,